Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:27:25 AM

Author Topic: Mill or Turn?  (Read 26117 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mill or Turn?
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2019, 03:27:53 PM »

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kla1sZ8IF6k

Thanks Hood,

So you have no "master" tool?

I'll test this tomorrow hopefully but does this work when the numbers are oddly large?....

I see your lathe homes pretty close to the work area, my mill homes bottom left so my "lathe" Z area will be about 300mm plus from home zero.

Its hard to figure without doing it but all offsets are relative to each other? You can touch off with any tool?

Provided of course the tool number is called first I guess?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
The home position is the "master tool" all tools are offset from there so it means you can replace any tool and reset the tool offsets for it and not have to worry about it messing with any other tool. As all tools are set to their respective diameters from the home position you do not usually need to alter the X value for your G54 (or other) offset. The Z G54 will need to be set for every different part you do but that is easy enough as you just call any tool you like, move it to the end of the stock and then zero the Z work offset. Doing that will mean every other tool will also now have their Z Zero work offset position as zero when they are touching the end of the material.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2019, 05:00:03 PM »
The home position is the "master tool" all tools are offset from there so it means you can replace any tool and reset the tool offsets for it and not have to worry about it messing with any other tool. As all tools are set to their respective diameters from the home position you do not usually need to alter the X value for your G54 (or other) offset. The Z G54 will need to be set for every different part you do but that is easy enough as you just call any tool you like, move it to the end of the stock and then zero the Z work offset. Doing that will mean every other tool will also now have their Z Zero work offset position as zero when they are touching the end of the material.

Sounds excellent, will play with this.

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
I see your lathe homes pretty close to the work area, my mill homes bottom left so my "lathe" Z area will be about 300mm plus from home zero.

Oh and that lathe was just a wee lathe I got to test out the IP-S when I first got one. I no longer have the lathe, I took the  IP-S off it and put it on the plasma and gave the lathe to a friends son.
My real lathe is a wee bit bigger and probably has home positions similar to where they will be on the Bridgeport, the travel on it is approx 1000mm for Z and 420mm for X but I home approx midway on both axes.

Until recently I had the ESS on it but  I have just put an SZGH control on it.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2019, 03:07:04 AM »
Nice, is that controller self-contained so no pc to fail etc??

Could it replace Mach3 when you have trickery going on with tool length being passed to a knee axis or is that stuff still the sole domain of Mach??

Hows the plasma running ?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2019, 07:38:23 AM »

It works, I couldn't figure it out but once you try it, it makes sense, thanks Hood.

Next - my servo spindle drive seems odd.

At up to 2990 rpm in CS-Labs Pid tuning, it runs nicely with a low following error, about 1500 IIRC, at full speed of 3000 rpm I see a runaway following error - just carries on rising and would eventually trip an e-Pid fault on max following error i guess.

Its not serious, its only 10rpm lost but seems odd??

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2019, 07:53:45 AM »
FWIW,
I also do similar to Hood's reply #112, but, no switches used here, so home and any work offsets are
set manualy.
By similar I am meaning, all tools have the same base location from which they move to touch off.
Tool offsets are probed instead of touching off or machining, taking a measurements and inputing info.
Probing makes populating the tool table quick, accurate, repeatable, and somewhat automated. BUT,
a tool setup page to accomplish the above was done.
Once a tool table is populated all tools relate to the master tool ( could be an actual master tool or
a common base location) and all tools relate to each other. Thus you can use any tool to touch off
to the work or setup to replace a tool.

Have fun.......,
RICH
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2019, 08:02:19 AM »

I have just put an SZGH control on it.
Nice, is that controller self-contained so no pc to fail etc??
Curious too Dave! Didn't see it clearly explained on their site.
Thanks Hood,
Russ

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2019, 08:18:56 AM »

It works, I couldn't figure it out but once you try it, it makes sense, thanks Hood.

Next - my servo spindle drive seems odd.

At up to 2990 rpm in CS-Labs Pid tuning, it runs nicely with a low following error, about 1500 IIRC, at full speed of 3000 rpm I see a runaway following error - just carries on rising and would eventually trip an e-Pid fault on max following error i guess.

Its not serious, its only 10rpm lost but seems odd??

sounds like you have reached the 10V at 2990rpm.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.