Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:26:00 AM

Author Topic: MPG  (Read 13147 times)

Re: MPG
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 10:26:01 AM »
I've tried, it's not passing the signal:(
I've switched to the inverted AB pair, so I could measure the voltage on the BOB terminals 13 and 15, it's 4.1V.
But nothing on the pins 13 and 15 on the BOBs D25 comnector or the cable, why would that be?
I've also detached the wheel, and connected +5V directly to the BOB terminals 13 and 15, that also did not get through, so I guess nothin's wrong with the encoder...
Cable was not connected to the PC during this test, and I also tried without the cable, directly at the BOB connector, same thing, no signal...
The BOB is brand new and it worked fine otherwise, and I don't think there's any setup apart from the jumper for the relays...
In the BOB manual, terminals 13 and 15 are marked as the inputs for limit switches....
Miso

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2016, 01:04:05 PM »
Just looked at the manual and there is not a lot of info there. What I do see however is there is a connection for 12v to 24v. Could it be your inputs need to be 12-24v?
Looking at the Inputs it seems they are sourcing which means they should have a voltage on them and you connect to Gnd to activate. If that is the case you should be able to put a voltmeter on pin 15 and gnd of the Inputs and you should see the voltage.
Do not have anything connected to pin 15 terminal when doing that.
Hood
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »
I just managed to make it work;)

Looking at the schematic of the input terminals, I guess that to get the signal out of the BOB, any of the five must be shorted to the bottom (GND) terminal. BTW, this teminal is not connected to any GND or Vcc, and I also tried to just short the two, witn no result, so I guess probably this pin should be connected to the BOB GND.

Anyway, as I was not sure how to connect this, and there was no signal at the output, I opted for the solution similar to what you mentioned earlier, and connected the encoder to the BOB connector directly, and it worked right away.

Thanks everybody for your help and your time. I will try to find out how I could connect it to the terminals, but it's also OK as it is.

OK, now the next question - how could I choose the axis for jogging, except obviously clicking on the onscreen jogger? I still have 3 inputs left, but I don't know how (if at all) this can be setiup in Mach...

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:46:52 PM by mishko »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »
Glad it is working.

I think maybe you need to feed power to the BOB at the right hand side where it says 12-24v, that would mean the Gnd is connected to that power supply Gnd and then you would get 12v or 24v coming out of the input connectors depending on the power supply you use.

To see if that is correct you could put an ohm meter on the Inputs Gnd connection and the 12-24v Gnd connection and see if there is continuity, if there is then I think that must be the way it is configured.

Anyway on to your inputs for axis selection.
Easiest way would just be to configure the inputs as OEM triggers in Mach then set up the OEM triggers from Config menu then System Hotkeys, you would enter the OEM code against the triggers you used.

For example if you connect the switch to pin 10 you would go into Ports and Pins, Inputs and set up OEM Trigger to Port 1 Pin 10.
Next you would go to Config menu and System HotKeys and in the box beside trigger 1 you would enter the code for X Axis select. The OEM for that is  185

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
Oh BTW if I am correct then you will not be able to connect that MPG directly to the inputs as it will have 12 or 24v on it, SO BE CAREFUL.

Hood
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 01:58:44 PM »

- how could I choose the axis for jogging, except obviously clicking on the onscreen jogger? 
Thanks

How about just putting the 3 led's on the screen (59, 60 and 61) and toggle through them with AltA on the keyboard ?
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 02:03:49 PM »

Cable was not connected to the PC during this test, and I also tried without the cable, directly at the BOB connector, same thing, no signal...

Miso

Did you have any power to the board at all ?
Looks like a USB port there, maybe power it with a USB cable. Its opto isolated so it will need power from somewhere other than the PP connection.
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 02:22:38 PM »

I think maybe you need to feed power to the BOB at the right hand side where it says 12-24v, that would mean the Gnd is connected to that power supply Gnd and then you would get 12v or 24v coming out of the input connectors depending on the power supply you use.

Hood

There may be a regulator on the board to knock this 12 -24 down to 5v TTL.
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2016, 02:36:48 PM »

- how could I choose the axis for jogging, except obviously clicking on the onscreen jogger? 
Thanks

How about just putting the 3 led's on the screen (59, 60 and 61) and toggle through them with AltA on the keyboard ?

I see your mention in the first post  .... via the bob.
Maybe a momentary button to 1 input, triggering 175 to toggle through the axis'.
Many use a multi pos. rotary switch to multiple inputs.
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 02:49:50 PM »
Hood, I think you are right again, GND is connected to the GND of the (12-24V POW). I still don't understand though why I would have to connect this high periferral voltage just to be able to use the switches, and what else could that voltage be used for?. As nothing is connected to these terminals,I wonder if I could just connect this GND to the PCGND, but I think I have already tried something like that and did not get the output... So I don't intend to connect the external power supply, and certainly not connect the encoder to it...

Overloaded, BOB has the 5V supply directly from the PC power supply. I guess the USB is there for the same reason, but I did not try to use it so far, I believe the result would be the same, though. This BOB worked fine so far, until I invented this wheel problem;)

Maybe the solution with onsceen LEDs would work, I'd have to learn how to do it first, though, never tried it before. And I would be interested in Hoods solution, as this way I might be able to assemble some sort of pendant, or add some sort of box on the router itself, as opposed to having to reach for the keyboard or mouse. Sometimes it's not a problem, but sometimes it's simply too far to be able to see the tool AND use the keyboard.

I'll try both, thanks again...