Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:58:04 AM

Author Topic: Adventures in Pokeys  (Read 30080 times)

Re: Adventures in Pokeys
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 01:03:37 PM »
In the past hour I've gone from aggravated to infuriated.
I've tried everything I can think of to make this work to no avail.
Okay, as I said above, it's not supposed to be a puzzle and I've wasted way too much time and money on this. I made an expensive mistake, Pokeys, switches, push buttons, leds, joysticks, etc.
--
The thing that infuriates me is that although I've done all I know to totally remove Pokeys from the system, it has somehow modified my screenset so that now my hotkeys do not work. I say screenset because if I go to the standard set the hotkeys do work. ?????? I have no idea how to fix this. Nor can I imagine what has happened. Both screensets have the same profile, (XML).
--
Additionally I believe the device was messing with my Ethernet Smooth Stepper. During the approximately dozen times I started and re-started Mach trying to fix the problem there were three times that Mach could not find the ESS. Only un-powering/rebooting the ESS fixed that problem.

Ozzie

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »
Hi, guys

If you need any urgent help, contact us at support@poscope.com or matevz@poscope.com, if you want to contact me directly.

Regarding your problems. Please download the attached plugin and test it. Before that, make sure that you are running the latest development version of PoKeys firmware and software.

Regards,
Matevž

ok...new dll in place...fired up the pokeys app....updated the firmware (failed first time..worked fine the second attempt..could easily have been a network  connection issue)

My encoder (on pins 3 &4 ) is mapped only in the beta pokeys plugin and works fine. I have a push knob encoder, which the switch is mapped through pin 10 as the reset and it works now as well and does not take over control as before (although I have not yet tested any gcode... just switches and knobs etc)
I have the pokeys keyboard active as well and it works just fine for these FRO and reset functions.

BUT I have now noticed a few oddities and am writing here , treating this as beta feedback for you guys.    :-)
I an under the impression these are background issues in the plugin code rather than the xml/saveable config.

1- Upon MACH3 startup.... the kbd48CNC now always defaults to axis C enabled.  Is there any way to pre-set which axis it comes up on?
    (I tried playing with the plugin config but don't see anything there.)

2- I have a couple push buttons (actually joystick switches) for jogging,  attached as digital inputs to the 56u
     Even though the 'C' axis is active (on the kbd48CNC) I can still jog correctly as the the joysticks are mapped to button pushes.  BUT.... INC jogs are at TWICE the distance set  (IE 0.100 will move 0.200)  After touching an axis select button on the kbd48CNC (x,y or z), the first move will be the proper distance, but there after are twice the set distance.  I've manually entered other valuse to increment, just to manually verify it was not kbd48CNC or other related issues.

3- toggling the 'jog mode' use to cycle through all three modes/selections  IE: CONT-INC-MPG modes , now it does not. It only switches between CONT and INC  I have to hit the kbd48CNC  'MPG'  button to get it over to the MPG jog.

4-I  have the 56U pin 9 mapped as a Mach3 "SHIFT KEY" to enable FAST JOG function on a button near my joysticks which works just fine ....
so too does the right most kbd48CNC keyboard  '~ ' key to enable/toggle  FAST JOG mode   The SHIFT key will light up the Mach3 screen LED properly as long as the key is held down.  The kbd48CNC '~ ' toggle the mode, but does not light the screen LED    The kbd48CNC '~' KEY is a toggle rather than a momentary like the SHIFT KEY,  but the kbd48CNC '~' does not light the Mach3 screen Fast JOG LED at all.

Thanks for the encoder fix.... this was my biggie.  The rest right now are just annoyances, I'll have to try and remember (save the INC jog at double the distance.
...was thinking that was a key bounce issue... but is not as the + / - keys on the kbd48CNC do the same (double distance)

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »
Hi, guys

If you need any urgent help, contact us at support@poscope.com or matevz@poscope.com, if you want to contact me directly.

Regarding your problems. Please download the attached plugin and test it. Before that, make sure that you are running the latest development version of PoKeys firmware and software.

