Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:17:30 PM

Author Topic: steps per readout  (Read 1642 times)

steps per readout
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:06:58 PM »
Boxford TCL160

Is there any way to get  a 'steps per readout' on my Mach3 turn screen.

I want to know exactly how many steps my steppers are doing to rotate my tool turret 360 degrees.

Currently set to 33.3333 step per in motor tuning and I'm using the M6start macro which is attached. (anyone care to look it over please)
Tool turret moves as it should when calling M1T02 M2T02 M3T02 etc etc.

I will fit a home sensor to the tool turret so that I can home on tool No1

I'll take it forward from there unless anyone can help.

I know I should be searching the forums and I did, problem is when you search back so far there is a host of information on this topic (ATC) that it all becomes very unclear.

I am trying.

Thanks

George
One step at a time!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: steps per readout
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 05:30:39 AM »
Is there any way to get  a 'steps per readout' on my Mach3 turn screen

Not directly. Your steps per are a calculated value for angular moves based on your system.
Actual pulses sent for a move  can be measured if you have the right electronic equipment. My friend used one
which had 6 channels and would show actual pulses sent to some  accuracy of 10 parts per million.
Just saying that there is a calculated value and a measured value and also there can be a difference depending on where you are measuring the pulses.

You could add a DRO on the screen, the basis of which would be a calculated pulse value and that value would show in the DRO. Not sure if it would be worth it since you could always  just use the calculator. Also can use the axis calibration feature to compared a move.

FWIW,

RICH
Re: steps per readout
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
I think a good old mechanical method is the one to go for,
I'll Measure distance/angle moved against steps/per set and tune from there,
Thanks for your help.

I'm a man of many question s but I'm getting there.

Regards

George
One step at a time!