Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:49:12 AM

Author Topic: A Long Sad Story  (Read 21553 times)

Re: A Long Sad Story
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 07:31:38 PM »
i add another vote for turbocad.... got my version off ebay turbocad deluxe 11,  for $14 ...........works fine with lazycam, only thing is i need to explode the curves to make it work. it will allow you to do the curves you need, just take some measurements off a template and mark those points , then bring your curves thru those points.
when your all done save the dxf then explode the drawwing a few times and save the result, that way if you make a mistake you can go back.
dan

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 08:36:08 AM »
Here's a good link to some free CAD software.

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm

Alibre express is very good and it really is free, I found it very easy to learn but you do still need experiance with CAD systems and the basic operations.

Steve
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 01:19:32 AM »
I downloaded vextraqctor today and also the easycam programs. I did manage to get the vextractor to do an outline of this attached *.jpg file, but when I did a simulationrun it didnt turn out anythng like what the picture file does. This is a simple lightning bolt, which is part of my logo. I have attached the tap file as well if any of you want to try it out.  What am I doing wrong?

Hodges how long is the lbolt from end to end?  I used Rhino v4 to trace your jpg and it took me a total of 10 minutes. It would need a little tweaking for use but I believe it could be done in 15 minutes. Something lots of people forget is that Rhino has a totally free download, though you are limited to 20-30 saves.

Now to the originator of this thread. There are tons of cheap cad and cam out there and I will post a few links if you want. I will have to go copy them, but it's no biggie! Let me know.

Mike

Offline Hodges

•  18 18
  • Freeing trees from silence
    • View Profile
    • Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 01:27:01 AM »
I really want the lightning bolt to end up about 2" long. I have tried storing it in inch form and then transfer that to MM form, but that doesnt work either.

I'll have to try out rhino. seems like I might have already downloaded that program already, so it should be easy enough to figure out.
Thanks!
Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
http://www.hodgesguitars.com
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 01:30:39 AM »
Hodges what file extension do you want? Also what radius do you want for the pointed areas of the bolt? Do you know what size bit you will cut this with?

Mike
ps I'll post you a file shortly, or not so shortly depending on how sleepy I get! ;D

Offline Hodges

•  18 18
  • Freeing trees from silence
    • View Profile
    • Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 06:56:38 AM »
the file extension doesnt matter... one that is compatible with Mach3. As far as the radius make it 1/16" because I will be using that size bit to route the wood.

Thanks!
Ken
Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
http://www.hodgesguitars.com
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 08:58:27 AM »
Hey Hodges,

Good morning. Well we have a problem with your design and using a .0625" bit. Traced in Rhino, and then scaled to 2" overall length most of the radii were either .004 or .005"! That would make the bit size needed a .010" ! I started rebuilding the lbolt to use a .020" bit, but it does change the look of it some. To get the same "look" using a bit of .0625" will require an overall length of about 12", assuming you wan to keep the scale the same.

I have a sick grandson here with me for a while this morning and I don't know whether he will let me work on the pc or not. I am for now........

Mike
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 12:53:15 PM »
Hodges here is the dxf file. It is saved as an Acad 2000 dxf. I had to redo it three different times to get it so the cutter could cul everything. It is drawn for use with a .020" diam cutter. Maybe this will help enough to let you see if this is gonna work for you.

Mike
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 08:33:32 PM »
Hi Guys:
Thanks again for all of the help you have given with my original post, I am making huge amounts of progress and will soon be cutting usable parts.  I have downloaded a copy of Cam Bam and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this software, if I should spend the time to learn how to use it or if it is too much a Beta project to try to use.  Also I have been following the discussion about Hodges’ lightening bolt logo and I am rather confused about one part.  It seems that in order to cut it he is going to have to use a cutter with a diameter .0625” I was wondering where one would get that small of a bit.  The smallest that I can find is 1/16” .  As I intend to cut inlays as well I will need to get some of these really small bits.

Thanks again, this is starting to be fun again.

Bill Green
Mountain Craft Stringed Instruments

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 09:33:12 PM »
Bill, look in the links, tabs just above the video control panel. Look in tooling. You can find the tiny bits there.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!