Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:41:46 AM

Author Topic: First impressions of CSMIO/IP-A (analogue output version)  (Read 40944 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
First impressions of CSMIO/IP-A (analogue output version)
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:17:58 PM »
This is my first impressions of the analogue version of the CSMIO/IP. I have previously used the Step/Dir version and loved it but for me the analogue version is even nicer. I am fitting it to a Chiron FZ12S  and although I have not fully finished the retrofit I have seen enough to know it is working extremely well and beyond what I had hoped for.

In addition to all the things I like about the Step/Dir version the  analogue version has the Index homing feature and it  is very nice and works exactly as it should. The Step/dir version can also do it but it needs more setup and possibly additional hardware (depends on servo drives being used) The analogue CSMIO doesn’t require anything extra and all you have to do is enter the Home switch input and encoder count for that axis. When you home it moves to the switch at the speed you have set in Homing and Limits, it then backs off the switch at a much lower rate and then once the switch is again closed it seeks the index pulse of the encoder and sets machine cords.

Another great thing about the analogue version is the encoders are obviously constantly monitored (to close the loop) but they are also used to update the DROs in Mach, so once homed at start up Mach always knows exactly where the axis is, even after an E-Stop or if you disable the drives and move the axis manually.

The auto tuning also seems to work very well for me, so good in fact that I have not even bothered trying to tweak with manual tuning. Initially I was just using the default encoder simulation from my servo drives (4096ppr) but now I have increased that in the drives to 15,000ppr and things are even nicer.
 The reason I increased the encoder resolution was I was wondering if it would help give me smoother MPG motion. I had noticed that in later versions of the plugin the motion has not been quite so smooth on the lathe that I have the CSMIO/IP-S on, it used to be silky smooth but now it is slightly rough. It is still way ahead of multistep motion of the parallel port or smoothstepper but was just annoying me that it had been as smooth as silk previously.
 On the Chiron however is was much rougher and was actually getting to the point where it was too rough to be useable. The reason it was worse on the Chiron, I think,  is the combination of fast rapids\ fast acceleration\heavy machine. I contacted CS-Lab regarding later plugins having rougher MPG motion and it seems some users were having issues with the axes running on slightly after stopping turning the MPG so they altered things.. This happens in Mach also if you have slow acceleration so I suspect the people with that issue had slow accelerations.
 Anyway increasing the encoder counts seems to have helped as things are almost as smooth as the previous versions were on the lathe  and now I feel the MPG is very useable. The reason I think it has made a difference is the CSMIO is able to respond quicker due to the higher encoder count, but that’s just my thinking, it may be some other reason.
 So all in all I am extremely happy with the analogue version and I can see me updating my other machines in the future with the CSMIO/IP-A rather than the CSMIO/IP-S.

Hood
Re: First impressions of CSMIO/IP-A (analogue output version)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:49:38 AM »
Hood
We are still in the wiring stage of hook up. Should I have a constant 24v out put on pin 1 of my digital out put(24v supply for outputs 0-3)? And thus does my relay coil connect across pin 1 and pin 2(output 0)?
Also do I need to download additional drivers? My computer see's the controller but will not communicate?
Do you know if there is a schematic available for the this unit(CSMIO/IP-A)?
Thanks
Apollo ll

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:03:42 AM »
If you have the IP-A controller then you connect a 24v Supply to Pin 1, 4, 7, 10 and pin 14, 17, 20, 23 (positive to 1 etc,  0v to 14 etc) you then connect your load between the output pin and  0v
Same goes for the other outputs, see if pic below helps.
I you then call an output to become active current will flow from that pin, for example in the drawing below if you told Mach to set the IP-A's OutPut 0 active then the current would flow from Pin 2  through coil to 0v of the supply.

The only schematics available at this time are the pinouts of the connections, I think a full manual similar to the IP-S is being done at the moment but basically you connect things in a similar fashion to the IP-S just paying attention to the different pin layout in the IP-A.
Hood
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:08:09 AM by Hood »
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
Hood,
That sure does help.
Thank you

Apollo ll

Offline mmoe

•  23 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:45:54 AM »
I'm planning on ordering the CSMIO/IP-A this week, so it's good to read positive information about it. It seems like there really isn't much info out there yet.

I've got a 1991 Shinx router with Sanyo servos and drives, but the original controller just gave up the ghost. It was run by an Epson 286 that apparently is completely proprietary, and stopped reading the boot up disk (I've tried replacing drives, different disks, etc.). I look forward to reading more and perhaps contributing once I have one in my own machine.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 03:06:48 PM »
Well here is a post detailing the first parts made on the Chiron, couldnt be happier with the CSMIO, best controller I have used :)
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,22495.new.html#new

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
Very Nice Hood!, Nice all around!  Makes me jealous!  ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:45 PM »
Hood, Got another question regarding the wiring with my CSMIO/IP-A. My axis motion, jog and tool clamp inputs all have three wires. How do each of the hook up? Do they hook to the digital input or the analog? Thanks a lot for your help.
Apollo ll

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 07:13:25 AM »
What kind of inputs are they? ie the clamp, what is it?, a solenoid or a limit switch to say it has clamped ? or?

Hood
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
Hello Hood,
The axis motion is the jog hand wheel. The jog button is what changes the amount the machine moves with every click of the hand wheel (.001, .0001 and so on).
Im not certain about the tool clamped function, maybe some sort of safety?
I will try to send a picture of the diagram.
Thanks for all your help!

Apollo ll