Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 01:49:48 PM

Author Topic: Should I scrap Vista for XP?  (Read 20877 times)

Benny

Re: Should I scrap Vista for XP?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 10:49:52 PM »
The attachment problem is now fixed.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 04:54:19 AM »
Colin
 Thats the backup xml's you have sent. What you want to do is look in the Mach3 folder and you will see Mach3Mill.xml, you probably wont see the xml part as the file extension will probably be hidden. You have gone into the Mach3 folder then into the backup folder.

Hood

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 08:13:52 AM »
Hope this is it!

Well...it went up, hope it's the right one. I may have to step out for a couple of hours. Will check back as soon as I can. Thanks Colin
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:19:40 AM by CT »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »
OK think I see your problem. you have the Port 2 enabled and looking to your PCI cards address. Problem is you also have your pins 2-9 enabled as inputs, take the check out of that box and you should get some  control.
 Really it would have been best to set it all up as Port 1, put the address of your PP in the Port 1 address and disable port2. Then you would need to change all your outputs etc to look at port 1 rather than the 2 you have it at the moment. So if disableing the 2-9 as Inputs work then probably best to change it, but simply disableing the 2-9 as Inputs at the moment will show you if that is your problem.

Hood

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2008, 09:40:11 AM »
I will go and do that although I have been switching that back and forth trying various config. not knowing any better.  Colin

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2008, 09:59:10 AM »
A message for Jeff Birt

The fact of the matter is the best time to get a new OS is when like XP it is near the end of it's life all the bugs "Well Most Of Them" have been ironed out as with XP and SP3 this link shows that Vista takes more than twice as long to complete a task http://news.cnet.com/Windows-XP-outshines-Vista-in-benchmarking-test/2100-1016_3-6220201.html

From the linked site:
Vista, both with and without SP1, performed notably slower than XP with SP3 in the test, taking over 80 seconds to complete the test, compared to the beta SP3-enhanced XP's 35 seconds.

Vista's performance with the service pack increased less than 2 percent compared to performance without SP1--much lower than XP's SP3 improvement of 10 percent. The tests, run on a Dell XPS M1710 test bed with a 2GHz Core 2 Duo CPU and 1GB of RAM, put Microsoft Office 2007 through a set of productivity tasks, including creating a compound document and supporting workbooks and presentation materials.

My response: Who cares???????? It has nothing to do with this thread or anything I said. Win 95 used more resources than 3.1, 2000 more than 95, and XP more than 2000, why is it amazing that Vista would run better with more resources than XP? I merely said that everyone jumping in to bash a particular OS wasn't very helpful; showing that under ONE condition in ONE test on ONE machine that Vista is slower than XP is somewhat helpful, but shows nothing about its applicability to Mach. That's the way benchmarks are, you can choose just the right tests to show anything you want. Some folks will run Vista and XP and Vista on the same machine and jump up and down when they see that Vista uses more of the available memory. My question was: Why shouldn't it. Why would you want to to put 2GB of memory in your computer and only take advantage of half of it?????? (You wouldn't cram all you tools in half your shop would you?

I have yet to see a single fact that shows why Vista would not be a good operating system for Mach, only different people opinions. I really don't care if anyone like Vista or not. That is not the point. Bring facts to the table to support your opinion on why one OS is better for Mach than another.

Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »
I made the changes last night because it was showing (2-9) as unchecked. When I went back into the xml, it still showed it as married to port 2. Do I have to reboot after making changes like that? I disabled port 2 as well with no change to the xml or the problem. Still no motor movement or signals on the port. Now when I put this PP card in, it came with an additional port to be plugged into the board (PCI Card). I did not plug the second one into the card thinking I did not need it.

Do I need to pre-tune the motors before attempting this stage of setup?
According to the setup video, I thought I coverded the required config. just to see if I had motor response. Is there something I should take a look at?

Is it possible that making as many changes as I have made, be counterproductive? Kristen said I should consider uninstalling I guess Mach3, PCI card Drivers etc. and reinstall. Should I be doing that?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:12:20 AM by CT »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
ok, can you take a screen shot of your port address, with what you are saying maybe you have two ports showing in device manager and maybe you have the wrong one set up. Let me know the address and I will configure your xml and we will see if it works.
Hood

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »
The initial address which came up right after I installed the Port Driver was: D800-D807& D480-D487 Port *1, in Port #2: DC00-DC07 & D880-D887.
Now, in the port settings window I have the "use any interupt assigned to this port" checked. Is this right? Colin

Sorry, it originally said *LPT2 & #LPT3, of course I have changed them now.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:24:42 AM by CT »

Offline CT

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2008, 10:39:27 AM »
Is it possible that Mach doesn't recognize the addresses provided by the PCI card Chipset? Colin