Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:16:16 AM

Author Topic: CSMIO-ENC Spindle Orientation  (Read 28557 times)

Re: CSMIO-ENC Spindle Orientation
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2019, 07:40:00 AM »
Page 18 of  CSMIO IP-A user manual:
"The encoder   inputs   of   CSMIO/IP-A require differential signal. If connect-ed  encoder  has  a  common  output    then  you  should  use  special  convert-er.  Connection  of  A-,  B-,  I-  to  GND  causes axis position will be distorted.  "

Page 4 of CSMIO ENC user manual:
"The   encoder needs   to   have   5V   differential outputs."

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2019, 07:46:53 AM »
Yes thats why the open collector output won't work, it will need a line-driver as well to create a differential signal.

The signals i am using are differential already.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2019, 06:01:21 AM »
No luck at all getting this to work, i asked CSL and got this reply...

Construction:
a.      M20 macro for spindle positioning can only be used if the spindle is driven by a servo drive that works in position mode (never in opened position loop).
b.      If there's gear between a servo motor and a spindle, then it has to be non-slip gear, e.g. toothed belt used.
c.      The encoder for revs and spindle angle reading must be installed directly on a spindle or through the non-slip gear (e.g. the tootled belt) , with ratio 1:1.
d.      The encoder for revs and spindle angle reading can only be connected to CSMIO-ENC module.
The encode signals can't be used for any other purposes as it will be overloaded this way (it's a common issue).

Settings:
a.      Using M20 macro for spindle positioning, you can't use „Align at stop” function at the same time (plugin „Spindle” tab) and reversely.
b.      If there is gear between a servo motor and a spindle, then the gear ration should be set in Mach3 in the „Spindle Pulleys” tab (1:1 by default).
c.      Set the „Spindle Pulses / Revolution”  value in the plugin „Spindle” tab:
The „Spindle Pulses / Revolution” value is encoder pulses number incl. all four edges and the electronic gear in a servo drive (if used).

The M20 macro verifies the set and real position after spindle positioning.
If the difference between those two values is higher than „Const Offset = 1” parameter value, the „M20 ERROR Offset !!!„ error will appear.
The „Const Offset” value can be reasonably adjusted to our needs (the value of 1 is usually optimal).

Now the only part i have wrong is that i am sharing the encoder between main controller and ENC module - could that be it??
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2019, 07:43:24 AM »
I have such bridge connection between CSMIO-IP/A and ENC module and my spindle works fine on M20 macro (Toothed belt 1:1 ratio between motor and spindle, encoder on the motor).

Did you fix your index signal? Without it it won't work.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2019, 07:54:42 AM »
Thats the thing- if the index was failing it wouldn't thread ok - but it does, very nicely in fact.

Not sure what else i can do with it at present, really don't want to have to fit another encoder, probably not worth it just for alignment.

As far as i know it's the index that resets the angle counter and that seems pretty happy???
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2019, 07:56:45 AM »
Could you disconnect the index signal from controller and enc module and check whether threading  still works?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2019, 07:58:52 AM »
I can try that, possibly be in the morning though. See how work goes this afternoon ;)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2019, 06:07:06 AM »
Could you disconnect the index signal from controller and enc module and check whether threading  still works?

Ok, pulled the index from the ENC module and threading still worked - the thread-sync LED in mach came on as normal and the code ran ok.

I pulled the index from the main controller and nothing worked very well, spindle still ran but tried an M20 and the controller just hung, had to estop and close Mach to get out.

Seems all the ENC module is doing at present is spindle speed display??
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2019, 06:23:05 AM »
Threading didn't work when you pulled out the index signal from ENC and IP-A?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2019, 06:55:11 AM »
Nope