Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:55:27 PM

Author Topic: Old Dynapath System 10 upgrading to Galil CS 18420 ICM 2900 No idea on wiring???  (Read 51971 times)

I've done some searching and still have not found what ports and pins I use for the servos and encoders. I've read I don't define the locations?? Is that true?

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
You don't use ports and pins for the servos or encoders on the Galil.  They are handled in the Galil plugin.  This is because their function is known.  Meaning there is a specific place to wire them up on the Galil ICM and we can make a direct correlation as to what they do.  However, we don't know what input or output you want to use for what.  So the ports and pins tab is a way of letting you, the user, map that functionality the way you wish. 

Steve
Thank you Steve.  How would I go about wiring the spindle control? It is looking for a 0-10volt signal.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
In the plugin config dialog, you map S to the desired Galil axis.  Then select "Single Ended 0-10" check box. You would then wire your VFD 0-10v input to the MOCMDx (where x is the axis you chose) terminal and then tie your VFD ground to any GND terminal on the Galil ICM.  You can also wire the VFD on/off signal to the AMPENAx circuit of the Galil ICM.  You will also need to map and wire output to control the direction of the VFD.

It is important that the PID values (KP, KI, and KD) for the Galil spindle axis be set to 0 and burned to the controller if you are not running with encoder feedback.  When in this mode, the plugin controls the speed of the motor with the OF command.  You will see these commands being sent down in the debug log file if you turn on logging.

Do not check the "Spindle uses encoder" check box unless your VFD can accept a +-10v command like a servo drive does.  Even if your VFD provides encoder feedback.

That is it, in a nut shell.

Steve

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
Thanks for that Steve. That is the next thing I have to tackle.

Someday I think I am going to read thru all of the threads and take notes and make a manual/tech sheet with all of these types of questions.
I think that would be very helpful. Maybe have examples of simple I/O settings. That's next for me, how to make an output run a relay.
*****SNIP*****
It is important that the PID values (KP, KI, and KD) for the Galil spindle axis be set to 0 and burned to the controller if you are not running with encoder feedback.  When in this mode, the plugin controls the speed of the motor with the OF command.  You will see these commands being sent down in the debug log file if you turn on logging.*******

I don't really understand any of this. What is KP, KI, and KD? and OF command???

Sorry for my ignorance....
Ok, so I got the spindle working kinda... I get 0-10v out of my 4th axis (MOCMDW) the problem is the voltage is negative. Can I just hook the in reverse? Also how do I link buttons to commands in mach3? For instance: I have a green and yellow button, I'd like the to run cycle start and feed hold. How would I go about doing that?

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
Proportional (P), Integral (I), Derivative (D).  These are the main terms that describe how the servo loop operates.  They have everything to do with how a servo system operates.  Galil lets you "tune" these values with KP, KI, and KD commands.  OF is the Galil voltage offset command.  OF0 will be 0 volts offset while OF9 will be 9 volts offset.  And anything in between.  This is command that we use on the Galil to basically use the axis as an analog output.  But...  KP, KI, and KD need to be set to 0, otherwise they may change the base voltage of the output!  

The Galil is a very complex and flexible motion controller.  A good bit of knowledge about Galil controllers is pretty much a prerequisite to using one with Mach effectively.  We cannot possibly put all of that into the plugin docs.  If you know how to operate a Galil outside of the Mach environment, then setting up the plugin via the plugin docs is pretty straight forward.  However, if you don't have a good handle on the Galils, it can be challenging (to say the least).

The good news is that the Galil documentation is pretty good.  And they have a nice forum on their website with lots of answers.  Also, the application notes are an invaluable resource when it comes to connecting the Galils and wiring up ICMs.  

There are 3 things that anyone needs to know a good deal about when using the Mach/Galil combination:

1.  Servo theory and operation.  This means getting to know your servo/drive combination pretty well too, as they are all a little bit different.
2.  General Galil concepts and operation.  This includes wiring the ICMs up to the servo drive, inputting the servo tuning parameters,and BN (burning) them to the Galil's NVRAM.  Making the servos move with only the Galil terminal is a good first step.  
3.  Mach.  Mach started off life as a system that drove stepper drives from the parallel port.  This paradigm is most noticeable in the "Ports and Pins" configuration dialog.  Later on, the concept of external motion controllers came to life.  But these external motion controllers pretty much don't resemble a parallel port at all.  So there has always been this sort of square peg/round hole type thing going on.  So the way we implement an external controller is by providing "virtual ports and pins" via the plugin.  That is why we have a pin map in the Galil plugin documentation.  So you just installed Mach and have fired it up, right?  Is all of this immediately apparent?  Unfortunately, No.  

None of this comes fast and easy.  I can't tell you how many nights, days, and weekends I have spent pouring over the Mach and Galil docs.  And I'm still learning every day!

But it is all worth it.  The Mach/Galil combination is poetry in motion.

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
Ok, so I got the spindle working kinda... I get 0-10v out of my 4th axis (MOCMDW) the problem is the voltage is negative. Can I just hook the in reverse?

???  Not sure why you are seeing this.  What happens if you go to the Galil terminal and enter the command "OFD=5" ?

Again, make sure that KP, KI, and KD are set to 0.  Issue "KPD=0;KID=0;KDD=0" in the Galil terminal.  Then try the OFD=5 command again. 

Turn on logging in the Galil plugin config.  There is a check box to enables it.  Then re-start Mach and then directly close it.  It will produce a GalilDebug.txt file in the plugins directory.  At the top of this file, there will be a listing of the current Galil settings.  This might prove useful to see if there are any commands burned into the controller's NVRAM that could cause this.

Also how do I link buttons to commands in mach3? For instance: I have a green and yellow button, I'd like the to run cycle start and feed hold. How would I go about doing that?

You would typically wire them to inputs on your Galil and then map that input in "ports and pins"  Then you may need to write a Mach 3 Brian that looks at that input and operates an OEM button code.  There is a good video tutorial on Brains in the Mach documentation web links.  Once the mapping is done in ports and pins, it is all pretty much standard Mach from there on out for this task.

Steve