Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:46:20 AM

Author Topic: Spindle starts on closing Mach  (Read 13630 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle starts on closing Mach
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
That wiring is correct for your VFD and how the C41 is supposed to work.
If it is not working then it would seem either your VFD or the C41 is not as described in the respective manuals.
One thing you could do as a test. Remove the wire from the  C41 that goes to the Fwd on the VFD. If you have a toggle switch then wire it between the Fwd and CM terminal. Command a speed in Mach then close the switch, your VFD should rotate your motor and the speed should be as you called. Now if you open the switch  the VFD should stop the motor rotating.
 If that is what you get then I would say that it is almost certain that you either have a faulty C41 or it does not work in the way it is supposed to.
Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
Hi Hood,
 I had to take a day off for personal reason. Today, I did exactly as you outlined in your previous post, the result does point to the C41. The motor stops when I open the switch, but the Relay's LED stays on. Closing Mach the Relay goes off, and the spindle doesn't start as previously. I'm going to order another C41, I did mention this to Arturo, but haven't heard from him since. It is possible that the board is faulty, but I think he doesn't want to admit it. If the new board doesn't work out, than I might scrap all of his products. I must have this machine working. Six months is a long time screwing around.
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »
Hopefully you will get it worked out, you have certainly been through the mill with all the issues :(
Hood
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 04:52:56 AM »
Just thought I would throw in a possible cause to your spindle problem. I had been running early versions of Mach 3 for a few years with no problems. Then I decided to upgrade to the latest version, whilst still keeping the same config settings.  Since then I have had a strange thing happen. If I leave the machine on and close down the Mach on the computer the spindle starts at top speed for a split second then stops. I put this down to electrical noise or a ancient LYNX spindle drive as its been a problem on my machine from the outset. I solved the problem easily but turning off the machine before closing down Mach on the computer, just been down and tried turning Mach off first and yes the spindle starts for a split second. Have you tried earlier version of Mach software, or am I just causing you more headaches.
Jim

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 06:44:33 AM »
My view is that the machine should always be shut down, or put into a safe mode, before closing Mach.

Obviously there are exceptions but if, for example, you are using the parallel port for machine control then the state of the port pins, when Mach is closed, reverts to Windows control and can be a total unknown quantity.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »
Thank you Both,
Yes Jim, I have tried 3 earlier versions of Mach, the same thing with all of them. The only thing that comes to mind is that I use Ethernet Smoothstepper. Greg from Warp9 says it can't be his board. Arturo from CNC4PC also says it is not his board. The version I use now is R3.043.066. Now, the cycle time doesn't count. Is there a setting in Mach to make it work?
Tweakie, that is what I do now, I shut the machine down before closing Mach. But how else  would I put the machine into safe mode? The windows is XP, that I made as lean as it can be. Using the ESS is still somewhat like the parallel port. Isn't it?
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »
The ESS is different from the parallel port in that it theoretically needs Mach running and needs to be in constant communication with Mach for anything to work. Now that is not to say it can never go wrong but it is unlikely and windows being able to toggle I/O when Mach is not open, like can happen with the PP, is very slim.

Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 08:41:48 AM »
Thank you Hood. I'm going to risk another C41 spindle control board from CNC4PC.
Mike

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
Save your money and get another brand of board from another manufacturer.  Personally, I saved (after months of hairpulling with cnc4pc's non user friendly drawings, poor documentation and a complete hassle for technical support) and plunged for a Gecko 540. Haven't looked back.

I know there are other boards available that may be as good as a Gecko or better, but that's what I went with.

NO PROBLEMS since.

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 09:01:08 AM »
Hi Guys,
I thank you All for your help on this spindle problem. I think I solved it, it was a setting in Mach's Output page. I enabled the charge pump, set it to Port1, Pin16 (my step signal for the spindle), active low. I may add that there is no physical charge pump in my system.
Mike