Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:15:43 AM

Author Topic: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011  (Read 119584 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: THE LATHE PROJECT - 2011
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 01:14:28 AM »
The ULTIMATE guy, ( in my book at least ), for Graphic Design is: Jason "Zealous" Blake. The man is the Yoda of Graphics (and flash for that matter).

Perhaps, pimp him, Rich and Daone and see if he would be interested.

There are others here, who are also good with the: "Real Draw Pro" software.

I use Real Draw, Fireworks, or Flash but agiain, the King is Jay....

scott

fun times

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 07:39:31 AM »
so.......... is the Lathe Project dead?

scott
fun times

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
Hi Scott,
Well we gave it some time , about 3 weeks , I haven't seen a whole lot of interest other than the few that replied.
Haven't been on the site much in the last week due to flu so don't know what's happening.

RICH

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
  • Time is the same in a relative way
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:34 PM »
I really hopre this doesn't die, perhaps the lack of interest just reflects the time of year? People on holidays etc.
Cheers

David

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »
I am still very interested and should have a little free time coming up. I just need a direction to go. I haven't really got a clue what to start working on.
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 01:11:31 PM »
Quite interested myself, Lathe has been the dirty stepchild of mach too long, would be nice to see it get a face lift on the screens. I've been using a lathe screen that is based on Scotts Practical Lathe screen that I've modified lightly to suit me. I do like the ideas you are discussing too, During development of a new screen I just hope you all shy away from graphically adding fake glare on DRO's and Buttons, while those effects are quite beautiful in the office, the added fake glare makes the real glare in the shop worse.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
Ok, lets do this then, Lets do a "Poll" and put up all the "Lathe Screens"  on the poll.
Personally, I don't really which one you pick, my thought is let put out a "Blurb" on the Mach Yahoo, and General thread section on this forum asking Lathe users to "Vote" on thier favorite lathe screen. Lets first submit a list of potiential canidates i.e.: my screen, blue lathe, gers, phils, daones, etc.......  those who sell thier screens commercially, and dont want them submitted then dont submit those.

Once the "Poll" is up, and let it run for a week or so, then the "Winner" will be used as a "Base Project", we will then take that Base Lathe Project screen, then between all the participants once a Winner is picked, lets then submit, what is wanted Added, removed changed..... etc.

From there, I dont mind doing a "Beta Revision" of that screen i.e. makeing sure all the functionallity is there, BUT, I am NOT an "Eye Candy"/graphics guy, so once the functioning skeleton is there, then one of you Glamor boys can make it look good........

Note: Once the "Finalized" version is done, I suggest that we "ADD" all the Lathe specific Wizards (that are not currently OEM), and make an installer package that would install
a functioning example: lathe XML, Screen set, Bitmaps, AddOns/Wizards, Macros etc, I dont mind doing a MSI installer for the community.

Note2: If the interest is there, I could do this screen in Flash as well, for those wanting to save on CPU usuage.

Just some thoughts,

Scott
fun times

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »
Hi Guys

I am very interested, because the current standard lathe screen is a bit of a pain at times. But I have zero experience with the screen design side of things and can't contribute there.

I will comment that some improvements to the Tool Table screen would be nice. I am trying to use a 4-head tool holder for repetitive production work, and setting it up each time is a real PITA. Trouble is, while it has 4 tool posts, the tools in each post can change between jobs.

Also, the manual tool movement (ie from the KB) having just full-speed and whatever dead slow crawl sped has been set can be very frustrating. A third intermediate speed would be so  nice.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »
That's a pretty good idea Poppa.
I've been using your "Simple"screen all along, with a couple mods. Wanted to do more but won't take the time to. So, I thought I better chime in here to support the endeavor.
 I'll post the additions/ changes I made shortly.
I hope this doesn't die, it is badly needed.
Russ
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
As I said in an earlier post I'm using a modified popabear screen from Scott. I really liked his interface and clear high contrast display. I did change some things to make it fit me more personally for my liking and my machine. Note the graphics are still crude.
Eye candy as its been described is a certainly something that will not find it's way into my garage PC no matter how pretty it looks in the office. Being able to customize a little is also important in my opinion. I cannot imagine there being a one size fits all when it comes to a lathe screen

Attaching the front screen I'm using
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 07:53:25 PM by RGB Specialties »