Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:30:37 AM

Author Topic: First impressions of CSMIO/IP-A (analogue output version)  (Read 40956 times)

Offline mmoe

•  23 23
    • View Profile
Re: First impressions of CSMIO/IP-A (analogue output version)
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 05:37:48 PM »
I'll probably end up going under that assumption. ;)

My math was off earlier, it would only be 33.3 khz. The IP-A may fall asleep waiting for information from the encoders.

-Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
LOL.
Do the encoders feed back to the Amps?
If they do you can maybe multiply the output from the amp to the CSMIO, all depends on the age of the Amps I suppose, I have some Osai ones here that are just fixed output, ie whatever encoder count is in it is the same out but more modern ones you can multiply or divide the encoder outputs.
Hood

Offline mmoe

•  23 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »
The encoder feeds back only to the controller with A, A-, B, B-, Z, and Z- leads. The machine and servo system is circa 1991, so not ancient by analog standards I would suppose, but does not have that functionality.

-Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 02:47:24 AM »
There must be a tach on the motors then I would think that feeds back to the amps for speed reference?
Hood

Offline mmoe

•  23 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »
There are 2 tachometer wires running to/from the motors/amps. Does it use those as part of the feedback loop? There do appear to be some other features that I'm trying to decipher from the manual.

It looks like my IP-A and I/O modules arrive on Thursday or Friday depending on customs. Hopefully I'll see some basic motion in the next two weeks. :D
-Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
The amp will be using the tach for Velocity control  and the CSMIO will use the encoder feedback to close the position loop.
Modern drives tend to use encoders for both.
Hood

Offline mmoe

•  23 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 01:53:26 AM »
Since the encoder only feeds back to the controller, would it make sense to update the encoder to something with higher resolution? If so, does the encoder have to be the same type of encoder that was there originally? For example, could an encoder like that in the PDF below be used which has only A, B, and X (index), even though the original had a A, B, Z, A-, B-, and Z-. They both operate on the same 5v power supply. Would the newer encoder be necessary to home on index or would the old encoder provide an index signal the controller would recognize? The CUI encoder looks to be capable of over 8000 ppr after quadrature encoding, and given the slow speed of the motors and the CSMIO's capacity for reading the signal, perhaps it would be worth the upgrade? I would assume that it would help generate smoother motion, even if it doesn't really produce an practical mechanical resolution increase.

http://www.cui.com/product/resource/amt10x.pdf

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2013, 03:51:37 AM »
You want differential signalling, whether that is direct from the encoder or a line driver close to the encoder so if you go with the AMT you will have to either build  a line driver circuit or buy one.

The old encoder has index signals, that is the Z and Z- and you will be able to do index homing with it, assuming of course it is ttl output, it likely will be.

Higher counts are definitely an advantage, the encoders I have on the motors are sine/cosine encoders, what they call smart encoders, and have a standard count of 1024 lines (4096 quad), as they are sine waves they can be accurately interpolated and my drives can provide that to 256x.
I think personally I would set up with the original encoders first and see how things are, you will likely find they are at least as good if not better than now.

Hood
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 02:05:25 AM »
Howdy Hood, I have several issues that I could use your advise on.
1) On a CS-MIO--IP-A to an Apollo II hook up what is the wire to pin configuration when connecting the analog X, Y and Z (+/-10v) to the Axis Drive Boards? I am not getting ten volts from the outputs to control the Axis Drive Boards. Am I supposed to supply voltage some how or is the CS-MIO supposed to supply it?
2) What do I hook up the spindle break to?
3)I have my eject tool function hooked to output 1. How do I tell the Mach III program what that port is so it can control it, and the same with all the outputs?
Thanks a ton.
Apollo ll

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 04:03:39 AM »
What is ApolloII?

No you dont have to supply 10v, that will be supplied by the CSMIO. You will only get 10v when the CSMIO thinks it needs to send 10v to get the axis to where it is meant, normally you will see a much lower voltage. If you attach your xml I can check that you have Mach and the Plugin set correctly.

Normally a servo drive will have a brake connection on it so the drive can be set up to control the brake. If it doesnt then probably an enable in Mach or maybe even the Enables in the CSMIO would be used to control a relay that will power/unpower your brake. How exactly you do wil depend on the brake setup, normally they are spring loaded so that with no power they are applied, is yours that way?

I think the outputs on the main CSMIO are port 10 but would have to check up on that as its been a while since I set it up.

Hood