Regards,
Matevž

ok...new dll in place...fired up the pokeys app....updated the firmware (failed first time..worked fine the second attempt..could easily have been a network  connection issue)

My encoder (on pins 3 &4 ) is mapped only in the beta pokeys plugin and works fine. I have a push knob encoder, which the switch is mapped through pin 10 as the reset and it works now as well and does not take over control as before (although I have not yet tested any gcode... just switches and knobs etc)
I have the pokeys keyboard active as well and it works just fine for these FRO and reset functions.

BUT I have now noticed a few oddities and am writing here , treating this as beta feedback for you guys.    :-)
I an under the impression these are background issues in the plugin code rather than the xml/saveable config.

1- Upon MACH3 startup.... the kbd48CNC now always defaults to axis C enabled.  Is there any way to pre-set which axis it comes up on?
    (I tried playing with the plugin config but don't see anything there.)

2- I have a couple push buttons (actually joystick switches) for jogging,  attached as digital inputs to the 56u
     Even though the 'C' axis is active (on the kbd48CNC) I can still jog correctly as the the joysticks are mapped to button pushes.  BUT.... INC jogs are at TWICE the distance set  (IE 0.100 will move 0.200)  After touching an axis select button on the kbd48CNC (x,y or z), the first move will be the proper distance, but there after are twice the set distance.  I've manually entered other valuse to increment, just to manually verify it was not kbd48CNC or other related issues.

3- toggling the 'jog mode' use to cycle through all three modes/selections  IE: CONT-INC-MPG modes , now it does not. It only switches between CONT and INC  I have to hit the kbd48CNC  'MPG'  button to get it over to the MPG jog.

4-I  have the 56U pin 9 mapped as a Mach3 "SHIFT KEY" to enable FAST JOG function on a button near my joysticks which works just fine ....
so too does the right most kbd48CNC keyboard  '~ ' key to enable/toggle  FAST JOG mode   The SHIFT key will light up the Mach3 screen LED properly as long as the key is held down.  The kbd48CNC '~ ' toggle the mode, but does not light the screen LED    The kbd48CNC '~' KEY is a toggle rather than a momentary like the SHIFT KEY,  but the kbd48CNC '~' does not light the Mach3 screen Fast JOG LED at all.

Thanks for the encoder fix.... this was my biggie.  The rest right now are just annoyances, I'll have to try and remember (save the INC jog at double the distance.
...was thinking that was a key bounce issue... but is not as the + / - keys on the kbd48CNC do the same (double distance)

OZZEII... you need to run the pokeys app outside Mach3.  BUT FIRST
just copy the dll int othe pokeys plugin directory.

On the 56U web page (http://www.poscope.com/pokeys56u) select the manuals/downloads and DNLthe lastest plugin
[Development Version] PoKeys software v3.0.57 + PoBlocks beta 1.1.0.10 + Mach3 plugin (5.7.2013) Size: (25.13 MB)

run the app and it will install everything needed... I just caledl the new one pokeysbeta so it saved the old directories and files by writing the new stuff to a new dir.

run the pokeys app first.... it might error out but just restart it. You can the update the firmware. Mine took two tries but worked correctly (I think for me a it was a network timeout the first time)

...see my last post back for the pokey guys
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
Thanks Paul,
It's comforting to know you've got it going. I'll get back at it tomorrow, (calmer now).  :P.
I did manage to get back to where I was before I tried the new plug-in.
Ozzie
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 02:20:13 PM »
Following Paul's instructions I succeeded in upgrading the "stuff". So far I haven't noticed any differences. For Paul it is a different story, good.
My keyboard hotkeys still do not work but all that was there is now on my control board, so if I decide to continue with Pokeys that won't be a problem, (just a question as to why).
I got all my buttons routed but two, (wired in parallel), they were to be "shift" keys for my jogging buttons. I can not find a way to do that on the plug-in inside Mach. But there is on the Pokeys setup. At first I couldn't get that to work, seemed to have no effect, but eventually worked. You must disable the button in the plug-in, enable the keyboard equivalent in Pokeys, send to device, then restart Mach 3.
So this morning I've played around trying all the buttons and knobs and the joysticks, tried running a g-code dry, no servos running. All seems to work okay, BUT, one really scary thing is that once in a while one or more Dros change without apparent reason. Those that change are the axis and the FRO, not insignificant. The FRO changes by monster amounts and the axis by tenths or thousandths. I realize this is noise/cross-talk but I don't know the source or how to find it. I do notice that every time I make a change in either setup this axis dros go crazy. I guess I'll check all the wiring connections, but beyond that I'm stuck.
I want to get back to machining stuff, I'm tired of playing electronics about which I know nothing. I wish there were more people on this site, contributing either their successes or failures and advice.
Ozzie
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »
No posts from NeoTo/Matevz for 9 days. At that time he asked for individual contact. It is strange that rather trying to help anyone reading these posts he prefers to keep it private. Maybe they'd like to abandon this forum, maybe he's just on vacation. ;D
I have not been able to solve my noise problem, axis DROs just suddenly move while system is sitting idle.
My keyboard jog buttons do not work since installing Pokeys; even if I disable Pokeys.
Some sort of response would be nice, even to say we don't know.
Ozzie

