Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:29:00 PM

Author Topic: Looking for good DIY controller kit supplier  (Read 17090 times)

Re: Looking for good DIY controller kit supplier
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2020, 12:08:46 AM »
Stuffed that one up.
For X and Y axes say 500 revs/min equals 500 x 200 = 100000 steps/min equals 100000/39.37 steps/mm = 2540 mm/minute.
For the Z axis: 2540 plus 25% = 3175 (31.25 steps/mm)

I'll leave them at your suggested settings of 2000 mm/min for the X and Y, and 2500 for the Z axis, nice and safe.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2020, 02:38:30 AM »
ok tryed to find an answer for the question:

why are we not able to run X-axis on the A channel?

here is the answer: https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=202.0

sorry did not know about this.

that means you have to get the X-channel back working.
i would start with the Change of the DM7400N, maybe the burnt TP120 has also destroyed the Output
of the DM7400N.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 02:44:14 AM by TPS »
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2020, 03:46:17 AM »
Thanks TPS, good to know we're all still learning. I'll reset the pins first in MaxPath (MaxNC Mach111) and do a trial run, then I'll re-install Mach3 and see what the difference is.
The Y and Z axes were running much better in Mach3 than MaxNC Mach111.
I'll report back once that is done.

Then, if there are further X axis problems, I'll try to replace the DM7400N

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2020, 03:58:31 AM »
Both trials with MaxNC Mach111 and Mach3 were unsuccessful for the X Axis. The problem is the circuitry. as all motors work well on the Y or Z channels apart from Limit Switch issues
I have decided to call it quits with this circuit board as the actual board is also damaged with the first Capacitor replacement.
It also seems that other people have had similar problems with  MaxNC circuitry ...... no wonder MaxNC went bust.
I've been flogging a dead horse now for some 10 months and it has been enough.
I want to have a CNC that actually works.

I'll start another post with the question: does anyone know of a good but not too expensive DIY contoller/driver for either my existing or new motors

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2020, 04:25:23 AM »
If you want to stay on cheap side, buy TB6600 drivers and 5 Axis Mach3 breakout board (LPT) in well known Chinese supermarket.
My homemade CNC ruter has that configuration and cost for the above was cca. 40€. Add ti that a power supply and you are good to go.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2020, 04:41:29 AM »
ZASto, I'm an absolute newby feeling my way blind in the dark.
Does this configuration support encoders and limit switches, and does it have good installation guides?

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2020, 05:44:48 AM »
Encoders for what purpose?

Parallel BOB: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32955122211.html?aff_platform=portals-tool&aff_trace_key=c4172a430fe64741bab993f937ba5642-1606473628831-00379-_ePNSNV&tmLog=new_Detail

TB6600 stepper driver: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001493127765.html

Mach3 running on a bit older computer with Win XP, or as a last instance Win 7 32-bit
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »
To answer your configuration question about encoders, most hobbyist CNC machines are open loop. They don’t feed back the position to the controller with encoders.

The equipment ZASto suggested should be a bit better that what you have but has little extra for adding more features. Also you will need a power supply for the steppers. The stepper drive photos show they can use 9 to 42 volts. The higher the voltage, the more torque and speed you will get from the motors.

Here are a number of things to consider before you select your new equipment. I am including features you may want in the future. There are many posts discussing
 specific pieces of equipment.

Type of Interface to PC  BOB
Parallel - 1 port, limited number of Inputs and outputs.
USB, Ethernet - Multiple ports, some have an External motor controller
http://support.machsupport.com/en/kb/articles/what-is-an-external-motion-device

Electrical Isolation from the PC protects circuits from damage and interference. Isolation between the interface and the steppers and spindle is important too. The drives in ZASto’s link are optically isolated.
Many interfaces need a power supply, usually 5 volts.

Equipment to be interfaced
Limit and home switch inputs – more IO ports allows separate input of switches to help with troubleshooting.
E-Stop input
Stepper motor drives
Relays for Spindle On/Off - direction, Coolant, etc
Analog output for spindle speed

Stepper motor drives
Motor current, speed
Stepper motor power supply
Current setting for your steppers – we will need to determine that later

Optional equipment
Probe – set tool height
MPG – manual pulse generator to manually move the axes
LASER

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
I have looked at the specifications for motors with a the same frame size and similar holding torque and resistance. Their amps/phase is around 2 to 2.5 amps. If you apply too much current the motor will run hotter and the magnetic field will saturate give you no further improvement in performance. Too little current will reduce the torque but still be much better than the current system.
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2020, 07:36:58 PM »
Hello again MN300.

You speak from an assumed level of knowledge that I do not posses. This is fine by me, but that requires much research and homework on my part just to understand your terminology. To do so successfully, I would be asking quite some questions to consolidate my understanding and would like to have them answered individually, otherwise I'm left hanging ... that basically means mentorship on you part; would you be willing to do that?