Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:38:37 AM

Author Topic: Tool Offset Macro...  (Read 46973 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Tool Offset Macro...
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2016, 07:21:07 AM »
Oh VERY nice!
I haven't got that far yet: all I have bothered with has been isolation routing, rather than defining actual tracks. The isolation stuff is dead easy with almost zero learning curve. Actually making tracks means brushing up on a PCB program - and the only ones I have are ... antique. Anyhow, other fish to fry right now (always a good excuse). What do you use?

Cheers
Roger

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2016, 07:38:32 AM »
Nice stuff, i think this one will be ok on vero board mounted near the encoder and using a socket, keep it simple;)

Had another mess with the G31 routine and it certainly did nothing to enhance my trust factor!

I wanted to try after setting Z dro to zero but it made no difference.

It was repeatable but wrong, no idea why or where the numbers are originating really, and if i can get the height setter working i really won't care, but it is baffling to say the least.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:50:18 AM by Davek0974 »

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2016, 07:42:57 AM »
Hi Dave
I think you are looking at the problem with the wrong eye ... Try the left one?
Cheers
Roger

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »
I did it in SolidWorks :D

When I moved onto the final stage (smd's and manufactured boards) I used the customers PCB programme, think it was called Easy PC
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2016, 07:48:52 AM »
Dave, the benefit I see of the G31 are for people that can not have repeatable tool lengths, ie the're using R8 collets or similar.
With collet chucks or end mill holders then you can swap tools in and out of the spindle repeatably and I think the Height Setter is much more efficient for that.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2016, 07:58:28 AM »
Yeah, i can see the appeal of the setter, just need to get the parts in but i can start by building the mechanical parts now.

With the G31 idea, i just like to know why things do what they do, i don't like being beaten by the system ;) In theory it should work but something is just not so with it. I think i have expended enough time on it now though so will have to brush it under the bench.

As i said before, the thought of NOT having to G31 with tools in a powerful (if weakly built) spindle is very appealing now, and if that IC works and the CSMIO plays ball then the total cost of the setter will be £3.90 so well within budget ;)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2016, 07:59:27 AM »
the benefit I see of the G31 are for people that can not have repeatable tool lengths, ie the're using R8 collets or similar.
Indeed. Two very different situations. As I am using ER25 collets with unringed bits, that describes me. An actual off-line tool-setter would be of no use at all to me.

So I will be using a table-mounted ZTO to sense each tool tip, and a spindle-mounted Z touch probe to measure the fixed ht difference between the ZTO surface and the top surface of the job. Naturally, I have to make these rather than buy them. But I wonder - would this work for Dave? It might be a lot simpler.

Cheers
Roger

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2016, 08:05:25 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts Roger, appreciated, but the setter really is a neat accessory in this instance, the ability to change tools and reset in a matter of seconds is good too as i could only afford one batch of ER32 chucks at present, I chose the bigger '32 series as i wanted to keep the difference between the height of the Haimer and the range of tools i have to a minimum as i have limited Z travel on the Bridgeport.

If i can get it all going for a couple of quid then its a no-brainer really.

I will still need the G31 basic TOM routine for the engraving spindle though , but that does work ok so no worries there.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2016, 08:08:18 AM »
Dave, you not VAT registered, it would have been cheaper if you were ;D

Roger, I use ER collets as well but they are in collet chucks which fit in the spindle so I can take a chuck out and then put it back in and it repeats exactly. If I need to replace a worn or broken tool then I just pop it back in the setter and press the screen button and enter the same number and thats the new height set ready to be placed in the tool changer.
 If your spindle itself has the collets direct then the G31 will be the way to go.

Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2016, 10:26:37 AM »
Found this in the lathe this afternoon, not much but it's a start;)

Once upon a time it was a mandrel for turning traction engine big-end bearings, now its an R8 socket mount :)