Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:59:28 AM

Author Topic: Pocket w/Island....Not working for me  (Read 4772 times)

Pocket w/Island....Not working for me
« on: September 13, 2008, 01:52:36 AM »
 :)
Hey guys,
Here is a pretty simple DXF from Autosketch9.
When opened with LCam, attempting to pocket the outer profile I get 1 offset path to the inside.
If I then select THAT path and then pocket again, it sometimes pockets the entire area ignoring the arrow. They are both on the same layer.
LCam V3.00.2
Can't see what I'm doing wrong.
? ? ? ? ?,
RC
1st pic.   Nice and clean.
2nd pic   just offsets...not completley pocketed.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 02:09:36 AM by Overloaded »

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket w/Island....Not working for me
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 03:17:23 AM »
RC

i looked at your drawing and it had extra rapid moves. any time you notice extra rapids, you will have broken chains. and when you use the clean function it should help simplify the chains and rapids.
there are a lot of differant things you can check for. most of the time when i save a drawing , i use the export function ,not the save. export as standard autocad dxf ver 12. lcam likes that the best.
in your lcam   -setup/load option-  set your line tolerance at .001 or .0001  . another thing i do is put a border chain around my drawing, that way lcam has a stable chain to work against. then you just delete it when
you finish. i sent you two files back ,you will see what i mean about the border. when you load the dxf you will see some extra rapids, then use the clean function and you will see it change.then it should look like
the lcam file i sent you. there are plenty of tricks you will learn when you mess with this stuff.

bill

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 03:34:45 AM »
RC

forget the first two files i sent you , i did something to them you won't like.

bill
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:22:31 AM »
Thanks Bill,
What version of LCam did you use to create Arrow2 that you posted ?

I exported in R12, cleaned GOOD (see my earlier pic) but the pocket is still just 2 offsets.

Puzzled,
RC

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »
RC

sorry about that RC. i went off in the wrong direction with your drawing. try playing with it this way. after you import and clean. scale your drawing double to 5.5 then double your cutter
to .375 then scale the drawing back to 2.75 before you post code.

bill

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 01:11:13 PM »
well ,i forgot to give you this
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:20:20 PM »
Bill,
Scaling up then back made th pocket tool path look right in LCam. But look wat it posted to Mach.
Any ideas ?
Thanks,
RC

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 08:21:01 PM »
Hi, RC

yep the dreaded crop circle. the more you use lcam the more you will run into this. i did a program last weekend that had over a hundred of those little bugers.not to worry when this happens.
i think they have a high tech reason why this happens, but i don't care. maybe it will get fixed in the future.when i run into a small program that does this, just edit those lines out of the code.
when i get one that creates a bunch of circles when the code is generated i scale the drawing up until they quit. (example) last weekend i was doing a program for a raised name that i was going
to use for a stamp. when lcam finally generated a code with no crop circles the ratio was 8-1 . then when i ran the code with mach3 i set the scale of X and Y to .125

bill
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 06:39:22 PM »
I've had the crop circle "crop" up every now and then in some of my work, too. For some wood gears that I was making for a clock I discovered by accident that if you zoom in on a section of your dxf file before pocketing, it will usually come out right without the crop circle problem.

Best regards,
Mike
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 07:37:30 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll keep that in mind the next time I try it.
RC