Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:30:34 AM

Author Topic: Computer problem after running mach3  (Read 35659 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Computer problem after running mach3
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »
Nigel, if you go along the row testing from pin 1 on DB it should match all the way along the row on the mobo pin for pin, then from pin 14 on DB it should match all the way along the other row of the IDC.
I would think your cable should be right as it is. The mobo although numbered as IDC is internally connected to match the DB25.

The serial however is not as it follows normal IDC numbering, this doesnt concern you but is why I was surprised the parallel port header was wired differently albeit logically.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2011, 09:05:11 AM »
Nigel, this is how your DB25 should be connected to your Header on the mobo. The top one is the DB25. As you can see you only need to locate pin one on each connector and then they should be wired 1 for 1 along the row and then same for the lower row.
Hood

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
  • Alford, Scotland + Jurong Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
Hi Hood
I am sure your diagram is correct for what I have but let me check and confirm.
If so this would mean IDE+DB25, 1=1, 2=14 and so on.
What I am wondering is, for the cable I found on ebay ref link in previous post, are the pins wired as your diagram or are they wired 1=1, 2=2, 3=3 and so on?
If the ebay item is wired as per your diagram (and if my wiring is the same) then I should leave the config as per the Gecko spec. If this is the case then there is another reason why it's not working.

The LTP1 is enabled. I am sure the IDE is plugged in correctly.
I will recheck the ribbon cable pin to pin wiring and let you guys know.
Cheers
Nigel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2011, 05:37:03 PM »
It would seem that the standard for mobo headers for PPs is as Tweakie said and in the above drawing so I would think the eBay one would conform as well. It is correct that way as the pinout in the manual confirmed that, you can do a google for printer port pinout and you will see it matches if you go along the rows of the IDC header rather than by the numbering on the mobo.

Easiest thing to do is open a new profile, put the address for the onboard port  in and set up an output for coolant to pin 1 and set the relay up for the coolant to that output number on the spindle setup page. You can then toggle the coolant button and have your voltmeter on pin 1 and pin 25 of IDC and see if voltage changes, if it does then you know the port is working fine.
Hood

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2011, 09:04:56 AM »
Hi Hood &Tweakie
Just a note to say sorry for not getting back to you, the reason is that work has taken me away from Singapore and therefore away from my cnc. It will probably be end Sept before I can resume my cnc endeavour.
However, before leaving I did manage to complete some 3d test machining in Aluminium and used Mechcam to generate the g code, opens up lots of possibilities for the future. It would be nice though to be able sort out the Gecko charge pump problem and also get LTP 1 port working.

Hopefully then in a few weeks I can report some progress.

Thanks for your support, you have both been a big help.

Cheers for now.

Nigel

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2011, 10:53:35 AM »
Hi Nigel,

I look forward to seeing some pictures of the things you make with your CNC - we all love to see pictures  :)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2011, 07:23:43 PM »
Hopefully you will also get the port working, guy a few days ago managed on his mobo so yours should be fine as well :)
Hood

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2011, 05:20:51 AM »
Hi Guys
I will certainly post some pics, I may set up a blog or something, 'my cnc adventure', just a thought.
I am looking to convert a larger mill in my UK workshop but as I spend most of my time in Singapore at the moment the Sherline will enable me to gain some experience.
I already have Gecko servo motor drivers and servo motors with encoders but due to overseas work commitments it will be some time before I get around fitting this to the mill.
 Cheers
Nigel

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2011, 06:03:33 AM »
I noticed in another post reference to problems using a pci port card with the G540 driver especially because the G540 uses EPP. The issues I had with my PCI cards (3 in total before one worked) was that they were ECP/EPP but I could not configure to one or the other + the card was putting out just over 3v. Another poster in the thread made reference to using Lava PCI cards so I had a look, they do an EPP card at 5v. As this appears to meet the spec exactly so I think I will get one of these and give it a try, hopefully it may resolve the out standing issues.

If I can get LTP1 up and running as well then I have plenty scope for experimenting with additional functions.

Cheers
Nigel

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2011, 07:22:27 AM »
Just some more info.
I found this Model PMDX-2PARPCI card.

The supplier says "The Geckodrive G540 charge pump signal will work with this card without having to set EPP mode. The G540 normally requires the port to be in EPP mode and most PCI bus cards (unlike motherboard parallel ports) cannot be forced into EPP mode. PMDX has custom modified the first port of this card to be compatible with the G540. It is also compatible with all PMDX products and with most conventional breakout boards".

It enhances my suspicions about my current ECP/EPP compatible card. However, $60 delivery charge outside USA is a bit steep.

Nigel