Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:41:20 AM

Author Topic: Should I scrap Vista for XP?  (Read 20777 times)

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
Should I scrap Vista for XP?
« on: May 28, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »
Is there anyone successfully using Vista with Mach3 2.0. I am a newbie with a newly retrofitted mill and I believe Vista is the problem. Thanks Colin

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
Re: Should I scrap Vista for XP?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:37:19 PM »
Colin,

I was reading your other post and am still unclear about your printer port, is this a card slot port or some USB adaptor. I'll keep watching your other post for updates as it will be easier to follow the whole flow of things there rathr than starting a new thread.

Kristin
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »
The question is is anyone successfully using it for anything. It has been dubbed the New Millennium.

Microbloat are ditching it for Windows 7

I myself have just bought a new laptop NOT for Mach it came pre installed with Vista so i did try it but it was just so slow.

Put on XP, which i can start up, check email, then shut down faster than Vista will boot, total rubbish, albeit pretty.

Phil_H
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:12:12 PM »
I tend to agree, seen lots of computers recently with Vista and even tried it on my own one here at home when it first came out. If the computer has 2 Gig of memory then it will run at the speed XP will run with 256Meg (if lucky LOL)
 I would imagine that there will be many features that can be turned off so that things speed up a bit but not worth the hassle, XP or Win2K run much better and dont try and interfere with everything you do.
Hood

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
Kristen,

The PP (DB25?) is a Moschip aftermarket card I purchased. Recommended after I was told the USB adaptors would not carry the signals needed. I installed it, downloaded the drivers online because I couldn't figure how to get it off the CD they sent. I then followed Machs tutorials on how to designate the proper address, which seemed successful, I continued setting up via video (Great BTW!) to the point where he says: you should be able to move your motors only right now, the rest we will do later....Well, it's later and I am still waiting for my motors to move. I am kinda green with this so, if someone said burn it- then throw it to the dogs, I would.

Hood,

I have a meter and will do what you have suggested.

I do not mind messing with Vista as long as I will get working results in a reasonable amount of time. I want to use my mill, I am behind on a engine construction project and by letting this get in the way, it is starting to consume me.

Colin

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:14:16 PM »
Colin,

If you can scrap vista I would, seems most people work well with XP, question is do you have the XP OS on CD to do that. Next Q, since it a new system, I would recomend swapping out the HDD and using another to install XP on so as not to mess with the "factory installed" OS should you need warrenty service. Since it's a PCI card it should work, the address you gave here or on the other thread seemed strange to me is there any way you can assign 0X378 to that port? It seems like the # you gave may be a virtual port address and that may make a big difference if the PC has to jump through hoops to send a signal to it. Just a thought as I just recently upgraded to XP from 98 but each OS has it's "funny quirks" and I used to be much happier when I could set a hard address by jumpers rather than plug and play software, a whole lot less problems and trouble.

Kristin

Benny

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:37:50 PM »
None of us would be having this discussion if Mach ran on Linux and there was some good CAD /CAM software for it as well.

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:58:25 PM »
Colin,

If you can scrap vista I would, seems most people work well with XP, question is do you have the XP OS on CD to do that. Next Q, since it a new system, I would recomend swapping out the HDD and using another to install XP on so as not to mess with the "factory installed" OS should you need warrenty service. Since it's a PCI card it should work, the address you gave here or on the other thread seemed strange to me is there any way you can assign 0X378 to that port? It seems like the # you gave may be a virtual port address and that may make a big difference if the PC has to jump through hoops to send a signal to it. Just a thought as I just recently upgraded to XP from 98 but each OS has it's "funny quirks" and I used to be much happier when I could set a hard address by jumpers rather than plug and play software, a whole lot less problems and trouble.

Kristin

Kristen,

I do not have XP on CD, of course when I purchased the computer they said they could install another HDD and load it there. As far as assigning a different port address such as OX378, You would have to explain how to do that to me..

I was just out in the shop checking for voltages as Hood had recommended and could not get anything on my dir pins 2(X),4(Y) or 6(Z) to a ground pin (18-25). (I believe I had the correct pins)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:29:04 AM »
CT
 B400 (or whatever it was) will likely be the correct address, 0378 is the standard address for onboard parallel ports but PCI can be all sorts of addresses, dependant on chipset, slot used etc. As an example one of my cards addresses is 9c00.
 As you have tested with the voltmeter and its not showing any voltage it shows your card is not installed properly, either in Vista or the address is not right for Mach, I think however the address is correct from what you have said. I think there are some programmes you can download for free to test a parallel port, try doing a google to see if you can find one and give it a try.

Benny
 Yes you are correct, we would be to busy climbing that big old hill thats called the Linux learning curve , so no questions (or machining )would be getting asked (done) :D

Hood
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:20:34 AM by Hood »
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:37:50 AM »
Hood the laptop i bought HAS 2 gig ram Intel duel core CPU, with vista about as fast as a snail.

I bought it as refurbished, but it was brand new sold at a lower price due to having Vista as the OS

Another tip on a different note is a program called NLIGHT "Free Download" it made a new WinXP boot disk with slipstreamed SP3 all the drivers for the laptop and worked perfectly The laptop has a sata HD, no floppy so i couldn't have done it without NLIGHT well i could but it would have been a headache

I am going to put a multi boot system on it and try out ubuntu and see what all the fuss is about

Phil_H
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable