Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:57:38 AM

Author Topic: Looking for good DIY controller kit supplier  (Read 17068 times)

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for good DIY controller kit supplier
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2020, 07:17:39 AM »
Your motor wire are correct.
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2020, 05:31:10 AM »
Mounted BOB and TB600s (that sounds sadistic) and wired them to each other. There was no bloodshed.  :o
Tomorrow I'll make mounting brackets for the 24V power source I received today and if poss also wire it to the BOB and TB6600s.
Must also make a housing for BOB, thought of a plastic food container just large enough to fit it. Screw the lid to the board, fasten the BOB on the lid and place the box over the top. I'll put some slits in the box for airflow.

There are E Stops between P10 and ground in the Limit Switch array, as well as between the Geecreit and the mains. Will I fit them both or will the 240V one suffice?

I'm still waiting on the motor cable - covid speed.

Hope you and all keep well.

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2020, 08:01:01 AM »
One E-STOP contact in the mains line to the 24V power supply will do. P10 should be wired to ground which will tell MACH3 everything is OK. When the E-STOP switch interrupts the 24V the BOB will not be able to send ON signals from the inputs to the parallel port.
Rather than just a housing for the BOB can you box for all the components? Either make something or use a large storage bin. Then add large screened holes to the top and bottom.

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2020, 11:53:07 AM »
Start up notes:
Before applying power double check the wiring, especially the power and ground. A mistake with those can damage your equipment. Mixed up signal wiring will keep the system from operating correctly but is less likely to damage anything.

Set up MACH according to the ST-V2 instruction.
Note: The wiring diagram connects the breakout board and stepper drivers as common anode.

Disconnect the 24V from the TB6600s. Disconnect the 5V wire from the 5V supply to the BOB.
Power on the system and check that the wire from the 5V supply measures +5V to the BOB PC GND.
Turn off power and connect the 5V supply.
Turn on power and use the MACH3 diagnostics to verify the limit switches work. The E-STOP input should trip when the E-STOP switch is pushed. Power off when done testing.

Connect the 24V to one TB6600. Set its switches to
Microstep = 1     S1 = on, S2 = on, S3 = off
Current = 1.5      S4 = on, S5 = on, S6 = off
Power on and immediately measure the voltage on the motor windings.
One winding will have 4.5 volts from the - to the  + terminal. The meter may show either polarity. (4.5V = 1.5A times 3 ohms, the total winding resistance.)
This test shows the switches are set correctly. It’s sometimes hard to be sure which switch position is off or on.

Turn power off and connect the 24V to the other TB6600s. Set the switches as shown on the wiring diagram.
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2020, 08:21:47 PM »
Still waiting on the stepper cables, everything else installed, wired up and tested. All voltages as per expectations, nil flame and nil smoke.

I set the microstep switches and tested B-B+ and A-A+ voltage as 23.8 V. I do not know how that translates once the  steppers are connected.

The computer has not been attached to the BOB as yet;
Question: should I at this stage, or wait till the steppers are attached.

I have set the Mach3 values as per the BOB User Manual.
Question: As I do not have spindle control, should I 'Disable Spindle Relays' under 'Config' - 'Ports and Pins' - 'Spindle Setup'?

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2020, 09:18:13 PM »
You may connect the computer, the limits switches can be checked with the MACH3 diagnostic screen.
In fact you can run commands with the MDI or even  G code. It's an open loop system so it won't miss the steppers.

The PUL signals should read 0 volts from their plus to minus terminals when there is no motion. It might be easier to get the meter probes on at the BOB terminals, That would be from the PC +5V to the PUL output for each drive.

The DIR signals can be checked too, they change with the direction the steppers are told to move.

You don't need the spindle but if you enable it you should see the LED on the BOB light and hear the relay click. Then you'll know it's ready if you ever want it.

The full 24 volts on the motor terminals is expected when nothing is connected. When the motor is connected the voltage will be the current times the resistance. 1.5A times 3 ohms = 4.5V This is assuming you have set x1 microstepping. At others setting the current changes with the position.

I don't see E-STOP wiring in the photo, I assume that's coming or somewhere out of view. Turning off the 24V should signal E-STOP to the PC, one more thing you can check now.
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2020, 10:08:16 PM »
I'll do all that and follow your leads

The E Stop is wired under the board, between the board and the plastic container floor - pic attached
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2020, 05:06:05 AM »
Connected all components, finalised Ports and Pins setup and looked at the following:

Voltages across Pul+ and Pul-, and Dir+ and Dir- are 4.7 V on average. So does the system senses that there is motion? An incorrect setting or something?

In Mach3 Diagnostics 'Time in int' under the 'Jog On/Off' button rolls from 5.2 to 7.8. I do not yet know what that means.

The Z limit switch inputs do not register; will have to examine the connections from switches to BOB.     
X and Y register as expected

X cable still in transit.

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2020, 08:39:42 AM »
We wired the TB6600 as the ST-V2 pdf showed, that's common anode wiring. Did you check the boxes for Dir Low Active and Step Low Active as shown in the Motor Outputs diagram?

Did you try to change the DIR signal by using the MDI or JOG to run the motor in both directions?
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2020, 09:43:08 PM »
Yes, all boxes ticked for common anode under 'Motor Outputs'

Jog signals functional by hot keys and onscreen jog device. Have not yet tried MDI but will.

My shed's power has shorted after 3 days of constant rain finding its way through a leak in the shed's tin roof and into the wiring. So no electricity being used there at the moment and the project is at standstill for as long as it takes to safely turn the power on again. Then fix the leak.