Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:05:40 PM

Author Topic: mill retro HELP  (Read 93349 times)

Re: mill retro HELP
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2008, 12:09:16 AM »
Hood,
   Hope you don't mind,but it appears you know more about everyones problems on these forums
then anyone, thats why I'm here.
I have my PDMX bob and Gecko 340s wired up. I left all jumpers in the default positions.
When I turn the machine on , all gecko fault  leds come on and stay on. :-\  They will go off when
 I hit my manual  e-stop.
ED V
Ed VanEss

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 01:00:38 AM »
Hi, ED

When you apply power to your Gecko's, It's normal to see the Fault led lit, You need to re-set them after power on.

If this is the first time you've powered them up, There is some testing you need to do, Read over there manual first.

Hears a link to the manual  https://www.geckodrive.com/upload/G340-REV-7-Manual.pdf

Tell us, Have you connected the Err/Reset terminal up at this time, It's used to reset/stop/fault the drive and there are several ways you can connect it.

Llet us now how you have it wired so-far.

Hood should be up soon.

Chip
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 01:55:24 AM »
THANKS CHIP,
Your up late. No, don't have any thing wired on the err terminal. The instructions aren't to clear to me.
Ed VanEss
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 02:32:59 AM »
ok, I must put a jumper between 5 & 7. ?  Will try that tomorrow.
I can't even spell lektrichin.

i'll be back.
Ed VanEss

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 03:58:11 AM »
Hi, ED

Don't just start hooking this Stuff Up, It Can Get Scary, Some slow step's Now, Please !!!

Do you have the encoders wired up, Verify the A B signal's at the Geckos are good, Move the axises to mid point if there hooked up.

Do the Drives "One At A TIME". Gecko usually sets the adjustment pot's to mid point, Probably a good starting point.

The Err/Reset, If Grounded will hold the drive in Fault/Inhibit/No motion, It needs 5 volt to reset the drive (Just long enough to Re-set Fault Led).

If your encoders aren't working properly , Be Prepared to Turn The Power Off, Servo may run Away.

If the Servo Jumps and Faults, The encoder A,B's are  Backwards (In dis-agreement with the Motor Polarity/ Direction).
You can swap the A B's Around or Motor Polarity, "Just not Both".

If your Lucky, It will just Reset and Hold Steady.

Don't let the Drives or Servos get to Hot, The Adjustment's Limit, Dampen and Gain are as follows, More or Less.

Limit, Sets the max current to the motor.

Gain, Sets the initial motor current (bottom of the torque curve/holding current/at rest Temperature),

Dampen, Set's the Servo motor response to movement, (Over/Under Shoot of Motor to Encoder Position/Follow Up/Error's in Commanded Position).

Gain and Dampening, It's a Balancing Act, Not set properly, You'll get allot of Opinion's on this.

If the Gain is to high the motor may/will vibrate and needs more dampening.

If the Dampening is to high/Low the motor won't follow it's commanded position moves.

A Scope is nice, Then you can see what's going on, Re-Read the Manual.

Don't get in a Hurry, Just some basics Hear.

Just a Start, Chip
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:02:22 AM by Chip »
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2008, 03:14:19 PM »
Chip.

Thanks again, I'll go through your info, "carefully" and see what happens. I have my manual e-stop wired through
a latch relay which cuts the servo power, but I see the Gecko instructions say not to run servo power through a switch.
The way I have it wired through a relay acts as a switch. This is wrong ??? >:(

Another thing I don't like in the Geckos is- wire terminals for power are to small. Also You must remove the Gecko
from the heat sink plate tp remove the cover.{att Marriss}

Gainsville    Home of Big Daddy Don Gartlits and the Swamprat. Seen him up here 50 years ago when he was a youngster.

I recently bought an Oscilliscope off e bay, but of course , probes not included. :(

Thanks again Chip.
Ed VanEss

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »
Hi, ED

I think they would prefer the power off switch/relay on the AC side of the power supply.

Don Gartlits, That's a name I remember also, Good old day's.

You can get it pretty close with out the scope.

Chip
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2008, 06:16:54 PM »
Chip,
 I'll change the relay to the ac side of the transformer. I'm aso runing my ac for the spindle motor starters threw the same relay.
I also can'tfind the test points on the drive. It doesn't look the the manual pic. I'll post a pic of mine.

Thanks again Chip

Ed V.
Ed VanEss
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2008, 06:55:43 PM »
Chip
 heres a pic of my gecko.  test points ??
Ed VanEss

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2008, 07:00:23 PM »
Looks like they are lower right, two wire loops?

Hood