Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 08:07:27 PM

Author Topic: CNC4PC ESS C82 mach4 setup  (Read 2758 times)

Re: CNC4PC ESS C82 mach4 setup
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2022, 02:25:32 AM »
Hi,
before I built my mill I bought a 400W B2 series Delta servo and drive to experiment with and determine whether they would be good enough
for my planned build. They were every bit and more than I expected, so when I built my mill I used them 750W B's. They were only about $40 more
than 400W servos so why not?

One of the things I experimented with was how fast you can go with single ended signaling. The specs say 200kHz.  I tried them  up to 300kHz, but they started
going cranky at about 230kHz. So I regard 200kHz as a good spec.

I have my servos direct connected to 5mm pitch ballscrews, and I chose to make the resolution 1um. That is to say I programmed the drives so that 5000
pulse would cause the servo to rotate one revolution. The rated speed of te servos is 3000rpm, but they can go to 5000rpm. So I calculated the pulse
stream required to make my servos go 5000rpm at 1um resolution:

5000 X 5000 /60= 416.7 kHz. I determined there fore that single ended would not be fast enough ie I required differential signaling, which is rated to 500kHz.
That is what I did.

Note however if I had chosen to relax the resolution to 2um then the calculation changes. Lets face, it 1um is nice but its too f'ing small to measure,
and 2um is still too f'ing small top measure. Additionally while my machine can do 25m/min with the servos doing 5000rpm, I seldom run it anywhere near that,
its just too scary fast, 3000 rpm is still way fast enough. So the calculation is:

2500 x 3000 /60= 125kHz Now 125kHz is well within the single ended signaling rate.

So you see that because I wanted high resolution AND max speed I backed myself into differential, but I could still have a way fast and accurate machine
single ended, and in this case hubris got the better of me.

I suggest you do the calculations to determine what you want, and then be realistic about what you need. I rather suspect if you are more realistic than I, you
would come to the conclusion that single ended is every bit good enough.

Of course if you do decide that single ended is good enough that simplifies the task at hand, namely getting the bloody servos to run at all! I could give
you a parts list and you can get started tomorrow. Do you have a RadioShack or equivalent nearby?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 11:43:48 PM »
Thank you very much for the message. I am calculating and trying to figure out what we will do. But I received the email from the supplier od C82 and ESS, he knows about my issue..
He asked me to do this:
This you need to change in the servodriver itself. It should be sending a high signal when the servo is active (NO_FAULT), it is sending a low. You need invert the active high/low of the NO_FAULT signal. This is a simple and common setting in the servo driver.

I am trying to find out, how and where, I found t should be P0 02, but it is not. Please would you mind to help me with this so I can try ?
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2022, 12:18:58 AM »
Hi,
have you plugged the servo drive into the PC and installed the Delta software? There are hundreds of parameters that go into a modern servo you effectively MUST have the set-up
and tuning software otherwise you'll get nowhere, and you absolutely have to program the drive to suit your machine, there is no such thing as plug-and-play with these servos.

The drive has 8 digital inputs, and each input can be programmed to be a particular function. Its common (default) for SON to be assigned to DI1 (Digital Input 1) but it could just as easily be DI5 say.

The drive has 6 digital outputs (DO's) It's common (default) to have the alarm input on DO5. Looking at the manual for the C34D it would appear that Arturo has assumed the same default assignment,
ie DO5.

DO1 is P2.18, DO2 is p2.19 etc thru DO5 is P2.22 and one outlier, DO6  is P2.37 per page 7-8 of the manual.

You need to alter the parameter P2.22 to a value which results in it being an Alarm output, ie value 0x07 per page 7-103 of the manual. Note that the third hexadecimal digit may either be a '1' or
a '0', which in turn determines whether the output is active high or active low. Thus the two choices you have for the value of P2.22 is 0x107 or 0x007.

Craig
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2022, 12:31:28 AM »
OMG.
I did connect to usb delta cable and I tried to tune it. Maybe I did not tune it well, I am not sure.
But I changed p2 22 to 107 and it does not give me error anymore
After almost a month of searching ......

Is there any good tutorial on how to tune the servo?

I have to thank you very much for your help, you were very helpful and I learned alot from you.
I need to spend some time now with tuning motors and make my machine work smoothly and precisely :)
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2022, 12:55:39 AM »
Hi,
servo tuning is a whole other subject altogether. Unless the inertia ratio is really high, say 15 or higher just use Auto-Tune.
Watch the videos an understand it before you attempt it, but Auto-Tune does as well as any.

Craig
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2022, 01:18:05 AM »
Hmm, thats what I did, I did auto tuning
Thank you vey much again