Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:24:25 AM

Author Topic: Mill or Turn?  (Read 26099 times)

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
Re: Mill or Turn?
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 07:37:07 PM »
And also to add, CSS does not work in Mach3.

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=25647.0
Myth BUSTED?

No, that proved it was not a myth and was indeed the case that CSS does not work in Mach 3. Spindle speed will vary at the correct rate/speed but the feed per rev does not stay constant. Mach basically changes to feed per minute when you start a CSS move and that only changes when you again command a different feedrate.
The macro attached at the end may work, can't recall if I tested it or not but Mach3 itself can not do true CSS.

So MACH4 turn (Hobby or just Industrial version ONLY?) has the G96 and G97 for Constant Surface Speed turning.
One more reason to go MACH4.
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 08:10:24 PM »
Hi,
Mach4Hobby has CSS.

I suspect though that it suffers from the same fault that Mach3 does.

Mach3, according to the thread Hood linked to, makes a pretty fair approximation to constant surface speed
but cannot do Feed per Rev accurately. As was pointed out for Feed per Rev to be accurate requires that the spindle
be synchronized with the X axis and that is incompatible with buffered control system.

Mach4, despite it differences, is still a buffered control system and therefore probably not capable of accurate Feed per Rev
for exactly the same reason as Mach3. I have not tested it an Mach4 nor does my setup allow for it to be tested. I would
caution that if you require accurate Feed per Rev then Mach4 warrants investigation.....

Accurate Feed per Rev can be obtained by a C axis as opposed to a free running spindle. This is certainly capable of being
done in Mach4 and I can't imagine any reason that it could not be done in Mach3 as well.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 10:49:34 PM »
Mach3 TURN does not even have G96 (CSS) and G97 (to turn off CSS and go back to speed per rev).

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 12:49:00 AM »
Ok, so i'll forget CSS completely.

Does Mach3 have an OB axis or is that solely Mach4?

I can't use SwapAxis because my main spindle is VFD and my turn spindle will be servo - the Mach manual states both axes must be similar in setup IIRC  Plus I don't believe SwapAxis works with CS-Labs controllers as they do not use ports and pins very much in  their setup.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 12:56:22 AM »
Hi,

Does Mach3 have an OB axis or is that solely Mach4?

To my knowledge it is Mach4 only.

My understanding is that CSLabs Mach4 plugin is a bit buggy and contrary to CSLabs previous reputation they are
very slack about improving the plugin.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 12:59:53 AM »
Ok, so sticking with Mach3 I am limited to a new setup using Mach Turn, no CSS and no milling?

It will still do what i want but i always like the bells and whistles :)

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 01:43:02 AM »
DazTheGas has a SOFTWARE (LUA SCRIPT) solution to "CSS  turning" on a MACH4 MILL profile

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=39086.msg263072#msg263072

Worth a look.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 02:04:45 AM »
EASE-eTURN screenset (EURO25) claims to support CSS using MACH3.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/ease-eturn-mach3-turn-screenset-328827/

Also worth a look.
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 05:19:46 AM »
If you want "basic turning" capability why not simply have a separate lathe profile for your milling machine, mounting the tool on the table and putting the work in the chuck?  "Turn" is based on "Mill" with the mill laid on its left side then on its back.  You could probably make your own screen.  This could be interesting: http://www.vinland.com/CNC-Mill-Lathe.html

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 08:23:24 AM »
If you want "basic turning" capability why not simply have a separate lathe profile for your milling machine, mounting the tool on the table and putting the work in the chuck?  "Turn" is based on "Mill" with the mill laid on its left side then on its back.  You could probably make your own screen.  This could be interesting: http://www.vinland.com/CNC-Mill-Lathe.html

I can't do mill spindle 'turning' as i need to pass 25mm bar through the spindle, mill spindles can't do that :)

I'll try a new mill profile, designate the mill X-axis as lathe Z-axis and the mill Z-axis as the lathe X-axis, spindle will be declared as a servo spindle drive is CS-Labs setup.

See how that goes......