Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:27:14 PM

Author Topic: Computer problem after running mach3  (Read 35654 times)

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
  • Alford, Scotland + Jurong Singapore
    • View Profile
Re: Computer problem after running mach3
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2011, 09:50:48 AM »
Thanks Guys
I will see if I can get a cable and give it a try.

Nigel

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2011, 09:50:33 AM »
Hi Guys
Just a quick update.
Local computer shop made up an IDE/DB25 cable for me.
The socket on the mother board does not give any definite guidance for the orientation of the connection so I took a guess. On checking with the volt meter the needle went backwards. I reversed the connections and now get 5v on most of the pins however, to my reckoning the pins no.s are reversed, so Pin 1 is actint as pin13 and so on. I tried it on my gecko driver anyway, set the address in ports and pins to 378 but it did not move the motors.

So I assume that one of the connectors on the ribbon cable is the wrong way round? Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

So for now I will just continue to use my PCI parallel port with out the charge pump.

Did a bit practice machining to day, material "thin air", all seemed to go well, will try on aluminium tomorrow.

Cheers
Nigel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »
Us ually there is a mark or a 1 at the number 1 pin, if its an IDC style socket then the pinouts usually go odd numbers along one row and even on the other. Can you take a close up pic of it and post.
Hood

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2011, 02:12:55 AM »
Hi Hood
I have some pics but can't understand how to post them.
I tried putting the file path in i.e. but the preview did not show anything.

Anyway, I can see things much clearer from the photo, the port is marked 'JPRT1' and the botton row are odd no's 1 to 25 and top row even 2 to 26, the last pin no 26 of the male plug on the board is removed making 25 pins in total.

I have been cutting metal today, some engraving and circular pocketing, all went well.

Originally I set my table to move in the direction of the arrows on the jog buttons (table moving in relation to fixed cutter) ie X axis moving right to left -ve direction but this did not correlate with the tool display in mach3 and machining moves were backwards. (similar with the Y axis moving from back to front foe -ve)

I reconfigured so that when using the jog buttons I  imagine the cutter moves relative to the table (imagine table stationary)making x axis moves left to right -ve direction. (Y axis now moving front to back for -ve direction)
Now everything seems right but I do find it a bit confusing when jogging having to imagine the table is stationary and the cutter moves relative to the table.

Cheers
Nigel

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2011, 04:37:34 AM »
Another try at am image

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2011, 04:41:53 AM »
Click on "Additional Options"  then "Choose File".  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2011, 05:22:14 AM »
Thanks Tweakie.
I checked on the size of my files and they exceed to 6000kb.

Hi Hood
The pics can be seen at this link:http://modelengineerwizard.wordpress.com/

Thanks again guys

Nigel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »
Yes, pinout just as I thought it would be,  have you got it connected up that way?
Hood

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2011, 06:34:56 AM »
Hi Hood
Yes I believe so
When you look at the DB25 the blue wire has been cut away, I have connected the other end so that the blue wire is at the side where the missing pin is. Connected this way I get 5v on many of the pins. It does not not move the motors though. I am just wondering if the db25 has been connected in the wrong orientation. It was a computer parts shop that assembled it so I would expect them to get it right.

Cheers
Nigel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2011, 06:45:19 AM »
If you have an ohm meter just ring through pin to pin, the DB25 will be numbered 1 to 13 along the row and 14...... 25 the next, the IDC will be 1, 3 5 to 25 on one row and 2, 4 6.... 24 on the other.
You should be able to see the pin numbers on the DB25 if you look close enough so you know which end pin 1 is at but it will be left end as you look into the connector with the 13 pin row at the top or right if you are looking at the soldered connections on the back

Hood