Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:34:26 PM

Author Topic: XHC WB04 plugin  (Read 36936 times)

Re: XHC WB04 plugin
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2019, 12:19:49 AM »
I've now purchased a newer model of the device which will allow me to develop for it. You should see some progress within a month concerning the WHB04B version of the driver. Too bad XHC would not step up to the plate and supply either a driver, or a device so someone else can make a driver.
Any updates on the progress of the driver?
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2019, 12:36:30 PM »
I am going out on a limb here and say probably not.

I also tried with the Shaeto version (see also earlier in this thread) and could not get that to work either with the version of pendant I have.

So long story short I am looking into writing a C# version of the standalone app that uses Mach4 IPC. Got about 50% of the IPC calls mapped, also managed to get really basic IO to the HID driver for the pendant working. But still have a loooooong ways to go before these 2 ends meet in the middle and I can read all the data from the pendant HID driver, map it to know what buttons were pressed on said pendant etc, and then convert that to the right Mach4 IPC calls to create 2 way communication (which come to think of it I have not tested yet, I can read the raw data from the pendant but have not yet tried to send it data such as the XYZ positions for the LCD on the pendant).

Odd that there seems to be so little support/existing work for all this.
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »
Hi,
it was always intended that the manufacturer of the pendant or other Mach4 gadget would write their own
plugin, after all the manufacturer understands their hardware better than anyone else.

NFS is keen for manufacturers or other individuals to do so, after all the more pendants and other gadgets available
for use with Mach4 the better for Mach4 users. To this end if you sign a non-disclosure agreement with NFS, protecting
their investment in Mach4, then you will get all the inside gen to make your own plugin.

Why don't you as NFS?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »
3 things.

1. I haven't developed in C++ in AGES, last was 18 years ago and all of that on *nix platforms. A plugin would mean having to not only pick up C++ (and for that alas I have not the time at the moment) and more importantly to go read up on all the idiosyncrasies of C++ on Windows. Another can of worms I am not all that eager to get into. I should point out that I have looked at the code for both forks of the XHCWB04 driver here and got frustrated in no time flat trying to wrap my head around 4 different versions of MFC, 3 different versions of C++ (14.x, 17.x and generic) dialect not to mention Unicode or non-unicode libraries. That was quite enough for me thanks. Been working in C# on windows for the last 8 years (after some other stuff) and as such it made sense to go with that. I don't think however Mach4 plugins can be C# based (correct me here if need be)
2. I am not at present willing to engage in a non-disclosure agreement. This has nothing to do with NFS, more with the fact that I am currently employed in a rather strict work environment when it comes to conflicts of interest. Normally there should be no issue in me signing such an agreement but at the same time due to factors (that again have nothing to do with NFS) I can not discuss I am not willing to risk it either.
3. Taking 1 and 2 in consideration I decided going the IPC route, which is openly documented in the Mach4 documentation and as far as I can see requires no NDA. (again, if I am wrong here, by all means feel free to correct me).
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2019, 09:50:00 PM »
I was wondering, the difference between one of these pendents and say an Xbox 360 controller being both wireless units. Mach4 see's WHB04B-4 and some things work. Is something missing in Lua script tied to the plugin? I'm using an MB2.5 w/ESS and have the XHC04 plug in installed. It looks like this is going on the shelf till the development comes around. Going to use an Xbox360 controller for now, Thanks to Daz and others.
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2020, 03:52:22 PM »
Hey Folks,

I relay like the look and feel of this WHB04B hardware and don't want to throw it away because I upgraded to MACH4.... I was wondering if any one has attempted to take the approach of creating a WINDOWS 10 plugin to avoid some of the complications of MACH specific plugin programming...

The theory I am starting out on is kinda simple... If I can write a small driver (windows/app) that takes inputs from the WHB04B and interprets them as keystrokes (like from a wireless keybord) we could then simply assign keyboard "hotkeys" using MACH's built in functions...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:03:28 PM by B34R »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 01:12:50 AM »

The theory I am starting out on is kinda simple... If I can write a small driver (windows/app) that takes inputs from the WHB04B and interprets them as keystrokes (like from a wireless keybord) we could then simply assign keyboard "hotkeys" using MACH's built in functions...

Sounds like an excellent project.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2020, 04:46:10 AM »
I was very happy finding this thread, since I'm missing the WB04 very much after upgrading to Mach4 recently.

Unfortunately Mach4 (Version 4.2.0.4300) does not start anymore when I put XHC04.m4pw and
XHC04.sig (V 1.0.19) into the M4 plugin folder.
I'm running Win7 32bit

What might have gone wrong?

Thank you!
  Lothar
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2020, 08:38:50 PM »
Great work and thank you very much for your time and efforts in getting this plugin to work.
I know what a time consuming and painful process it is.

THANK YOU
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2020, 11:45:09 AM »
Hi just to add my interest in this topic and I have an HB)4 from Mach3 days and cant see an alternative mach4 pendant out there. 

Unfortunately I seem to be in the same boat, in that Mach4 build 446 fails to start when the plugin files are placed in the Mach4Hobby directory. 

Thanks again for ypour efforts in these uncertain times.

Barry