Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:56:25 PM

Author Topic: Old Dynapath System 10 upgrading to Galil CS 18420 ICM 2900 No idea on wiring???  (Read 51972 times)

My ICM 2900 does not have all those connection in your first download.  Mine looks just like the second link.

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
The first download is what you see if you take the cover off of the ICM 2900 and look at the pc board inside.

And where the U1 and U2 locations are have chips if it is OPTO Steve/Smurph can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think I am.

I have only seen about 20 ICM-2900 in real life and they have all been OPTO. And a few had the little white tag worn off.
But I am sure there must be a bunch of non OPTO out there!
Well that's good news right?? What type of power supply do I need?

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
That I am not sure. I have very little experience on the I/O section of the Galil

Smurph regarding the LSCOMM connection.
I tried to find a schematic before asking these questions

Since I need 5v input to use my Optical limits could I use a External 5V 1amp ( Amperage just for example) power supply and connect the negative side to the LSCOMM connection and have The + coming from the Limits?

Also does the LSCOMM rail include the home switches? I would assume yes.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Yes, LSCOMM is limits and homes.

You can probably use the 5v outputs on the ICM to power the optical switches.  No external supply needed if they don't draw much current.

You can ground LSCOMM and provide the pos signal from the switches.  However, all inputs and homes must operate in the same manner.  You can't have limits one way and home another. 

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
Well that's good news right?? What type of power supply do I need?

Any power supply that can provide the needed current draw.  24v is max. voltage.  I would suggest a 24v supply if using mechanical switches.  Less noise issues.  Don't skimp on the switches.  Good quality switches will save you from sever headaches in the future.  :)

http://www.galilmc.com/support/appnotes/optima/note1427.pdf  Shows how to wire the opto outputs.

Steve

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
Yes, LSCOMM is limits and homes.

You can probably use the 5v outputs on the ICM to power the optical switches.  No external supply needed if they don't draw much current.

You can ground LSCOMM and provide the pos signal from the switches.  However, all inputs and homes must operate in the same manner.  You can't have limits one way and home another. 

Steve

Thanks, Steve

Ok nowI think I am starting to understand this.

So if I use onboard ICM 2900 5V to power the Optical limits I would run a wire from one of the GND terminals on ICM to LSCOMM Then run ICM 5V+ to the limits NC and when the limit trips it will disable thru Mach?

Or does it disable the enable for that axis on the ICM?

And looking at the Opto wiring diagrams in the links you provided. Are the resistors shown a circuit within the ICM or is that something we need to add.
I wish there was some good Documentation for the functionality of the ICM 2900.

Oh by the way  Wilde Racing I hope you do not think I am high jacking your thread. I figure the best place to ask these question is here, because you need the same answers.

Joe
Is mechanical switches preferred over solid state? The mill has a few amf kup14d15 relays they seam really big for the card to operate. I wonder if I need a relay to run my relay.. Lol

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
Joe,

The resistors are internal to the ICM.

Wilde Racing,

Either type of switch is fine.  Just if you go mechanical, then you want a good one.  Not some cheap crap that bounces.

As to the relay to run a relay, I do that a lot.  I used solid state relays to drive the coils of mechanical relays.  It may be overkill but if you are not sure how much current the coils require, then it is a safe way to handle it.

Steve

Offline bubba

•  80 80
    • View Profile
Thanks Steve