Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:20:34 AM

Author Topic: Mach Workshop at Cabin Fever Expo  (Read 49338 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach Workshop at Cabin Fever Expo
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2009, 09:22:25 PM »
Now there are two lousy pictures.
BTW rumor has it that Ron sold a boat and bought a fire engine.
All I know is that the fire engine was no longer there.  ;D
RICH
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »
eighty  (80) great pics here.

http://jzcomputer.com/picshow/

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2009, 10:19:46 PM »
Oh no, I did sell the steam boat but I did NOT buy the fire engine. This was about reducing the toy collection, not adding to it. I didn't even buy any new tools this year.

The Dusenberg model in the photo above is a fully functional model- that means a working engine, transmission, etc. It has to be seen to believe.

It was a great weekend, I hope everyone there enjoyed it as much as  I did.  We had a good group of guys in the seminar, the visitors seemed to enjoy watching the demo machines run.

Thanks to Dave Cole, Scott Schaffer and Tom Hubin for adding their experience in the seminars, and to everyone that attended.
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »
Rich,

Great pic. I've seen this car about 4 years ago at a show in Detroit, when he only had a chassis and running gear.
What a beautiful piece. A friend of mine has a real one and is reproducing the heads.

Thanks
Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2009, 05:09:40 AM »
Ed,
Been going to that show since the first one. There is always someone who has done something outstanding.
Although we look and admire, sometimes we forget about  what it takes to do that kind of stuff. All of the
exhibitors are realy great people and if you ask they are more than happy to share. Never went to the one
in Detroit but heard it was the grandaddy of them all. I didn't have time to talk to the guy. I have seen a
working scale model of a Harley Davidson motorcycle. One guy made a grinding machine  for cams and out of some
110 he only got 2 or three, then the valves with .013" stems had to still take the 160 psi compression.
It took him 4 or 5 years to do that airplane engine. Neat stuff, all you need is time and a love of doing what
what you find enjoyable.
Unfortunately, manny of those folks are getting up in age and the new generation
are more attracted to other things. That's why when i am reincarnated i too will be more attracted to those
other things ( not that i missed much ) just want to do it better the first time around.  >:D
RICH
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »
Rich,

When I went to the show in Detroit 4 years ago, I bought plans for 4 different models, One being a 9 cyl radial airplane engine,
Haven't started on any of them yet.  I was just envious of the time and patients these people spent on these projects. Being in this trade for 50 years you realize what it takes.  Its a lot easier working on full size projects, and still have to wear magnifiers to see what your doing.
  Would have loved to attended Cabin Fever show this year, just for the sake of meeting you and all the other great people on this Forum.
I will keep it on the agenda for the next one. Being retired , and the days still aren't long enough. But then , the extra cash from some paying jobs always comes in handy.  :D

Later ,
Ed

Ed VanEss
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:40 PM »
The seminar was great. I got a chance to meet a lot of great people, put faces to names and learn a lot.
I want to thank all involved and I hope I do not leave anyone out; Ron, Brian, Scott, Dave, Craig from Smooth Stepper, Tom
Regards, Len :)

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
Another thing I learned at the seminar was the Calibrate Spindle function.  I told Brian that now I have an index pulse on my mill spindle, I can see that it runs a little off of that I command.  He said in the Function Cfg's menu there was a calibrate spindle wizard that would correct for non linearity on my spindle controller.  I just got home and ran it.  Now instead of being off by about 100 RPM, the wizard made it off by 200 rpm and cut my max speed in half!  I can't even find where to change it back.  I will send a copy of this to Brian to see what he can tell me.  For now I would suggest not to run the wizard.

BTW, it's 73 degrees in San Jose today.  I don't think it got above 60 in the conference room. (Give me 100 degrees over 32 any day).

Vince
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:21:51 PM by N4NV »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2009, 06:00:01 PM »
Vince, Len and any others who attended, I would love to see a picture of you in a post or e-mail from you. I didn't get to talk to many but I think I saw most everybody.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,667 2,667
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
Here are some more pictures of the show
Without engineers the world stops