Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:13:15 AM

Author Topic: Computer problem after running mach3  (Read 35661 times)

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
  • Alford, Scotland + Jurong Singapore
    • View Profile
Computer problem after running mach3
« on: June 26, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Hi
I am trying to convert my mill to cnc but have a problem with computers.
Computer 1 - loaded mach 3, got the steppers working in toggle mode OK, then started to have problems starting my computer after shut down, took 3 or 4 goes each time than nothing.
Computer 2 - again got my steppers working, connected up the limit switches, when trying to jog but got a long message ,words to the effect, " motors can not operate because possibly a limit witch is activated", which was strange as I had not enables the switches, then mach 3 locked up, I shut down my computer, since then it will not reboot.

I bought the computer second hand, the dealer replaced the first computer with the second computer, both had been thoroughly tested by the dealer.
This is all in a few days, both used xp home edition.

Can this be a coincidence?
What can be the problem?
I am not sure it's fair to take this second computer back to the dealer , I am reluctant to spend money on yet another computer.

Anyone had similar problems?
Any suggestions or help appreciated
Thanks
Nigel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Computer problem after running mach3
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »
What happens when you try to start it?
Hood

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your reply
When starting the keyboard and mouse flash momentarily, then no video output, no power to the mouse and presumably the key board, just will not boot up. Lightb is on, fans running.

When problems started with the first computer it was the same but would reboot after a few goes but after a few starts ups like this completely dead.

Thanks
Nigel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »
Sounds like motherboard is dead, you could try switching off the power and reseating the CPU, video card and memory etc and all plugs. Also unplug CD drives etc and leave them disconnected and any external cables such as your printer port cable, any USB etc.

Look at the capacitors on the motherboard and see what they are like, if the tops are bulging or they are leaking then thats your problem.
Hood

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:29:06 PM »
Hi Hood
I did have a visual look at the mother board etc and could not see anything unusual, I give you suggestion a try and see. I don't know anything about computers but I guess I can't make things much worst.

Seems strange for similar problem with 2 computers after running mach3 only a few times, 4 or 5 times infact.

Do you recon it has nothing to do with mach 3?
Could it be anything to do with the stepper drivers connected to the printerr port?

With 1000's mach users I guess this must be highly unusual.

Thanks again
Nigel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »
There is a slight chance that your wiring or components that are connected to the parallel port would kill the computer.
Cant see how Mach itself could do anything, it is just software so worst it could do is corrupt the data on your hard drives but your computer would still at least go past the POST if that was the case.

Hood

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
Hi Hood
Ye, I did not think mach3 could do such damage.
My y axis drive seems to have a fault, the stepper runs very rough and screams a bit so I am using the 4th axis driver for my y axis however, the y axis driver is still powered up and wired to the printer port.
Hmm, maybe I should have disconnected it.

Cheers again
Nigel

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:19 AM »
Hi Nigel,

Could you post details of what your PC is connected to - stepper controller / breakout board etc. ?
Is it a proprietary controller unit ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline newatcnc

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:28:34 AM »
Hi
The controller was an ebay purchase complete with motors etc.
Here is a link to the item.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-axis-CNC-conversion-system-Sherline-mill-lathe-motor-/260507682605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ca777c72d

Cheers
Nigel

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
Hi Nigel,

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of that make of controller.
Stepper motors make a screaming sound when they stall. If this happens then reduce your velocity setting for the appropriate axis within Mach motor tuning - save your changes.
Unless there is a fault with the controller electronics it unlikely to cause damage to your computer but It would be prudent to examine the internal connections thoroughly, perhaps with an eye glass, (especially those relating the the computer LPT printer port) to make sure there are no solder bridges or short circuits anywhere.

Tweakie.
PEACE