Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:37:12 AM

Author Topic: MPG  (Read 13159 times)

Re: MPG
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 02:54:10 PM »

- how could I choose the axis for jogging, except obviously clicking on the onscreen jogger?  
Thanks

How about just putting the 3 led's on the screen (59, 60 and 61) and toggle through them with AltA on the keyboard ?

I see your mention in the first post  .... via the bob.
Maybe a momentary button to 1 input, triggering 175 to toggle through the axis'.
Many use a multi pos. rotary switch to multiple inputs.

3 position rotary switch sounds great, and I do have 3 inputs left, but I'm afraid I don't know a first thing about the "triggering 175" stuff, I'd need a more basic explanation, or a link to info I could use to do this... Toggling is also an option, of course, I'd try both, I don't mind reading, if you can tell me where to look...

Thanks,
miso

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
To use the rotary switch you would just do exactly like I mentioned with the OEM triggers, I only mentioned the X but Y and Z would be done the same way using the other two inputs you have spare.
 Power to centre of rotary switch and the three terminals of the switch connect to each input. I use rotary switches on all my machines for axis select and also MPG increment amount.

It is also possible to use a Brain or the Macropump but the simplest way for what you want is to use the OEM triggers..

Regarding the Inputs possibly being 12 or 24v. Most industrial machines will be 24v I/O, it is much more noise resistant and thus much more reliable. All my machines are 24v I/O, the ones that use the SmoothSteppers I had to convert myself, the ones that use THE CSMIO controllers it is simple as they accept 24v.

It may be possible just to use 5v at that power connection but It may require the higher voltage to trigger the opto.

Hood
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 03:35:18 PM »
Thanks, will read your post again and try to make it work. I'm leaving tomorrow morning and will be away for a couple of days, will be online but obviously I won't be able to try any of this until I come back. But I will have plenty of time to read and hopefully learn something more about it, maybe see more video tutorials etc... Brain, Macropump, I have yet to dive into the subject, I only have a foggy idea what they are;) But OEM triggers sound simple enough to me...

I'll check if 5V works on teh 12-24V terminals, although I'd expect if this was possible they would be labeled 5-24V. Bt who knows, we'll see...

Thanks again for your help.

Miso

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 03:53:06 PM »

I'll check if 5V works on teh 12-24V terminals, although I'd expect if this was possible they would be labeled 5-24V. Bt who knows, we'll see...

Miso

I was referring to connecting 5v via the USB socket. I assume that is there as an option to power the TTL signals.

:)
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2016, 04:47:50 PM »
I will check that, too, Overloaded, thanks. The comment was more of a reply to Hoods last post, where he said it might be possible to connect 5V to the 12-24V terminals...
I've tried to plug the USB too, but I couldn't see any difference, at any rate terminals 10-13 and 15 behaved the same way...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »
You should, if the 12-24v Input theory is correct, have continuity between the 12-24v positive connection and the opto. There are resistors there so  it will have a resistance equal to them but if you go to the resistor itself it should be 0 ohms.

So if that does turn out to be correct then you should be able to swap out the resistors for ones which would suit 5v. One thing you would have to watch though,  is the outputs beside the 12-24v connection may also be using that power source.

Hood
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2016, 08:05:37 AM »
Thanks Hood.

I won't be at home for the next couple of days, but when I get back, I will take this BOB to the lab and test and try everything we were talking about. I might even be able to post the schematics, as I guess other people with the same device could find it useful. I have 4 or 5 of those, so for me it definitely makes sense learning a bit more about it...

I understand the advantage of the higher voltages, still, looking at the configuration of inputs, I find it a bit odd having to attach an extra power supply in order to, for example, connect the limit switch.

I'll try to change the resistors so everything will work with 5V only.

Miso

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
I think the reason for needing the extra power supply is to keep the isolation. If you can change things to make it suitable for 5v Inputs you will still need the power input there I think.

Hood
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
I think the reason for needing the extra power supply is to keep the isolation. If you can change things to make it suitable for 5v Inputs you will still need the power input there I think.

Hood

You're probably right. I'll take the BOB to my friend's company (initra.com), they produce all sorts of electronics, optical network switches, stuff like that... They also assemble the electronics for my products, do the programming etc. So, even if I think I can do something myself, I usually outsource everything electronic to him;) I don't think BOB will be a problem for him to grasp...

Thanks,

Miso
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2016, 11:32:51 PM »
http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/5-axis-cnc-breakout-board-interface-for-stepper-motor-driver-stv2-p-197.html

fwiw

Optional, like the PMDX-107for example. "The board is powered from the equipment side and accepts regulated 5 volts DC, unregulated 7 to 24 volts DC, or 9 to 12 volts AC"

Take your pick, both are the same 5v inside.