Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:55:05 AM

Author Topic: Looking for good DIY controller kit supplier  (Read 17066 times)

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for good DIY controller kit supplier
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 02:27:48 PM »
if i follow the wirring diagram it is a 6 wire Motor, witch is also quite normal for a unipolar Motor.

anyhow there is no current protection in this circuit diagram, so if the Motor resistance (sorry dont know the right english word) is somehow shortend it will burn the TIP120.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:30:59 PM by TPS »
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 06:49:54 PM »
Yes TPS, I'll have to learn to count, it is a 6 wire motor. My friend will be here sunday or monday to compare X stepper versus Y and Z stepper resistances. We live quite remotely here so have to travel quite some distance to meet. I've attached a jpg of the power supply to the circuit, that might show if it has surge protection. We certainly have power surges in this area. There is a trip button on that box that seems to pop out fairly often, so that could be it. I will also install a Power Shield between the CNC and 240V power point to prevent surging.
I have connected all 3 motors to the Y and Z channels and they behave very well but all three motors behave badly on the X channel.
By the way, the circuit board has an A axis channel; could I use it to drive the X axis motor?
I will install TIP122 transistors from now on, thanks for the colour coding info as well MN300.
Will be back once the motor resistances have been tested.

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 08:29:01 PM »
When I read your earlier post about having 5 motor wires I assumed the last wire was white and brown. If there are really 6 wires then 'color code 1' under '6 lead wires' would seem to apply.
https://lin-web.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/products/hybrid-stepper-motors/Lin%20Engineering%20Catalog%202020.pdf

You asked if the A axis channel could be used with the X axis motor. They seem to be identical so if you can setup the software to address it that should work. Remember to transfer the encoder wiring. Note that the diagram shows that unused encoder inputs should be grounded.

As a last resort you could try swapping encoders between axes. This may entail some risk of damage or incorrect installation so I hesitate to suggest it.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 10:52:41 PM »
This motor was made by Lin Engineering for MaxNC who went out of business some 10 years ago. I've questioned the brown wire with Dave from Lin Eng; as far as he knows it should be the colour code 1 for unipolar motors, but that has a yellow and not a brown wire. The question now is whether or not the colour configuration has been changed by MaxNC, and should that matter.
I'll try the A axis channel for the X axis motor once they have been tested for resistances. Earthing the appropriate X axis Encoder pins is as easy as changing an appropriately wired plug supplied by MaxNC  from the A Encoder connection to that of the X Encoder. So I'll plug the X motor into the A motor channel and the X Encoder into the A Encoder Channel .... that would work, wouldn't it. Would I then swap the X axis info and the A axis info in Mach3 Config motor Outputs and Input Signals, and would I need to change other setting in Mach3?

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2020, 06:34:36 AM »
You can swap X and A axis

now you should have in Config -> Ports&Pins -Motor Outputs

X-Axis should use PIN 6 and 7
A-Axis should use PIN 2 and 3 if it is enabled

use PIN 2 and 3 for X and disable A
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »
Thanks TPS, yes, those are the values in 'Motor Outputs' and I will make the changes.
Please confirm though; no changes at all to 'Config - Ports and Pins - Input Signals' and 'Config - Ports and Pins - Output Signals'?
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 04:57:26 PM »
Also, which of the 6 wires would be the centre tap

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »
If 'Color code 1' in the table mentioned earlier is correct white and yellow are the center taps of the two windings. They should both be connected to a terminal on the board motor connector.
In a 5 wire motor they would have been connected internally to one wire leading out of the motor.
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »
Thanks MN300, but the colour code is not exact as there is no yellow but a brown wire. Looking at TPS' highlighted pic of the X Motor contact (Nov 19), 1=Blue, 2=Green, 3=Red, 4=Black, 5=White and 6=Brown=Earth.
Considering the above, which would be the centre taps or, how to determine them.

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 06:28:19 PM »
The terminal with the number 5 in TPS's drawing is the center tap.
As I mentioned earlier you can determine the center tap with an ohmmeter, it's the one wire that measures the same resistance to the others.

The brown earthing wire is not counted when determining if it's a 5 wire and 6 wire motor.
I can't find a Lin Engineering diagram for a 5 wire motor. Is there a chance two wires are connected together somewhere between the motor and the board connector?