Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:20:48 AM

Author Topic: Machanical Automatic Tool Changer  (Read 35337 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Machanical Automatic Tool Changer
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »
I dont use a hand held pendant but I use the MPG module to connect a MPG (Hand wheel) , feed and spindle override pots, axis select rotary switch and panel buttons etc. I have that mounted in my control panel (see pic) and I just have a long cable that goes back to the electrical cabinet to connect the MPG module to the main CSMIO.

Regarding the 120v, not sure if that could be used or not, I am not really the person to ask as I dont have any formal electrical/electronics training ::)

Most servo drives have a function in them for brakes, the power is sent to the brake as soon as the drive is enabled and taken away when disabled. If your drives do not have that feature then you most likely could set it up via the CSMIO enable function and use a relay as you are thinking.

Hood
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:24:26 PM by Hood »
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »
I have the IP/A, MPG, ENC and 2 I/Os on order, the IP/A is back ordered so I have an extra week to sort out my drives.  I'm going to see if I can get the axis drives running on single phase 220, if that works out then I will just get a cheapo 5-10hp phase converter to run while I save up for something nice.
That control console looks super cool-I have to admit after my first experience with Mach3 I never really thought people would/could use it beyond silly hobby machines but this project is looking more and more promising.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2013, 03:37:06 PM »
All of the machines I have done with Mach are a bit more than hobby machines. I dont do mass production on any but all would be capable.
Hood
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »
I got a response from CS-Labs about using an induction motor to drive the spindle:

"CSMIO/IP-A can home the spindle only when the spindle is driven by +/- 10V servo drive.
If you have a regular 3-phase induction motor with an encoder then you have to buy a VFD which has spindle homing function with encoder."

Are there VFDs that come with an encoder, or just ones that are compatible with encoders?

If I want to try and run the axis drives on single phase what kind of documentation do I need to find?  I have parts lists, operation and service manuals, controller manuals and a folder full of wiring diagrams-from what I can tell at least.  What do I need to look for to determine if its feasible to even do this?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2013, 03:07:29 AM »
That is good to know regards spindle orientation and the CSMIO.
Regarding the VFD, what they are meaning is some VFD's can take an encoder input for orienting the spindle, amongst other things, most of the cheaper ones cant but most of the ones on machine tools can or at least have the option to add a card/module for it.

I am not really qualified to say about what you will need to connect up to get an axis drive running from single phase, or indeed if it is possible.

Hood
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »
Well hopefully none of this will be needed as the stock drives will work...

How does the VFD work with the IP/A controller, is it still +/-10V signals?  Does the analog controller limit they type of VFD that I could run?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
There are two options for spindle control in the IP-A.
You can use the Spindle Axis option and that will output +/-10v
You can just use one of the normal Analogue outputs for the spindle and that will output 0-10v and you would use relays for for reversal.
Hood
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
Just a quick browse turned up a few VFDs capable of accepting analog inputs with encoders, but they all say the feedback is for better speed control, would I need to find one that has an encoder just for homing?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
Yes you would have to find one capable of orientation.
Hood
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »
Would it be possible to replace the existing spindle driver with one of these VFDs, or if that drive is toast am I at the point where I would need to replace the entire unit?  The spindle also already has an external rotary encoder driven by a belt, would it be possible to connect that to CSMIO or the VFD to gain some control?