Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:02:13 AM

Author Topic: AL54b (lathe) project from New Zealand  (Read 162993 times)

Re: AL54b (lathe) project from New Zealand
« Reply #240 on: April 04, 2015, 03:56:58 AM »
The file names will be the same just not the location, I was just going to match up file name for file name with the new location.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2015, 04:33:27 AM »
The file names will be the same just not the location, I was just going to match up file name for file name with the new location.

If you are going to keep exactly the same file names then that makes it a lot easier.

The first image in this thread is currently defined as being   http://www.skynetnz.com/blog/lathe/al54b.jpeg

How do you want the address for this image to read??

(presumably I can then modify all the following images in the same manner)

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »
Nah I don't think this is going to work, some of the files have modified names others don't.

Is there someway I can get temporary access to try and match them up, it will take a long time but for the sake of the blog I think it is worth the effort.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2015, 01:43:26 AM »
Looks like you are back to my original suggestion  :'(

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2015, 06:14:01 AM »
Might just chuck it back in the to hard basket for now then.

« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2015, 06:25:58 PM »
Need help please.

I have been mucking around trying to get this thing to thread, I have a C3 for my pulse and the bob is a C32 as stated, the C3 shows the pulses via LED (looks good) the C32 shows the same pulses on the input pin (looks good also), the True spindle reading looks good.
I am using "use spindle feedback in sync mode".
Within the plugin (smoothstepper) monitoring the input is only coming up active every now and then, it certainly is not pulsing the way the input indicator on the C32 is.
when the tool hits the stock there is an immediate decrees in True RPM as you would expect.

Threads are all over the show, ideas?

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2015, 06:50:34 PM »
First of all, threading IS possible. I do lots of it.

Yes, you need "use spindle feedback in sync mode". I also use 'spindle averaging', although I am not sure whether that is needed or not.

At one stage, after rebuilding the entire electronics, i found I could not thread any more. That was a puzzle. Eventually I found that the software filter inside Mach was set far too long, so the sync pulses were being filtered out. I killed the filter down to zero and all was well.

To explain: with a typical encoder on the spindle motor the Index pulse is very narrow, and easy to lose. If you make your own Index pulse using an optical interruptor and a small disk with a slot, you can make the slot much wider.

At another stage I found that the Index pulse line was being loaded too much and the pulse was dropping in amplitude. That meant the ESS did not register it all the time. Fixing that might require a bit of electronics and a CRO.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
Where is said software filter found?

thx

« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »
After mucking around with it some more, I can here the z axis steppers adjusting its feed rate based on I assume spindle speed.
I cut a 2mm pitch thread repeatedly and it follows the thread perfectly even with cycle (and spindle) stopping and starting - so this tells me that it as at least partially working (or it wouldn't start at the same place each stop start).

I put a thread gauge on it and it is almost a perfect .9mm pitch thread.
There was no G20 generated by the wizard but just in case I have manually put a G21 in the code, run it again follows the previously cut path perfectly.
I have enabled pulse averaging and I believe it has helped.

I originally worked out my spindle speeds etc with an el-chepo laser tacho, when I put the C3 on the Spindle true readings were way off so I assumed the el-chepo was wrong and corrected my pulley ratios to refect the S true.

I'm starting to wonder if that is why my thread pitch is off?

thx

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »
In Config /Ports&Pins you will need to use the settings in Spindle / motor control and special functions. I think you have dealt with these already.

In General Config at top right hand corner you have Input Signal debouncing. For Index Debounce you may need a value of 0. I do.

Under Pulleys you need to set the RIGHT ratio, and you need to calibrate the Z axis (lathe) correctly as well.

OK, you seem to be threading OK; you just need to get the pitch right.

Um - just checking: you have only ONE index pulse per rev, yes?

Cheers
Roger