Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:15:54 AM

Author Topic: AL54b (lathe) project from New Zealand  (Read 162987 times)

Re: AL54b (lathe) project from New Zealand
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2010, 04:38:25 PM »
I have touch screens on my mill and lathe, so i keep a bath towel near the machines to wipe my hands. A quick grab of the towel is all is needed and you're good to go, touch screens are the way.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
You may like the feel of the wheels but afraid I dont, great as I said for positioning and sneaking up to touch off but for machining I dont like them. One thing though is mine have detents and I had thought of removing them and fitting some sort of friction device, I think that would make a big difference to the feel so might be worth you considering.

Regards the touch screens, I have to clean mine every so often  because of coolant smudges etc but doesnt seem to do them any harm.

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2010, 01:22:47 AM »
Good project and very interesting thread to follow.

I must say that you're making progress faster than I am able to read ;) Keep it up!

Dan
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2010, 02:58:44 AM »
Good project and very interesting thread to follow.

I must say that you're making progress faster than I am able to read ;) Keep it up!

Dan

Thanks Dan.

Didn't get a heap done today, I made a set of hinges for the doors (a couple of hours) nothing significant enough to photograph.

more tomorrow.
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »
Ive been sick for a couple of days, i managed to climb out of bed for a few hours to get some more work sent to the laser cutters, so im hoping that it will be ready by the time I'm feeling better.

More soon.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2010, 04:54:43 PM »
Hopefully you will get back on your feet and the ballscrews and SS etc will turn up :)
Hood
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
Its Sunday here and Ive been out of auction for almost a week >:(, i am feeling a little better and have taken the opportunity to
1. Draw up some of the laser cutting parts and send them off so that they will be ready for folding this week.
2. Milled the other half of the hinges for the rack doors. (will post a pic later)
3. Ordered and received a Smooth stepper from Peter Homann (took 3 days from send me...to delivery - you the man Peter!)
4. Chased up cnc4pc with the controller stuff, he must have some major inventory issues (hasn't even shipped yet, it happens).
5. Made up the Z motor mount (will post pics later)

Experts wanted:
1. I have 2x 269oz 2x 387oz 2x 425oz step motors from PH http://homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25 my plan was to use a 269 for my X axiz and the 387 for the Z axis is this the best option?
2. I brought some Gecko G251 for the drivers assuming they would work fine - will they?
3. Is it possible to have a third axis that when enabled (with a switch) homes itself, then goes to the current z axis position, then mirrors  the z axis?

Other points I've been thinking about:
1. My pendant controller is going to have two MPGs one each for Z & X i assume i can do this with mach.
2. The door should really be on gas struts which are expensive, what are your thoughts on having a air ram open the door? I have plenty of air rams and fittings so it wouldn't cost hardly anything.
3. I would like to use the old mounts from the old z axis leadscrew if I do so ill have hardly any clearance (the center of the leadscrew is only 25mm away from the bed) if i do use this mounting position ill have to use belts as the motor center is 30mm to center. The X is belt driven anyway so its not a huge deal, if I do use a belt then i can gear the axis should I change motors and take advantage of the gearing?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2010, 06:46:47 PM »
1. I have 2x 269oz 2x 387oz 2x 425oz step motors from PH http://homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25 my plan was to use a 269 for my X axiz and the 387 for the Z axis is this the best option?

I would think so, but maybe the heaviest axis would be best with the biggest motor.

2. I brought some Gecko G251 for the drivers assuming they would work fine - will they?
As long as the currrent of your motors are compatible they should work fine.

3. Is it possible to have a third axis that when enabled (with a switch) homes itself, then goes to the current z axis position, then mirrors  the z axis?
Not sure about this, would need more explanation of what its actually for and when its going to be used.

1. My pendant controller is going to have two MPGs one each for Z & X i assume i can do this with mach.

No probs there as long as you have the Inputs Mach can handle 3 MPGs

2. The door should really be on gas struts which are expensive, what are your thoughts on having a air ram open the door? I have plenty of air rams and fittings so it wouldn't cost hardly anything.
No car scrappies in NZ? You should get a cheap gas strut there.
Air would work fine but adds complexity I suppose, just make sure you dont have too much air flow or you might get a Glasgow Kiss from the door ;D

3. I would like to use the old mounts from the old z axis leadscrew if I do so ill have hardly any clearance (the center of the leadscrew is only 25mm away from the bed) if i do use this mounting position ill have to use belts as the motor center is 30mm to center. The X is belt driven anyway so its not a huge deal, if I do use a belt then i can gear the axis should I change motors and take advantage of the gearing?
I prefer belt drives rather than direct, much easier to set up as direct needs precise alignment. Both my mills and my lathe have belt drives even though one of the mills and the lathe are driven 1:1 and thats the way they were built by the commercial machine tool builders.

Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2010, 07:00:28 PM »

I have the gas struts on my door of my little Taig, and love them. They were $12.00 each. After seeing how much you've put into this already, is $12 struts expensive?

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2010, 07:13:23 PM »

I have the gas struts on my door of my little Taig, and love them. They were $12.00 each. After seeing how much you've put into this already, is $12 struts expensive?

Dave

What a great looking machine! well done.
the only ones I have seen are like $180 each! you are quite right though  why to 99%