Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:06:34 PM

Author Topic: A Long Sad Story  (Read 21547 times)

Offline Hodges

•  18 18
  • Freeing trees from silence
    • View Profile
    • Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
Re: A Long Sad Story
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 11:00:35 PM »
I downloaded vextraqctor today and also the easycam programs. I did manage to get the vextractor to do an outline of this attached *.jpg file, but when I did a simulationrun it didnt turn out anythng like what the picture file does. This is a simple lightning bolt, which is part of my logo. I have attached the tap file as well if any of you want to try it out.  What am I doing wrong?

Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
http://www.hodgesguitars.com
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 12:21:27 AM »
Without watching what/how you did what you did it's heard to say.  Here is a Lbolt.tap file that I created using trace art and L-cam.  Granted the end result isn't fantastic but, frankly the .jpg you posted was a pretty dirty image file so I can't say I'm that surprised. If you look closely at your .jpg and the tool path in Mach I think it's pretty close.

Sid

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 10:29:02 AM »
Hodges

if you did not register the vextra there is a lot of the vector tools that do not work right.it is hard to clean up the
      scanned image.but you can do this and it works pretty good.after you scan then you hit the one touch vector and
      you will get some sub menus select one bit black and white then proced.after the cleaning do not try to finish the
      file as a vector file.save the file as a raster bmp.open the bmp with windows paint editor and finish cleaning it up.
      every black dot that you see will be turned into a chain when you convert it to dxf.after you clean the file and save
      it.run it through the acme convertor and turn it to dxf.then load it in lazycam.

bill
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »
Its not that hard to generate code for your flat pieces, it would be easiest to get some graph paper and draw your plan then use the graph to plot your codes. All can be done in mach and it is not that hard to learn how to put simple code together. start by using the wizards then disect the code till you go AH HAA ha ha ha ! You went this far and it had to be somewhat of a successful journey, but your only part way there. Now pick up and continue on !
CRUISER
  Don

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 02:11:22 PM »
There is another way. There is quality cad programs for very good prices. IMSI has a product called TURBOCAD, and you can use the basic version, no need for the proffesional version. You'd most propably be able to get a package at less than a $100. With this cad package, you can do amazing stuff. In your case, scanned image saved as jpg or bmp or a lot of other formats. Import the pic in TURBOCAD and trace the image in the default layer with a polyline. Make sure the polyline is "closed" at the end of the trace, and shazzam, export the dxf.

Whacko for TURBOCAD
Nothing's impossible

Offline klmark

•  107 107
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 02:23:11 PM »
 ::) Even better solid edge has a FREE 2D that works also
   klmark

Offline Hodges

•  18 18
  • Freeing trees from silence
    • View Profile
    • Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 10:54:29 PM »
Once again I want to thank all of you for the good advice and help in getting the mill working for my needs. I have downloaded several programs and I am trying each one out to see which is the easiest to understand and the best to do what I need to do.

It is going to take several days to explore all that I have to go on.

Thanks again!
Ken
Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
http://www.hodgesguitars.com
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 01:26:30 AM »
I gotta say, this story just isn't complete until we get the obligatory... "And they lived happily ever after"

I hope that part is coming soon!   ;)

Sid

Offline Whacko

•  239 239
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 01:42:18 PM »
::) Even better solid edge has a FREE 2D that works also
 klmark

Post a link please

Whacko
Nothing's impossible

Offline klmark

•  107 107
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
Hi Guys
Here is the link for the FREE 2D software 
                        http://www.ugs.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/index.shtml

klmark