Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:08:33 PM

Author Topic: MPG  (Read 13259 times)

MPG
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »
Hi guys,

I'd like to ask for your help. I've been trying to connect the handwheel (see image) to MACH3 and use it for jogging, without success so far. I have searched for information here on forum and on the web, only to get even more confused.

My question is, is it at all possible to connect and setup this handwheel without having second LPT port, modbus card, some special plugins etc.?

What I did is connect the handwheel's Vcc, GND, A(pin 13) nd B(pin15) to my BOB, and setup an MPG#1 as on the attached setup image. I guess I was overly optimistic, and I'm more than probably missing something, so I'd be thankful for any help.

I also wanted to ask if there's any option to select the axis for jogging via BOB terminals and if so, how to setup this?

If this has to do some other way, I'd also be grateful to some links to the information how exactly it should be done.

Best,

Miso
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:35:54 AM by mishko »
Re: MPG
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 12:21:41 PM »
Just connecting a 100ppr wheel isn't going to work. You need to get a pendant that has the driver, Mach 3 plug-in and means to select the axis. Vista iMach is good but there are quite a few on the market.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 01:57:03 PM »
Yes you can connect to the first port no problem, well as long as you have spare inputs.
Same for axis select switches but as there are only 5 inputs on the first port then you will be limited.

Did you switch the mode to the MPG via the Tab screen?

Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:39:46 AM »
Thanks for your answers, much appreciated.

Yes, I did switch to MPG in the onscreen jogger (TAB).

I was just interested if this can be done, I will free the inputs for the testing purpose if somebody can point me in the right direction. Do I have to set something else besides setting MPG#1 on teh MPG tab, enable something in some other place?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a couple PCI LPT ports ordered, so later it won't be a problem to add one if this works...

Miso

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:36:21 AM »
All you should need is to Enable the MPG in Ports and Pins, MPG page and enter the correct port and pin numbers and have it on MPG mode in the Tab screen (or make your own button for the main page)

It may be your breakout board that is the problem although I would have thought it would at least twitch the motors.

I ran my Bridgeport for a long time with the MPG connected directly to a second port, ie no breakout board.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:38:18 AM »
BTW , is the MPG definitely 5V?
I only see Vcc on it.

Hood
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:43:45 AM »
Yes, it is 5V, not on it but it's in specifications.

Thanks,

Miso
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 03:47:07 AM »
Yes, it is 5V, not on it but it's in specifications.
I've also checked it with oscilloscope, 5V, and it worked fine. he second AB pair is just inverted, I've tried both, but no luck...

Thanks,

Miso

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 05:49:57 AM »
Ok can you connect it again, set Mach up for the MPG then close Mach and then attach your xml.
I will have a look at the xml and see if I can find a problem with the config.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:40:15 AM »
Here it is, thanks again...

Miso