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
I fully agree that this should be kept on the forums so everyone can see the results later on down the road.

I also asked Matevz a question on the Yahoo boards about his setup that he posted pictures of and has not yet replied, and that was July 15th.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1mach2cnc/message/141059;_ylc=X3oDMTJ0cjg1ZGpvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzEwNjYxNjM5BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzY5NwRtc2dJZAMxNDEwNTkEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTM3Mzk2MjA2OQ--

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2013, 07:05:23 PM »
Ozzie,

It might be time to look into an Arduino, or even better an Arduino Mega, you can do all the same stuff, and a HUGE open source user community! Lots of 3rd party hardware and DIY as well. I made the switch a while back now, and never looked back.

Scott
fun times
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2013, 08:11:16 PM »
Scott Baby,
That's so easy for you, impossible for me.
I need explicit directions; buy this, do this, wire this here, etc, etc.
I tried to learn a little electronics a while back; it was all about vacuum tubes and stuff. I gave up.
Don't spread it around but I don't really know what an Arduino is. Sounds like a new hot Italian chef.
I have no idea how many Pokeys customers there are or who is interested in this sort of thing. I've operated Mach for a very long time with just a keyboard and a mouse, (and I will probably continue to do so for a while). But if there is a market Poppa Bear, I think that you'd be an ideal guy to come out with some package; something electronic dummies like me can deal with.
For those of you that might not know Scott, he's a straight up guy, no BS, been around this stuff long time.
Ozzie
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »
Hello OzzieII:

I hear you about needing a step by step manual re Hi-Tech mods for the Mach3, but don't be so quick to write off learning some electronics. If a person absolutely has to just start cutting metal, even a new Haas or Mitsubishi CNC mill or lathe will take some study before you can do anything with it; and about $45,000.00 or more up front.

Mach3 is a way to get into CNC for a very small $dollar investment, but not at all plug-and-play.

Look at it like an adventure in electrical/mechanical schooling, with a lot of fellow students. Be patient, try stuff, follow the forums, and things eventually will make sense, and fall into place.

The "Arduino" is a family of micro-computer boards designed in Italy by a group of very savvy computer engineers with the goal of making electronics and computers usable,  and understandable to the newbie. The boards are in the neighborhood of $30 to $75, follow a basic, similar layout, run on 3.5 or 5 volts DC, and use an easily learned programming system. It uses a basic form of the "C" computer language, and they have an excellent reference forum, explaining in detail every imaginable task you can think of, and then some. Many of the contributors to the forum are professional software engineers, and University teachers who enjoy helping people learn. It, the "Arduino", is a truly outstanding development platform used worldwide.

There are many Mach3 users who have employed the Arduino in projects as an addition to their CNC systems. There are step-by-step examples to be found within this Mach3 forum.

In a way, the Pokeys is similar to the Arduino, but is a "stand alone" pulse engine, and is also a microcomputer. However, the Pokeys has far fewer people to provide hands on assistance, being a very small Hi-Tech company. The both "talk" to the PC running Mach3 through the USB, or Ethernet port.

I have been in the CNC machining business since the 1980's, and used to write programs on a TeleType machine, on paper tape rolls. The world of CNC machining and the related electronics have come a long, long ways, and what we watch these machines do today is indistinguishable from "magic."

Hang in there, and be patient. Things have a way of eventually working out.