Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:37:49 PM

Author Topic: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011  (Read 119905 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
As I said in an earlier post I'm using a modified popabear screen from Scott. I really liked his interface and clear high contrast display. I did change some things to make it fit me more personally for my liking and my machine.
Attaching the front screen I'm using

That's rather nice. Can one get a copy of the screen set?

Cheers
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »
Here are a couple adjustments I've made.
Added a TOUCH dro for each axis
TAB button
 Tool Change LED
Soft limits Toggle and LED
And a parts counter

Others pending..............
Russ

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 06:00:53 PM »
Hmmmm, both of you, nice mods!!
Just a side note as well, the "TAB" activated screen can also be "Large" in realestate size as welll by dragging it out.......  so if you wanted to move some of the LOW USE items, i.e. Front/Rear tool post, etc...... to the FLY OUT page, those new open spots on the page could be filled with otehr stuff, or.... stuff moved around what ever....... obvioulsy Joggin can be keep on the fly out as well.

Like I said, "Practical Lathe" was not meant for sexy, just Brutal work. My attemp at it was to put stuff that you need to use day to day for doing real work.
My eyes are OLD, so I made the buttons, dros, labels larger......... but, they could be made slightly smaller, to get more space or perhaps re-arranged...
I tried to put the Kitchen sink for the Lathe all on the single main page.......  but alot of that stuff........  is not neccessarily needed, and could be moved to the FLY OUT page (page 50).

OR............   Lets do the Poll thing and see what people would rather use as a base........
Another idea is, to get someting done in a group of people, some one needs to do something......... hehehehe
So, another option might be for all the lathe/screen people here, to take the Base "Practical" lathe set, modify, repost it then the next Lathe screen guy, gets it and add/changes what ever, then he repost.........

So, we could each of use, get it and change it, then repost it, then everyone comment on it, then the next guy takes that, and "Implements" those changes plus puts thier touches on it....... etc. then repost, comments..... then the next guy.....  Changes could also be UNDONE if not liked......

Currently, I am seeing about what 6 mabey 7 Lathe Screen designers here........ on the entire forum, who have put forth a lathe screen!!!

Lets get those guys, here..... send them IMs tell them to please participate.........  also HEAVY users like: HOOD, and Graham and others who may not necessarily like or submitting Lathe screen work, BUT, have TONS of day to day production experience that they could submit ideas for improvement...... perhaps those same guys could also do some "Real World" testing....... and feedback....  at some point, we will get to a consensus screen set......
which will just WORK..........  then we could let the "EYE CANDY" guys take that screen and put the GEE-WIZ on it, BUT, you would KEEP both screens sets.....
you could have one for simple contrast guys, and one for the guys that like the Zebra colored DROS with Furry backgound maps........

So, lets start this off now, if you want to just run with and MOD the CRAP out of Practical then here is a preposed "Designer" list to start, (and if I leave anyone off, just ADD YOURSELF!!!

1st guy up to bat:
   DaONe
2cd Guy
   Phil
3rd Guy
   Ger
4th guy
   M250cc
5th guy
   who ever else wants to put up, or shut up

Lathe Screen Testers/Users "Guru Lathe Guys"

Rich, Overloaded, Graham, Hood.......  others?

scott

fun times
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »
Hi All,
Just got here.
I made a request on the Mach Yahoo group that there should be a page for wizards rather than the standard access route which is too slow. Someone pointed out that Phil made a screen set which has such a page. I downloaded it and found it still too slow. But, I also discovered why, and a simple fix. The wizards were written as SCREEN SETS! It appears that Phil has pulled them apart and put them on a page, and in fact choosing a particular one, is choosing another page; GREAT. But the slow part is that the exit button loads a standard screen set; written that way because previously, (BP; before Phil) you were in a "wizard set".
If that exit button is simply changed to go to the "run" page number via OEM code, Phil"s set achieves the speed I was hoping for.

Now if I dare, I have couple Wizard wishes.
I think that on all Turn wizards, there should be:
A TOOL NUMBER dro
An APPEND button, so that the currently generated code appends the file rather than replacing it; like the New Fangled mill set.
A SPRING PASSES dro

I'd also like a speeds & feeds, surface speed, wizard.

Jerry "Ozzie" Pryor
Old Curmudgeon

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 08:56:47 AM »
So, I guess this thread has died again...... anyone? lots of ideas..... anyone want to do a base screen set? or say what to put on a base set?
where to starts, who to start....... etc........

scott
fun times
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
Hi Scott,
Looks dead to me.
Everyone's wants are diversified, as evidenced above. Even the set I'm using that I designed for myself doesn't do all I want; design time too demanding.
Parts of my set, (probing in turn), will be published in Digital Machinist, spring issue. By summer I'll put it up here, but there will be many objections; too cluttered,  buttons too small, color doesn't follow a theme, etc., etc., etc.
Maybe the Mach Turn community is just too small to get to a consensus set.

Ozzie

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »
Sorry guys.. I am still working on mine..had my Haas VF-2 burn out a board due to a friend plugging in a 4th axis board backwards. Needless to say my focus was on repairing CNC computers for the past week as I was quoted over $10,000 to have it fixed. :o Good news is I actually fixed it! Only had to replace 37 ICs across 5 boards to do so... 160 volts into a 5 volt logic gate has the effect it seems. Anyways... I will be plugging on it again this week. Don't want to release anything quite yet as I don't want anyones machine to crash on my macros. I know it wont fill everyones needs but I hope it will help many. I hope I am not the only one still working on this?

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2011, 07:14:51 AM »
anyone?..... Bueller?...... Bueller?..... Bueller?.........

Is there any interest in this, I don't mind putting forth a Base functional screen, but......  the other Rodeo Clowns need to get in the barrel as well....

How about this, lets pic ONE page at a time, lets start with baby steps maybe.....

Here is a preposed what should go on Page one:

1. X/Z dros (medium to large size) with Zero button, and ref LED and home buttons.
2. Touch off dros & tool # dro with tool table access button
3. spindle speed with whats on the current set (practical lathe), typical spindle stuff, plus maybe CW/CCW/Spindle stop buttons/LEDs.
4. Feed Rate stuff typical.
5. program control: usual buttons/LEDs
6. Work Control and status area: Coolent, coor. display, limit ovrs, etc?
7. G code window, Toolpath, MDI, Mach Message label (perhaps small(er) windows on the Toolpath/gcode?

Please add, subtract, anything to this list for Page One (the main Run page).

scott

fun times
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »
Fire away!

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »
Hi Scott,

I for one, would like to see a normal FRO, like in mill. A one that works on a percentage basis and not a one that adds increments of feedrate.

Also, on the main screen I would like to see the current tool number and offset and an LED showing if the offset is enabled. You mentioned the tool number DRO, so only add the offset DRO and the LED.

I also liked the G94/G95 buttons and LEDs on the boave Ozzie's screen.

Dan