Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:00:03 PM

Author Topic: Mill or Turn?  (Read 26085 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mill or Turn?
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2019, 04:48:13 AM »
It will likely be in inch when you first open but you just plug in your relevant metric numbers. Now the soft limits could be due to the fact that the wizard sends the axes to the tool change position you have chosen as a G53 which to me is a pain and I changed the code in the wizard to a G54, so either edit your code to G54 or choose a G53 toolchange position within your limits.

Below is a screenshot of some settings you could try. Note that there are default values you will want to change as well, they are available when you press the Settings button, once you have changed them you are unlikely to need to change again.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2019, 05:02:34 AM »
Thanks for that, got some minor advance now.

I took out the tool change and the g53 line.

it failed first time on speed limit exceeded so i took it down to S500 instead  of S1000

Then it ran, it made one pass then instant e-stop as before.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2019, 05:09:44 AM »
Can't see how the threading code could cause a false E-Stop unless there is more vibration than normal that is activating a limit switch. Even then I would think the message would be limit rather than E-Stop. I personally would disable limits etc as a test but obviously that is not the best solution as you would then only have the Reset on screen to use in an emergency.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2019, 05:14:15 AM »
Doesn't appear to be a limit, no LEDS are shown in diagnostics etc, it just says e-stop pressed the install the second pass is called in either G32 or G76, even typing code manually in MDI has same effect - 1st pass perfect then as soon as 2nd pass is called - estop.

I have not got my servo spindle fitted yet - this is still running on the VFD spindle but it does have an encoder and will happily rigid-tap so i can't see why it won't thread cut.

Is it possible the machine is tuned too slowly? Again, I can't see why that would be an issue but?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2019, 05:28:22 AM »
Can't really see being tuned too slow would be the problem.
Not really got any idea of what to try unless hard wiring the E-Stop and changing to another input temporarily to see if the problem continues.

Not sure if the CSMIO log would give you any info or not.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2019, 05:29:53 AM »
Just had a play and it is speed related, both in G76 and G32.

If i slow down to S100 it worked perfectly all the way through in both styles.

Using the SPO knob i could wind it up to about 175 but any more and it failed with e-stop again.

It must be connected with one or more of my axis setups????

Speed or acceleration?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 06:06:38 AM »
Ok, seems its code related?

The setting in Fusion shown in the attache picture is the one, turned off I can run the code at up to 1100 rpm, with it turned on its 100rpm

After 1100rpm i get speed errors which i guess is understandable.

I have no idea why G76 failed though - no connection with this unless it too has a "fade at end" option ??

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 06:10:59 AM »
Not sure what "Fade thread end " means unless it is chamfer. Try setting the chamfer to 0 in Mach and see.
I would however think that would make things worse as it would mean instant pullout rather than a progressive one, having said that I think the chamfer in Mach is degrees so if that doesn't help by setting to zero try something like 720 and see.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2019, 06:15:57 AM »
From what i can see, its supposed to withdraw the tool at a taper as it finishes the pass, so its the stock end not the front.

Without it the spindle does a few turns before retracting the tool so i guess a groove will be cut at run-out?

Will keep playing but at least its progress.

If i had the last parts for my spindle build i could get it fitted :(

Thanks for the help as always.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2019, 06:30:55 AM »
That is what Chamfer is, the distance of the start of the retract at the end of each pass.

The CSMIO and Mach however have an issue when threading, the commands from Mach to CSMIO are delayed at the end of each pass and you end up with an annular groove. It is Mach that is the problem as I did extensive tests in the early days and eventually found an old version of Mach that behaved properly, sadly there were things missing from that version which were lathe specific which I wanted so I had to go back to a newer version. As it was only on the wee Conect 121 lathe that I had the CSMIO on it wasn't an issue as it was just used for messing around. It was however the reason why I never put the CSMIO on the Churchill lathe as often threads with an annular groove were not acceptable for me.

With the SZGH control I have just recently fitted the difference is night and day, everything with it is instant, it just lacks some of the adaptability that Mach can give you.