Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:35:44 PM

Author Topic: Spindle orientation with Mach3 Need help  (Read 2182 times)

Spindle orientation with Mach3 Need help
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:40:12 AM »
I´m retrofitting an old CNC-machine for wood with a bunch of spindles on a big vertical wheel of which each spindle has a different combination of cams and switches so that it can find the right spindle.
So, I wonder if its possible to do this in Mach3, for the programming its not a problem but can Mach3 time it reliable? (with the Ethernet smoothstepper)
I have tried before to stop a spindle when hitting an inductive switch but it was stopped sometimes directly and sometime it took a second or two from the switch was triggered until Mach3 turned it off so that did not work very well.
Has anyone managed this or do I need a PLC to make it work?
Would Mach4 work better than Mach3 for this?

Thanks.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle orientation with Mach3 Need help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
It would depend on what teh signaling requirements would be for teh device(spindleselection) Normally THAT would be controlled from a PLC and then teh PLC and Mach3 would talk to confirm actions.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »
Well there is no PLC there now so I will control the valves and motors either via Mach3 or a PLC.
So the question is how fast can Mach3 process a input in a macro and stop the spindle?
I would say that it has 0.5s or so to react.
And then there is the Smoothstepper in between...

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »
NOT NEAR fast enough doing it the way you are thinking of . The smoothstepper is not your friend either in this case (;-)

(;-) TP