Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:56:21 AM

Author Topic: Tool Offset Macro...  (Read 46968 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Tool Offset Macro...
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 03:56:52 AM »
Lucky bugger ;)

currently £276 + vat and delivery

Would you say go for the HQ or the shorter Mini for a Bridgeport with its limited Z motion ?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 04:13:04 AM »

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 04:23:51 AM »
Hi Dave

Ah, OK, for a mill.
I use metal holding jigs a lot, and they are all made (machined up) with reference edges. I use the reference edges for alignment when reloading the jigs.

Frankly, I find sensitive commercial touch probes to be a bit of a pain, so I use the el-cheapo method of a ground 6.00 m carbide rod and a ground bit of shim between the rod and the reference edge. I find I can zero an axis to about 5 micrometres this way fairly quickly. That's for the X & Y axes.
For the Z axis, I often do just the same: use a shim between the cutter and a ref surface on the job. Again, 5 micrometres is normal.

One day I may set up a static ZTO at the sde of the mill table. But to use one I first need to use a mounted Z-probe to determine the difference in height between the top of the ZTO and the top ref surface on the job. I am working on that. Again, I find commercial 3D touch probes too expensive for this, too fragile, or too sloppy, so i will have to do something else, with a 1D probe.

Cheers
Roger

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 04:39:08 AM »
Dave, if I recall there is less than 10mm height difference between the mini and the HQ.

Regarding the Mahr one, it just looks like the usual Chinese suspects, maybe a bit better quality but  only one needle where the Haimers have two, so take of that what you will.
Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 04:57:03 AM »
Hood, back to your method but applying to my setup....

SO say i now have a 3d-taster, it's in a weldon toolholder and I'll call it T100 for fun.

I would then place the setter in the spindle and ref to my touch plate.

Then fit a new tool/holder and call it say T1, then probe my touch plate and take the distance as the offset?

No, i've lost the plot now :)

How does it work without the toolsetter?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 05:09:57 AM »
Ok without a tool setter like I have I think probably what you would do is.
First make sure M6T0 is called so that no offsets are present.
Put the taster in the spindle, bring down to the touch plate and press the Zero button on the screen, now this is not the work offset zero but a VB button that will zero the User DRO. So no offset called for the taster and it is basically like fully down position on my tool setter, in other words it is the reference point.

Next put a tool in, bring down to touch plate, press the Set Z button (it contains the above VB) and a box will pop up asking the tool  number, enter the number and press OK and the tool table opens for you to enter the name and then save.
Repeat for all other tools.

Here is a vid of the height setter working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DAmcLo9IW4

Oh and saw a German place on eBay selling the Haimer a bit cheaper than WNT is now.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haimer-Taster-3D-Universal-Schaft-20mm-IP67-/221919260831?hash=item33ab6b309f:g:B2MAAOSwo0JWHfhs

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 05:12:00 AM »
Also once tools are set up then what you would do is call M6T0 or possibly G43H0 and then get the top of the material with the Haimer, press the Zero button at the side of the Z DRO to zero the work offsets, once you have done that then any tool/offset number called should be at the surface.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 05:14:57 AM »
Actually thinking a bit more about it, because you do not have the glass scale then I think the initial button would be the Z DRO zero and the code in the Set Z button would then look to that DRO for the offsets for the rest of the tools.
Typing this is jogging my memory and it is actually the way I used to do things before I make the tool setter for the Beaver Mill.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 05:16:45 AM »
Obviously this is all manual and requires you to jog via the MPG but as the CSMIO MPG jogging is so accurate and predictable compared to Machs normal method, it is no real hardship :)
Hood

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 05:23:51 AM »
Ok without a tool setter like I have I think probably what you would do is.
First make sure M6T0 is called so that no offsets are present.
Put the taster in the spindle, bring down to the touch plate and press the Zero button on the screen, now this is not the work offset zero but a VB button that will zero the User DRO.

Hmm, so is that "user" DRO a new one i need to add? or the Z axis DRO?

I'm on the 2010 screen-set so adding pretty much anything is buggered as there is no space really, I could, maybe squeeze a small button in.

I have a Haimer HQ on order, got a small discount as it was my first order so thats something.

Gonna need a lot of coffee to get this into my cranium i think.