Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:09:04 PM

Author Topic: Should I scrap Vista for XP?  (Read 20782 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Should I scrap Vista for XP?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »
Sorry dont really follow, what does it say now, doesnt matter whether it says LPT 1 or LPT2 or whatever, just let me know what the address for each and every LPT that is showing in device manager and I will set up an xml for each and you can test each to see if we can get it working. The only part of the address I need is the first 4 digits, in your example above it is  D800 for port 1 and DC00 for Port 2.
Got to go to a meeting with a customer but will check when I get home.
Hood

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2008, 11:01:46 AM »
In the Device manager, Moschip LPT1,resources-LPT1D800 & Moschip LPT2, resources-LPT2 DC00. I must also leave for a while. Thanks for all your time and effort thus far. Colin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2008, 02:34:37 PM »
Download both of these files into your Mach3 folder and then use the Mach3 loader and choose one of them from the list and see if it works. If it doesnt close Mach and then restart the loader and choose the other and see if it works.

Hood

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »
I did not have any luck here, as it would tell me that it was not a licenesed version of mach4 and it was aborting. What's up with that?
Therewas a "get port address" file inthe mach folder I do not remember seeing prior, went into that and it seemed windows took some time and would not allow it. I have no idea what is going on with that either. Is there any way I can connect this computer so you could look at it?...

I am thinking about uninstalling everything and starting over. There's no telling what I have done to this thing. Colin

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2008, 11:03:57 PM »
If I click on the "get port address" in the mach folder, I get the following windows and "access denied". Does this mean that Vista is denying Mach3 access to the pp driver? I have uninstalled mach3, drivers for the pp port, rebooted and reloaded, still is not right.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:15:50 PM by CT »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2008, 03:40:55 AM »
OK the licence problem may well be my fault, I am testing out some Beta stuff and it could be that because of that the xml carries some info and because it is not installed on your computer you are seeing the error.
 The Get Port is normal to have in the Mach3 folder and it is good that it is showing your port address, it is however showing up LPT1 different from what you say it shows in device manager so might be a good idea to  start Mach3Mill from your old xml, ie just start via the Mach3Mill shortcut Icon. Once opened change the port address to D480 and keep your fingers crossed :)

Rich
 I think Colin said earlier that a printer worked on the port so it must be installed correctly if that is the case.

Hood
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:45:10 AM by Hood »

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2008, 11:17:57 AM »
Rich, Thanks for the reply, it's sounds like it could be some of my issue's. I have done so many things to this computer, mach and everything else, I am not even sure what I have done. I am desperate right now.

Hood, thank you for your reply as well, the pictures I loaded here are what I have since uninstalling everything and reloading it. It seems that something may not be quite right here. Is it possible I have not dumped & reloaded everything properly. If I have done it correctly, then something is wrong and not sure what I need to do to fix it. Colin

Rich, to answer your question about the card it is; NetMos, dualport, PCI nm9815cv, spp/epp/ecp mode, multi I/O controller card made in china. Hope this is enough info. as it's about all that is on the box. In the instruction sheet, it said nothing about Vista however, on the CD that comes with, it shows something about Vista 32&64 somewhere in the file. I'm not sure if it is compatible. It took some playing around with the ports just to get the printer to go through the printing motions. It never did print (with ink anyway) what I sent to the printer (Ink Cartridge was old and crusty) but it did respond and go through the process as if it did. I replaced the cartridge and with all the excitement of "Wow I actually made some improvement" forgot to remove the tape from it and wedged it right on in there and clamped it down (TIGHT). Once I figured out why this piece of junk would not still print, I removed the tape and still would not lay down the ink. So, I don't know if I broke it or not.

I certainly would be grateful if you could investigate this port to see if it is compatible.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:37:39 AM by CT »

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
Hood, BTW, I tried to go into the loader and pick which xml to use but, it would not let me. It kept going back to the last config I made when I sent the xml to you. It let me make or create "one" profile. But, once I deleted the one I made, that was it. I am trying to remember everything that happened. Colin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2008, 01:39:18 PM »
Sounds like the best thing to do is start from scratch if you can, format the drive and reinstall Vista, the PCI port and Mach.
Hood

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2008, 01:34:01 AM »
Rich,

Good advise, most likley there is not a full install disk incuded in the system, just a restore disk so doing a fdisk would be fatal. Even then HP would probably want the HDD back and ship a new disk with the OS installed. One good reason I keep behind the pack and always have a installable OS disk.

I might add sometimes it's better to remove, reboot, reboot and then shut down before re-installing a hardware item, don't know why but there seems to be some latency built in that will restore the old settings on one shutdown and not allow for a clean install. I had the same problem with Mach3, tried to just re-install, same problems, uninstall reboot and install, same problem but after uninstall and two reboots it worked fine in XP. These dang OS's take over and are hard to repair. On that note, if there is still a "restore point" in vista, he could try to just back up to the original software settings and start fresh.

ALT-CTL-DEL

Kristin