Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:06:41 AM

Author Topic: Learning Curve ahead! Problem Solved!!!!!  (Read 19184 times)

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
Learning Curve ahead! Problem Solved!!!!!
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:59:55 AM »
Methodology

Here is a file I would like to cut, could probably hand code everything but would rather not if the computer can do it for me. I am thinking I need to run LC about 3-4 times with different entities on a separate dxf file and then merge them together into a single tap file with stops for tool changes.

I was thinking first off running a #11 drill for the five holes and perhaps even the two points at the ends of the .75r arc (all the holes have a point so I can loose the circles) then switching to a 3/16” mill and doing the 1.25 diameter hole and the arc and finish up by trimming the corner radius perhaps with a larger mill cutter.

I forgot to mention there is a .5 x .125 deep counterbore around the four holes in the array, they would need to be delt with on the second pass with the 3/16 cutter.

I am not looking for someone to run off a file but to learn how to do this myself for future projects, if anyone does post some code please add some notes as to what is going on.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Kristin
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:51:48 PM by Kristin D »

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Curve ahead!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:34:41 AM »
Hi,Kristin

looks like you are off to a good start.you did not mention the size and type of stock, that would help to determin clamping and stuff.your post mention that you are interested in tool changes
and multi files.you can cut that part out with a 3/16 center cutting end mill using L-cam and no tool changes.this is a good little project to learn with.you will be able to learn L-cam and all the
do/dont that you can get away with.i would cut it out in this order . do the counter bore then poke the hole,cut the center out as a slug,do the slot,poke your last hole,then finish the outside to
knock the part out.with L-cam you can turn that drawing into a many differant layer program.have fun with this one you will learn alot quickly.

bill

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »
Hi Bill,

The material will be 6061-T6 and .25 thick. So if I am following along by placing the entities on different layers I can make this happen, any idea which layer is processed first?

Kristin

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »
Kristin, you can actually move the layers around in the order that you'd like. The videos give a pretty good example of how that's done. I also agree with Bill, that is an excellent part to use a 3/16th centercutter endmill and that would be it. Since the last step would be to cut the outside profile out, I usually leave a little "web" at the bottom so that when the cut is complete, it doesn't "break" loose on you and flop around. Then it's nothing to just clean the edge up after pulling it off the table.

I still want to learn how to use the TABS function but haven't yet tried that.  :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »
Hey Kristin

here is a possible.you want to do 4 counterbores with holes.you can do a layer that has 1counterbore with a hole in it.wich would make 4 layers.or you can do all 4 counterbores as one
layer.that is why i said you have a excellant starting project for l-cam.you can play to your hearts desires.make sure to delete all of your demension chains so you have clean chains to start with
and when you do your offsets remember to delete the chain you offseted from.in your tool settings when you add tools you can list a 3/16 EM with differant speeds and depths.so you might
have a 3/16 listed 5 times.

bill

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:15:12 PM »
Oh i forget to mention in l-cam your layers list from top to bottom.when you generate code it will run from top to bottom.you can use your mouse to move the layers up and down
in the left side menu.

bill

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »
OK, here we go, I cut this file already but didn't step it off the table, now I have put a  1/4" spacer under it by loosining one clamp at a time (part is acrylic 1/4 thick) now I want to cut the arrow outline out, how do I do it with LC now, obviously remove the text and graphics, then what, offset the outer arrow by .5 the cutter dia? Run a new file with several cuts in steps to do this?

If someone could walk me through this it would be great, again not asking for it to be done for me but just step by step how it's done.

Kristin

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »
Kristin

hey you are doing pretty good.now take your l-cam and you can either delete the inner chains or move them to a new layer.to move to new layer ,put mouse on chain in menu and
right click.accept send to new layer.after moving chains to new layer you can then disable the layer with the layer menu.you want to get the arrow chain on it's layer.highlight the chain arrow
then click offset.with the offset menu open select tool.you will now have to edit your tool menu by adding your .5 cutter.save then select the tool. l-cam will use 1/2 the dia of the tool for the offset.

bill

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »
Bill,

Actually I want to use a smaller cutter, how do I set the pass cuts and set the offset?  I am thinking a 1/4" cutter and would like to take the outside cut perhaps at .01-.015 or so per cut, the acrylic is nasty stuff if you overheat it or the cutter.

I did delete everything but the outer arrow, so I know I need to climb mill around that( and yes loose the sharp inside corrners to the mill)

I guess the part I can't figure is the depth of cut per pass, where do I enter that?

Kristin

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:46:31 PM »
Kristin

when you edit your tool menu for say a .250 dia cutter.there is a place for tool depth.so your plastic is .250 thick.if you set tool depth at .050 in the tool menu and l-cam goes to use that tool
it will generate 5 passes at .050 a pass.if you set tool depth to .125 l-cam will generate 2 passes .when you do the code.if you look at the layers menu at the right hand side you will see .

rapid height =tool above work set at .100
cut start = tool touching work  set at 0
cut depth = tool in work  set at -.250

if your material is .250 thick and you want to cut all the way through it set cut depth at -.270

bill