Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:39:51 AM

Author Topic: My Lathe with the SmoothStepper  (Read 29011 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: My Lathe with the SmoothStepper
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »
ok, I'll have to do some checking because I'm soon ready to set up my little taig lathe.

Thanks-  :)
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2008, 12:19:58 AM »
Peter
 Have attached a file for a similar stub shaft to the one I did earlier except just quite a bit smaller. I have made it with a DOC of 1mm for the roughing which should be fine for your lathe. The speeds and feeds should also be fine for you if you are using carbide, I have noted in the code the tools that I used. I ran the code on the lathe here with 38mm dia EN24 and have taken a pic with the phone but will have to wait until I get home to download. It probably wont be worth seeing as the phone camera is not that great :( Oh and the thread is M10
Hood

Hi Hood,

thanks for that. I'll let you know how I go. I'm off to China next week, so it may have to wait until after that, depends on how busy the weekend gets.

Cheers,

peter.
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2008, 02:21:02 AM »

Hi Hood,

thanks for that. I'll let you know how I go. I'm off to China next week, so it may have to wait until after that, depends on how busy the weekend gets.

Cheers,

peter.

You are a week or two to late Peter, the olympics finished  last week,  then again the Chris Hoy is back home in Scotland now so you Aussie cyclists might not feel so bad ;)

Have a good trip.

Hood
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »
has the spindle encoder input been activated yet?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 08:30:11 PM »
Sort of but not as a general release. The beta plugin I have been testing can read an index pulse, whether that is from a single opto switch or the Index pulse from an encoder. The full encoder input is not done yet and I think Greg is working on that now. The Beta plugin requires the latest version of Mach which again is not perfected, its almost there but think there are still some issues with the VB.
Hood
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2008, 09:13:04 PM »
sounds good, I would be happy with just the index pulse . I am currently using the electronic gearing which smoothe stepper would allow me to get away from .

I am running the latest mach on the lathe and havent noticed any problems, anything I should be watching out for on the lathe?
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2008, 03:31:37 AM »

You are a week or two to late Peter, the olympics finished  last week,  then again the Chris Hoy is back home in Scotland now so you Aussie cyclists might not feel so bad ;)

Have a good trip.

Hood

No Not really. I'm going to the Paralympics. They start on the 6th September. I'm going there to accept an award for my cycling achievements over the past 10 years. :)

http://www.homanndesigns.com/Cycling.html
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2008, 03:35:43 AM »
The problems with the latest version are all VB related I think, the 005 version seems to have it mostly straightened out and I believe the 006 version which has just been released has a fix for G76. I never had a problem with G76 but seems like a lot did.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2008, 03:39:35 AM »
I kind of figured it would be to do with the paralympics but just thought I would tease you ozzies a bit ;)
Congatulations on the award Peter

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »
Just posting a pic here of 4 threads I have done, 2 with the parallel port at differing kernel speeds and the other two with differing versions of the SmoothStepper plugin I am testing. As can be seen all 4 threads are excellent, they are 140mm long 2mm pitch.
Hood