Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:44:10 AM

Author Topic: Computer problem after running mach3  (Read 35664 times)

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
  • Alford, Scotland + Jurong Singapore
    • View Profile
Re: Computer problem after running mach3
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
Thanks Tweakie
I will checkout the wiring.
Any motor connected to the y axis contoller does not run smoothly and makes a squealing noise when running, this combined with 2 dead computers in a row makes me suspect the y axis driver or maybe the wiring to/from the driver?
At the moment I know nothing much about the electrical side of what I am trying to do, and northing out electrics generally.
I was wondering if I could change to breakout board in the unit for a better one that protects the computer?

Cheers
Nigel

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:48:34 AM »
Hi Nigel,

Changing the BoB for a known good one would not do any harm.
The CNC4PC type C10 or C11 would be a good choice as many members now use these BoB's. You can check out the spec here http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?products_id=45 There are,of course, lots of others just as good and the choice will be yours.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:06 AM »
Hi Guys
Thanks for your help.
I work allot in Singapore and have a small sherline mill & lathe there but in the UK (home) I have a full size shop.
I want to use my time while in Singapore to learn cnc.

I am thinking I will put this cnc controller to one side for now and sort it later.
I am considering getting a Gecko G540 4 axis drive which is all encompassing, that's my only concern everything is in one unit so any problem the whole thing will need replacing. The reason I am considering this one is that it's available ex stock in Singapore and is rated for my motors at 3.5 A.
I guess I can use my existing power supply as presumably this is rated to suite my motors, the power supply is 24volt, 10A. The motors are 4 wire, don't know if that's bad as from what I have seem 8 wire is usually recommended with the coils connected in parallel?

Hopefully this will get me going fairly quick, just need to find another used computer as well.

On the original controller the BoB is very basic, just terminals, a couple of capacitors and resistors, allot different to the cnc4pc you showed me. I will replace the BoB for a cnc4pc as you suggested and replace the assumed defective driver and try it out later.

The cheap Chinese route I have taken has wasted time and money so far, maybe I have just been unlucky.

Cheers
Nigel

Offline ERP

•  35 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 02:09:32 AM »
The most basic breakout board is just a set of connections for pins on the parallel port, but that provides no protection for the PC and doesn't deal with the fact that PC parallel ports don;t always put out 5V or that you can draw very limited current from them.
Usually even if something is mis wired and you don't have any isolation on the board about the worst thing that happens is you kill the parallel port. I'm a bit surprised that you could kill 2 computers with it, unless there is a pretty drastic wiring issue, like something dramatically more than 5V being fed back into the parallel port.

I run a G540 on my Sherline, it's a great product, but you should be able to salvage some of the chinese stuff you have, the BOB does sound like junk. The steppers will be fine on a sherline, I run bigger 270 oz ones but they are massive overkill especially with the standard 20tpi lead screws.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 03:11:33 AM »
I am considering getting a Gecko G540 4 axis drive which is all encompassing, that's my only concern everything is in one unit so any problem the whole thing will need replacing.
The G540 is actually made up of 4 drives and a motherboard, so any damage to one drive and that is all you will need to replace.
Hood

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
Hi Guys
Thanks for your help much appreciated but now I may have another problem.
I bought the Gecko G540 driver and another second hand computer.
Regarding the computer, it did not have a parallel printer port so the dealer fitted one for me.

The initial installation instructions for the G540 say that the printer port must be set to EPP. I can't see anything in the BIOS that refers to the parallel printer port, I guess that's because it's not integral, don't know?
In device manager/ ports I can see PCI-ECP installed using LTP3. So this suggests it's ECP and I can't see any way to configure it to EPP.

So my question is, is this PCI board any good or is there a way to reconfigure it?

I did not think getting cnc working was going to be so difficult and time consumming, I just hope this is the last hurdle to over come.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about computers etc.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Cheers
Nigel

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Hi Nigel,

ECP will do just fine.

Go to the printer port properties in device manager to see the port address (typically 0378) that you need to enter in Mach Config / Ports and Pins / Port#1.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »
Hi Tweakie
Your such a great help
In device manager I can see LPT1 at 0378 (as you mention)
Also LPT3 (PCI ECP parallel port card) which has 2 addresses E800 and E480

So I am a bit confused. I assumed I would need to set mach3 to use LPT3 at one of the addresses because this is the PCI parallel port card.
I thought this because there is no parallel printer port on the mother board hence the PCI card.

Not sure how LPT1 now fits into the picture.

Should I still just set Mach3 to LPT1?

Sorry if this is all a bit basic, it's a bit over my head at the moment.

Cheers
Nigel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »
In Port 1 box in Mach enter E800 and you should be fine, if not it will be E480

Hood

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »
Hi Nigel,

Exactly as Hood said.  ;)

(It will show as 0xE800 and this just indicates that it is in hexadecimal notation).

Tweakie.
PEACE