Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:07:13 AM

Author Topic: AL54b (lathe) project from New Zealand  (Read 162999 times)

Re: AL54b (lathe) project from New Zealand
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
Are you putting on sliding doors?
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »
Wow,

I'm humbled to read that I've been an inspiration to others with my 'over-the-top' mill conversion! 
I'm just a guy who can't leave things alone once I get started tinkering with them.
Anyway, very nice looking work on the lathe & I really like your take on the chip pan for the mill ..
I've discovered that once wet, chips do tend to stick so I've plumbed a wash down hose to clean up after I finish a job.
Your chip pan would be absolutely PERFECT for that kind of application .. keep up the good work!

gd.marsh
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2012, 02:22:25 AM »
Hi GD.
Please post a link to your project on the zone - it sounds like it would be a good read- I have done a search but the place is so big and hard to find articles on.
Thanks
Steve
« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
I got a bit more done on my mill

« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2012, 02:35:35 AM »
I just finished mine.

« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2012, 03:58:29 AM »
Man Stainless is flash bro, my sheet metal skills are not good enough for SS, i need paint to hide all my cock ups.
Is the hole in the middle for servicing or chips?
Im about 1/2 way done with my chip auger, i don't know if it will work but im going to try it all the same

Looking good dude.

« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2012, 04:03:03 AM »
Oh btw in case your wondering, the 4th was being key'd when the Y axis broke, hence the big vice, 4th and missing Y axis, shes all back together now. There is also a cameo appearance by the lathe in the bottom right corner of the image.

thanks for looking
« Reply #228 on: April 24, 2012, 04:10:42 AM »
hole is for chips/coolant. removeable tray will be underneath.

It's 5053 aluminum. SS welds like crap... I like aluminum way better. corrosion resistant, plus reflects light for easy viewing.

I should have it installed in a few days. I'll post some finished pics. I still have to design some type of window for the front, maybe sides.
« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2012, 04:37:54 AM »
Cool, hold off on the chip bin until ive tested my auger, its been cheap to make and i think it will work really well, ill post a pic in a day or so to give you an idea of what im up to.
Ive got a bunch of SS to mill so i need my coolant system up and running, once ive done that ill be looking to redo my ball screws and mounting, then ill be looking to finish the power draw bar i have started and then a tormach ATC, if i get sick of it at any stage ill switch back to the lathe.