Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:03:42 PM

Author Topic: Parallel Port problem....Let's see if you can fix it.  (Read 4494 times)

Parallel Port problem....Let's see if you can fix it.
« on: September 21, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »
Hi, I'm new here and have a slightly different problem than most with the Parallel port. I am new to CNC but have spent hours reading up on it. I am in the process of building my first machine using Rockcliff drivers and motors and a Fine Line Automation Machine. The computer I am using had Windows Service Pack 1 and was working fine with my Rockcliff board. I installed service pack 2 and then 3 to update the computer, Now I can't get the parallel port to work. Dont mess with something that isn't broken right? Well too late now.    Any suggestions would be appreciated.   Thanks!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel Port problem....Let's see if you can fix it.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 03:12:25 PM »
Have a look in Control Panel  and see if you can roll back the service packs.
Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »
Take a look in Device Manger to see if the parallel port shows up there. It could be that the updates messed something up. I've done a boat load of XP updates and not had that particular problem though. It would be best to start with a fresh new install of Windows if you can find it get a copy of XP with SP3 slip-streamed in.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »
Thanks for the responses. The computer shows everything is working fine. Unfortunately, I cannot roll back or uninstall service pack 2 since the disc he used has SP2. I guess I will have to find and install a SP1 disc.  Any other ideas before I do this?    Thanks

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »
I don't think it is a SP2 problem. I have installed Mach on many XP machines with XP2. Double check that the port address shown in Device Manger is the same as you have set up in Mach.

Typically I would recommend installing XP and all updates before installing Mach.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »
Jeff, I will reinstall Mach after I do some updates and see if it works. Thanks for the replies. Mike
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »
All you guys needed to say was reinstall Mach after you update. Thanks Jeff that fixed the problem. Now lets see if this can work on the computer that I originally bought it for running Vista. Thanks Again!!!!!!!