Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:44:41 AM

Author Topic: convert Plasmacam's *.pcm to mach3 *.tap file  (Read 8682 times)

Offline oskie

•  29 29
    • View Profile
convert Plasmacam's *.pcm to mach3 *.tap file
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:19:26 PM »
I have a customer that is running plasmacam and would like to buy one of my cnc tables, he would like to simply convert all his legacy files over to Tap files.  I have been trying to learn mach3 to see if I want to change from Deskcnc and also would like to know where to change the rapid movement distance for the z axis, it is set at 60 in default( not sure why).  If any of you are able to help in any way that would be very helpful.
Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: convert Plasmacam's *.pcm to mach3 *.tap file
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »
Can you attach an example of the plasmaCAM file, might be that Mach can use it as it is, if not then maybe someone seeing the output code will be able to recommend a converter.

Not sure on your other question, what exactly are you meaning by the rapid movement distance?

Hood

Offline oskie

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:47:50 PM »
I tried to attach a file, but said the*.pcm was an extension that was not allowed to upload, am I doing something wrong?

Offline oskie

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »
Not sure on your other question, what exactly are you meaning by the rapid movement distance

I will try a different approach, once the machine finishes a pocket, the Gcode wants to drive the z axis 60" up before it moves to the next pocket.  Once it arrives to the next pocket it then wants to drive the z axis dow 60".  My z axis is only 5"
Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 02:19:37 AM »
OK sorry about that, I have now allowed pcm files to be attached to the forum so you should manage now, just for your reference if there is a file that the forum wont accept you can zip it and it will attach OK.

Your Z going to 60" between pockets is because the G Code is telling it to do that, what do you use to generate your code?

Hood

Offline oskie

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »
I was using lazycam to convert from DXF to TAP - here is the pcm file.
I looked in Lazycam, but couldn't find any setting for z dimensions.   I have included a pcm file for you to look at.
Thanks for your help,

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 03:48:03 AM »
Sorry dont use LazyCAM so cant say where you will set the Z height but it has to be there somewhere.
 Had a look at the pcm and have done a lot of google searches but come up a blank with that as well :(
 Is the pcm you have attached the actual code that the plasma runs from or is it some form of drawing file?
Hood

Offline oskie

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 09:52:49 PM »
I believe that it is the actual machine code, I can't get hold of him to verify.  As soon as I find out I will send a reply
Thanks