Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:08:19 AM

Author Topic: SSR Relay Forward Reverse Help  (Read 7414 times)

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
Re: SSR Relay Forward Reverse Help
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 12:39:06 PM »
Thanks that looks easy enough..

I have been rummaging around in so box's and found 4 SSR relays 2 are 3-32v and dc output 5-220vdc
and 2 are 3-32v and Ac output 24-380v...

any way to use these?..

Thanks gary

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 01:25:43 PM »
The 3-32VDV in, 24-380VAC out SSR can replace the SSR relay on my list.

You should allow the motor to stop before changing direction with the relay. A spinning DC motor generates voltage.
The operating time of the relay is probably about 10 milliseconds. To be safe allow 20 mSec between changing it and enabling the drive.

There is a note in the KB drive manual warning that a shorted output transistor will cause the motor to run at full voltage. Your E-Stop should kill ac power to the drive.
It's a good idea to kill the power to anything hazardous (or expensive) with the E-Stop.

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »
One thing this stup turns on the reverse relay... for the dc motors

one thing I was doing is using a relay to turn on the 120v to the kb controller with m3
from the looks of the diagram I would need another relay to power the controller, sould I use one for each m3 and  m4 ?. m4 would also have to switch on the reverse relays...

Gary

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 06:05:32 PM »
If you need more relays we should do things a bit differently. There are many relay boards advertised as Arduino or Raspberry Pi compatible that will add relays to your setup.  Below is a link to 4 relay board from the same supplier I mentioned before. You can usually get the same or similar products from China via eBay for less money but the delay is much longer.

This board may take more 5 volt power than your system can spare. A separate 5 volts supply would be the safe way to go if you can't verify the current supply can handle the extra load.
A spare 5V USB charger will do as only about 250mA is required. You may have one lying around unused.

Hookup is fairly easy but you would need to be able to use a voltmeter to make sure to get the polarity correct. If you think you have the skill to do this I can make a wiring diagram.
One of the 4 relays could replace the SSR relay for reversing, the others can be used to enable the drive and other things you may think of later.

https://www.mpja.com/Quad-Channel-SPDT-Relay-Board-Isolated-5V/productinfo/35685+MP

https://www.mpja.com/5-Volt-DC-Plug-Power-Supply-4A-Regulated/productinfo/18520+PS/

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 09:17:34 PM »
I was using one of the eight board relays for Arduino worked ok with ESS smoothstepper..

But not so good with the pokeys57cnc the relay board must trigger with low voltage applied, when I hooked it up to pokeys it triggers the relay instance and can't shut it down..
I tested a couple pins on the pokeys and there was 1.6v all the time, when I triggered the pin it did go up to just under 5v.
but so for some reason 1.6v was enough to trigger the relays..

if I use the relays on the pokeys I can run 5v when closed thought them and that works...
it also has two SSR outputs but even with them there's  a 1.6v output  not triggered so they triggered the Arduino relays when turned on..

Gary

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 10:01:02 PM »
Exactly which pins had 1.6 V and was anything connected to them when you made that measurement?
Can you supply information about the relay board, model number etc, that could led me to its wiring diagram?

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »
The relay board is a hivitronix 8 relays..

I was pulling the pins from the LCD connector on the pokeys pin 28 forget now if the other wire was to gnd or +5 when testing and yes I had it wired to the relays that's how I knew it was being turned on as soon as I applied power to the pokeys and had 1.6volts, like I said it did go to +5 volts when I triggered the pin 28..
and received the same results from the SSR output's on the pokeys.

Gary

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 05:55:28 PM »
The voltage readings don't make sense. If you used SSR1 or SSR2 the worst you should have had was 0 volts one way and a voltage between 0 and 5V the other way. I suspect something was miswired.

How did you connect the ground of the Pokeys to the relay board, which terminals?
What did you use to supply the 5V power to the relay board?
The relays on that board draw about 80mA each. If you get it working you'll need 8 X 80 = 640mA to run all relays.

I could not find much on your relay board, is it the one pictured in this link?
If so, what are the numbers on the IC near the input terminals?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273842180913

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 03:48:31 PM »
Yes your right,

I took a break, now I am getting the correct voltage from the SSR and the on board relays.
The Arduino relay's are working correct with both SSR onboard and on board relays... so I have 4 outputs working...

Yes that's picture is close to the board I have, mine has 2 screw terms 1 for vcc input voltage also a barrel connector for input voltage
and a 2 screw term I assume for output voltage...

I thing I can't seem to do is get any of the pins I try to use on the pokeys to work other than the relays, I tried the LCD connector and a couple others but when I set the pins I get no change to voltage.

I did get the LCD to change, but the problem was when I connected it to the relay SSR or Arduino it would read unconnected 4v connected 0
almost like it couldn't hold voltage when the relay was connected..

Gary

Offline MN300

•  298 298
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »
The Arduino relay's are working correct

By Arduino relays  do you mean the relay board?

I did get the LCD to change, but the problem was when I connected it to the relay SSR or Arduino it would read unconnected 4v connected 0
almost like it couldn't hold voltage when the relay was connected..

I don't understand what you were connecting to the LDC output. Was either an input on the relay board or the solid state relay module?

If you can make an LCD output switch from 0 to 5V it should be able to drive the relay board input.

If you connect 5V power to the relay board do the inputs measure 5V?