Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:36:02 PM

Author Topic: Mill or Turn?  (Read 26349 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Mill or Turn?
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2019, 06:39:51 AM »
Thanks Hood,

You can see it will form a groove even when air-cutting, i did find a few threads on the Autodesk forum about this and the result was to turn a relief groove, i used to to this anyway when thread cutting on the manual lathe so i guess it will work.

The delay could well be why the fade/chamfer fails.

I keep looking at other controls, even the CSL SimCNC but nothing has the stuff i like to play with like Mach3 does :( I want to customise my screens, have things like tool length comp taken to the knee, easy tool-change macros, macro code that speaks my language (vb) ;) and so many more. I'm just a Mach3 dinosaur i guess.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2019, 06:40:52 AM »
Here is a vid of the way the CSMIO/Mach3 normally work. I am altering the spindle override in the vid to show how the CSMIO can track but it does show the slow retract well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKp343Ubf7U

Here is one of it working properly which I thought was a new plugin but in the end I discovered it was because I had used an old version of Mach, 022 if I recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c1sndp-554

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2019, 06:47:43 AM »
Mach3 has a lot to offer but  it has its down sides as well. Mach4 looked to be like it was going to be great, it probably will be and maybe even is, as I haven't tried it for years. The downside for me was that I would have to learn Lua and I wasn't willing to do that as I had enough trouble with learning VB.
I will at some point try out SimCNC on the Chiron but again that will mean learning a new language so it may not progress very far.

The SZGH on the lathe seems to be working well for me so far and I have been able to do all I want with ease and the programming language seems to be a kind of home brew but is very simple which suits me :D

One thing I really like with the SZGH is I can press Hold and it is instant, I can change screens, look at parameters or whatever while it is running and there are no issues.

As said it is not as adaptable as Mach3 but no way I would go back now on the Lathe, mill is a different thing and I am quite happy with the CSMIO and Mach on the Chiron but the instant feedhold and overrides would be nice :D

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2019, 06:52:57 AM »
Same sort of reasons here, i like VB.

My main issue i think is that my mill is tweaked to hell and back plus now it's a lathe as well - i can't see a commercial controller hacking that somehow :)

Its a pity dev was stopped on Mach3, i can fully understand why but Mach4 is still way behind. SimCNC is promising but getting info on customising from CSL is slow to negligible. I do have the test license from them and i have it installed on my laptop but thats as far as i got because there was no way to get my tool-comp setup to run on it, maybe it has now, will have another look some time.

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2019, 07:21:12 AM »
Hi Dave,

i can fully understand why but Mach4 is still way behind

Have you tried it recently? By my estimate its Mach3 which is behind.

I suspect you would be very disappointed with CSMIO Mach4 plugin though.....its pretty damn buggy and CSLabs have
done nothing about it for months and months.

Craig

'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2019, 07:28:05 AM »
I will admit to not having looked lately.

I have read plenty about the buggy CSL plugin, I have a feeling this is caused by them shifting all their staff over to developing SimCNC maybe?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2019, 08:35:54 AM »
I think the chamfer in Mach is degrees

That is correct Hood  ( G76  MACH 3 threading cycle  it's the "L" value ).
The ā€œLā€ retract or chamfer angle is in "angle of revolution".....or a "rotational angle".
and not an actually a chamfer. L90 would retract over 1/4 of a revolution, L360 would
be  1 rev, 720, two revs and so on. Don't think you will  find that info in any of the code descriptions.
In the threading wizard the defined length "includes" the the distance of the L retract distance.
I don't know if the retract distance is included in G76, but you posted that it is not in reply #49.
Too busy / lazy to check it all out.

I have not used Fusion 360 for some time thus do not know what changes have been done.
I know that with the correct post processor it did generate correct G76 code for Mach3.

Just to avoid any confusion the above is for Mach# ver .062 and not using an external motion controller.

Most of the times for threading I use G32 output since one can monitor and pinpoint problems in
threading. The code is generated using wizards and they work great.

BTW,
How the end of the threading pass is done can vary depending on what is required as you said.
From an engineering point of view the end condition infuences a stress intensification factor which
could could reduce the loading of the thread. FWIW ;)

RICH

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »
Interesting, thanks.

I did try the "Cycle" option in Fusion, its supposed to output G76 canned cycle thread code, however the post processor fails and says its not supported and to use the G32 option :)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2019, 09:08:58 AM »
Dave,
Fanuc, Mach3, Mach4, etc all have Gcode  but individual dialects so to say. So threading cycles can vary in
G# and function. KISS is becoming more important as time moves on for me.

Mach4 / Mach3 ........ Like you,  I am also dated since  Lua is a place to drink, eat, and be happy.  No pun intended Graig.  :D

RICH

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2019, 01:35:09 PM »
I just got a reply on Autodesk support, it seems there is a problem with the post processor i attached to my query.

Is there a recommended one for Fusion and Mach3 Turn??