Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:34:08 AM

Author Topic: Digispeed not working  (Read 23012 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Re: Digispeed not working
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 07:37:01 AM »
Again Many Thanks Peter!!!
I realise that must be frustrating for you as well as us.
I have gone back to using  Pins, 14,17 as relay M3 and M4 and pin 16 as Sig. Please disregard wiring as shown in the phho its all temp trying to work out whats going on, normally its very neet and all shielded. I hope this photo helps.
I will wait to here back from you before I try re-wiring o the second board, and the reason for the second board is I need 10 inputs on the lathe refer
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,19655.0.html
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 08:34:13 AM »
Hi Katoh,

Thanks for the photo. from the jumper settings you are using the charge pump enable and the enable lo input to enable the BoB. Can you confirm that the Enable  Led on the BoB is flashing about 3 times per second. Can you confirm that the enable led is flashing at this rate?

Note that if the enable jumper is removed then that particular enable input is being controlled by you. If the jumper is inserted then it is over-ridden and does not affect  the enabling of the board.

There is a problem here. Currently you have configured the board to accept a charge pump signal from Mach3 on pin 17. You then say you are using pin 17 to control one of the relays. You cannot use pin 17 for both.

While we try to get the DigiSpeed to work, put a jumper in the Lo and CP position  of JP1. This way the BoB will always be enabled. Also ensure that in Mach3, that in the config tab for Outputs you disable the chargepump output.

You have set the pullup resistors on all pins to pull them to 0V. From that, you should be setting up the output signals on these pins to use positive logic (active when 5V is applied)

You should also be setting the DC-03 to use positive logic as well. For this, JP3 should be at the end with the ^ arrow.

You should also be setting two of the Mach3 outputs signals to control the parallel port pins 14  and 17. These pins are being used to control the two DC-03 relays.

These two outputs should then be set in the Spindle config tab to be controlled by the M3 and M4 commands.

Once you have done this you should be able to turn on the relays by entering "M3" and "M4" in the MDI input line.

Cheers,

Peter.

----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline otpco

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 09:07:36 PM »
OH Shoot I have the wrong board ! will order another !

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 07:42:25 AM »
Gentlemen
After a night of playing around with jumpers adding subtracting ect and more I have finally got Relays working.
Now when command M3 relay one switches on and M4 relay 1 off and 2 starts, M5 both relays on, Which I believe that is how it is meant to work.
I have used pin 14 and 17 as M3 and M4 and pin 16 as Sig. The VFD is not fully wired yet and there is no way of testing the 0-10v input thus far, but I may just temporary wire to check.
Peter I have attached Pics of BOB DC03 and a couple of screen shots for review if you see a problem please let me know. But you sent me on the right tract with your last post and what to look for. Is there anyway of testing the 0-10v without the VFD powered?
Thanks Again
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 08:05:04 AM »
Katoh,

Good to see you are making progress.

To test the analog voltage output without using a VFD, just use a 12V dc supply, or even a 9V battery connected to AV+ and Agnd in place of the VFD. You can then use a multimeter to measure the output voltage between Aout and Agnd.

Cheers,

Peter
Homann Designs

Offline otpco

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »
thanks pete hope to get going tomorow .

Offline otpco

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 08:09:12 AM »
will hook it up and see if I can get it to play with my old Rutex 990  boards

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 08:19:49 AM »
Thanks Peter
Any suggestions what , or it makes no difference what we set motor tuning up as on Mach to test?
The way I see it Max velocity should be 10v and 1/2 max rpm should be 5v.
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 07:31:41 PM »
The way I do my testing is this.

1. Connect a dc power supply in the range if 6v to 15V in place of the supply coming from the VFD.

2. Initially set the max spindle speed to the supply voltage times 100. so if you are using a 9V battery set it to 900

3. Now in Mach3 enable the spindle and set the speed to the maximum spindle setting. In out case 900

4. Ensure that the DC-03 multi-turn attenuation potentiometer is turned fully clockwise. (Max output, no attenuation)

5. Measure the voltage being generated by the Digispeed. It will be less than 9V by about 0.7V as this is "stolen by the semiconductor junctions.

6. Then set the Max pulley setting to match this measured voltage level, say 830. This would equate to 8.3V

7.  Now, you can check the linearity of the generated voltage against the commanded voltage. If you want to see 5.4V at the output , enter a speed of 540rpm. You can then check a range of values.

Then, once you hook it up to the VFD set the Max pulley speed  to match the actual measured maximum speed. Note that if you supply 10V from the VFD to the DigiSpeed, you won't get 10V back, but a little less. This will consequently reduce the maximum speed of you spindle. If this is a problem, you have two options;
1. Some VFDs have parameter settings that allow you to scale the max speed of the spindle. That is, you can set up the VFD to produce 400Hz (max speed) when it sees 9.3V rather than 10V at the control voltage input.
2. Use an on-board  DC/DC converter in the DC-03. With this the DC-03 will not rely on the 10V supply from the VFD, but generate the voltage it self.

Cheers,

Peter.

Homann Designs

Offline otpco

•  48 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 04:43:14 AM »
well an update still limping along .not dead in the water yet. I have movement from the spindle BUT the speed works in reverse ! also I cant get sig through the Bob .to my Rutex boards .If I bypass the bob rutex works fine . any ideas would be good thanks oldtime