Hello Guest it is April 28, 2024, 10:15:53 PM

Author Topic: 4612 Build  (Read 14189 times)

Re: 4612 Build
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2021, 05:02:19 AM »
Just one other thing... Am I alone in hating the new multiple line MDI? Losing the simple functionality of the one line MDI we had in Mach3 drove me nuts, so with a little help from Daz the Gas I've got that back on my Mach4 screen. I never use the other one. If I've got something that needs a few lines, I use a trivial program I call 'A temporary program' and edit that to what I need. If it's useful for other things, I save it a something else. I really don't see the point in this MDI as it is, it's a step backwards in my opinion. I use the single line MDI every single time I run the machine. I have no idea why this was dropped.

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2021, 06:10:13 AM »
sorry but I like the multiple lines in MDI window
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2021, 06:26:44 AM »
An update on the single stepping issue. I've experimented with this and I think it's associated with the backlash compensation.
Please can someone try this...
1) Use the default profie and add backlash compensation of say 0.01mm and enable it in the ESS.
2) Make sure it's using Metric mode
3) Write the following program...
G01 X0.06 F100
G01 X-0.06
M5M30
4) Now enable the drive and clear the X DRO
5) Single step this repeatedly and watch what happens to the DRO and also which lines are highlighted.

Hopefully this will show the same bizarre behaviour I'm seeing. The wrong block is displayed most of the time, and the DRO changes to seemingly random values in some of the steps.

If you're not seeing this, then try it with my attached screen set. Something really screwy is going on.
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2021, 06:31:36 AM »
sorry but I like the multiple lines in MDI window
Fair enough, it's just not as direct as the Mach3 one where you can just type what you like and get an instant response when you hit enter. That's much more useufl in my opinion than the way it works in the new version. This is how I use it all the time. How do you use it?

Offline smurph

•  1,546 1,546
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2021, 03:11:37 AM »
Well, all I can say on the multi-line MDI is that was on the wish list from Mach3.  We took all of the Mach 3 "wishes" and put them into Mach 4.  Well, as many as we could.  So what does that say?  Not everyone likes the same thing!  LOL  What a shocker.  Anyway, to most VERY cool thing about Mach 4 is you can make it work any way you wan it to.

Steve
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2021, 04:21:11 AM »
Well, all I can say on the multi-line MDI is that was on the wish list from Mach3.  We took all of the Mach 3 "wishes" and put them into Mach 4.  Well, as many as we could.  So what does that say?  Not everyone likes the same thing!  LOL  What a shocker.  Anyway, to most VERY cool thing about Mach 4 is you can make it work any way you wan it to.

Steve
The problem with the multi line MDI is that it removes two key elements of the funtionality of the single line MDI, those being the immediate one time response to a command when you hit Return, and the clearing of the input ready for the next one. Doubtless some find a multi line MDI useful, I've left it in my screen set, but I've never had occasion to use it.
I use the single line MDI all the time. M3S500<cr>, to run up the spindle, S1000<cr> to change it. X-50<cr> to move the table. It's just so convenient. I imagine there are loads of users who've never had that convenience, so they don't know what they're missing.

Indeed, the best thing about MACH4 is that you can change it, and that's a game changer because it was so hard to do in MACH3.
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2021, 09:06:37 AM »
Going from Mach3 to Mach4, the multi line MDI is awesome!  I understand where you're coming from for convivence; but that's about it, a simple convenience.  That IMHO doesn't outweigh the fact that I can now go to the machine and set a quick multi line MDI command and run a small job or have a small fix without having to go into CAM or the Turning Wizards if I'm on the lathe.    But I do feel like this is getting off the main topic of the thread.  Build 4612. 
Chad Byrd
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2021, 09:14:06 AM »
Going from Mach3 to Mach4, the multi line MDI is awesome!  I understand where you're coming from for convivence; but that's about it, a simple convenience.  That IMHO doesn't outweigh the fact that I can now go to the machine and set a quick multi line MDI command and run a small job or have a small fix without having to go into CAM or the Turning Wizards if I'm on the lathe.    But I do feel like this is getting off the main topic of the thread.  Build 4612. 
You can have both, you don't have to do without the old one. It would have been far better to have added a multi line one and left the old one since it was so useful. It takes very little room on the screen. Alternatively, the multi line one could just have a radio button that switches the functionality from single to multi line. Either would be better than what the default is now.
I don't know why you would use CAM or Turning Wizards when you can just type a few lines of G-code in a .nc temporary file. That's basically all you're doing when you use the multiple line MDI.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 09:17:01 AM by striplar »
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »
Love the multi-mdi!  Don't have to:
Load file
edit file
save
close
edit file
save
close
edit file
save
close

Like you said, you can have both!
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2021, 11:46:22 AM »
Love the multi-mdi!  Don't have to:
Load file
edit file
save
close
edit file
save
close
edit file
save
close

Like you said, you can have both!
That's a bizarre assessment of what I do. I load my Temp.nc,  do the changes and exit. Job done. Run it as a normal program. If I think it might be useful, save it as something else.
As I said, I have the multi line MDI as well as my single line MDI, and I never use it. Why, because it's no easier or more convenient than using a temporary file which allows me to use the full suite of editing facilities.
I'm not against the idea of an MDI being able to use multiple lines, but on it's own, it's not convenient for all the single line commands.

Having to select the tab, clear any previous command then click the Cycle Start is not as convenient as typing on a line that's always available and then hitting Return. That's a fact, whether you like it or not, and this is what I bet you do more than anything else with the MDI