Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:01:07 AM

Author Topic: Cap04 Plasma THC  (Read 8580 times)

Cap04 Plasma THC
« on: December 21, 2015, 12:04:30 PM »
Hello all,

I am trying to get my Cap04 THC running for the first time. I've been using the machine over the last month with a trim router attached and have swapped to the plasma now. So, I know it all works except the THC.
I've tested the inputs and they do work. In fact too well.
As soon as I set up the Up and Down input, the Z starts to run. Then I can't get it to reset because of an "Up or Down input signal" fault. And, it is showing.
I thought the machine would ignore the THC inputs until the G Code was started but now I'm not sure.

Any ideas, input appreciated.

Ian
Re: Cap04 Plasma THC
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »
Forgot to add I'm using a licensed version of Mach3 on an XP computer.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
Are you using parallel port, motion controller, if so which one?
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »
I have two parallel ports and cards.
Main card is C11S to PCI Parallel card- has motors outputs, Estop and THC inputs.
Second is a C10R10.3 to Motherboard Parallel(only way to get all inputs working), +-Limints for X,Y,Z.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:59:43 PM »
Should work fine.

Need to set up the ports and pins.

You then have two options.... Set up an mcode to turn THC on and off or use THC whenever THC OK and THCDn or THCUp is toggled.

The latter is on on the ports and pins.... Last tab is a checkbox that says something like use THC even when THC not enabled.

Best to use the plasma screenset as the THC speed is set on the DRO on the screen.

THC shunts the z up or down without acceleration... Ie you can stall the steppers if it is set at 100%

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
Using an mcode to toggle THC on and off is fine but you need to note that when you run gcode with an mcode the machine will pause whilst it runs the mcode... So you may get a divot when you do it....

There is however one code which does not hesitate the machine motion.... Which is m10px and m11px.... (11 = on, 10=off), x denotes the output number .... Now this code is normally used for laser... However I have a spare relay on my bob... Which allows me to make and break the THCOK signal... Which in turn allows me to turn THC on and off without hesitation to my machine motion...

As THCUp or THCDn signals have no effect if the THCOK is not present.

Rob
Rob

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »
This is where my "newness" comes in.
I did get the manual and other info for setup from the page: http://www.agelkom.com.tr/mach3.htm

I'm just unsure of how to deal with the macros. Is that what you mean by mcode? Also, I just dragged and dropped the files to the Mach3 folder. Should they go into others?

I also have a relay on the C11s that I was planning on using for triggering the Plasma.
Thanks again for your help
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »
Yup, macros are m-codes....

Firstly.... I would take a backup of your working profile.XML file.

then I would copy and create a new "plasma profile", by renaming the copy of the working XML file (as you have a mill that works!)

Then, from the link you gave (http://www.agelkom.com.tr/M3_2_06_screen11.zip) , they provide a M3 macro which needs to be placed in your mach3 "macros" folder (as per the instructions:

7. Rename your M3 to M3orj. Also copy and rename our M3*****. file to M3

then place the screenset (http://www.agelkom.com.tr/Plasma11.zip) in the "Mach3" folder.

then restart mach3

then select "view" (along the top line).... and then "load screens".... scroll down to their screenset and select it.

And provided you change all the other posts and pins settings shown on that page ... you "should" have a working plasma setup.

disregard my comments about m10 / m11 as they won't apply to the other M3 setup listed above... get use to what you have then have a fiddle with the VBScript codes when you become less "new".

Rob

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
Ok, that makes a bit more sense. I was missing the .orj as there dosen't seem to be any listed in the folders but I think it's just a holder. As in original?
I'll get back at this later and let you know.
Thanks Rob!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »
I guess orj is original... Can call it anything you want m3old.m1s etc etc... As long as it is not just "m" followed by just a number it will be fine
Rob