Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:33:13 PM

Author Topic: Can't get 2.2KW spindle to work  (Read 14590 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get 2.2KW spindle to work
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
Arturo, Should the vfd be configured so that it uses only the analog for direction and speed?  At mid voltage (5V) it would be stopped. 5-0 would be varying reverse speed, 5-10 would be varying forward speed.  

Mike, hook your meter to the analog outs that would go to the vfd with things configured so you get 10 volts at full speed and 5 volts for half speed as you described.  With the meter hooked up see what the analog voltage goes to when you close mach.

Brett
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:33:43 PM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 05:43:06 PM »
Hi Guys,
So, here is the result of what I did at Brett's request:

Hooked the meter to the analog out terminals, powered  the router only up. Read 0.85-0.9 volt.
Than opened Mach, MDI-ed 24000 RPM, read 9.8 - 10.05 volts.
MDI-ed M5, the spindle stopped.
Tried it again, spindle started, pressed reset, spindle stopped.
OK I said, problem solved. Not quite, when I close Mach, spindle starts up, voltage rapidly fluctuates between 0.0 and 1.5 volt.
However, disconnecting the meter, spindle went back to it's old trick, didn't stop again, tries to stop, but keeps repeating this on-off cycle until I power off. Very strange behavior. Thru out all this both relay LEDs are lit on the C41, there should only be one on.
I hope this tell you Guys something.
Mike
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 06:28:51 AM »
Brett/Mike,

The VFD you are using does not support direction, just start/stop.  The C41 clicks the relay to start when there is a valid PWM present. The relay will close the contact to start the relay.

Here are some thoughts on what could be going on:

- It is important to clarify that when you say the spindle starts, you are confirming if the relay is clicking, that the LED for the relay lights.  so we can see if that the activation does come from the C41, not from a faulty connection.

- Check the wiring: http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/JINAN2ESS.pdf. Make sure it is exactly like that.  My thinking is that you are using a different common for the connection of step and dir signals or the VFD connections, that is why you see that behavior when you use the multimeter, which closes the contact.  This would also explain why the spindle will start when you close mach3.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
Hi Guys,
Happy to report that spindle is working now the way it should. At least for now. I talked to Arturo on the phone this morning ( He is a nice Guy too), came to the conclusion that noise may be preventing the spindle from stopping. I used shielded wires for the limits, and also shielded the spindle cable (what the Chinese people didn't do) to the star ground. Well in my wisdom, I disconnected the spindle shielding from the system. And this seamed to solve the problem. Go figure. Now comes the next step in this retrofit saga, implementing the MPG. But that's tomorrow's problem.
Thank you All for helping me.
Mike

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 04:13:51 PM »
 :)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
Good to hear you got it working, noise can be a nightmare and it sometimes seems like curing it needs a bit of black magic.
 VFD's can produce a lot of noise and the cheaper brands can be very bad.
Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 09:33:21 AM »
Hi Hood,
It looks like I spoke too soon. It was working yesterday, the spindle stopped on M5 command and on reset too. This morning it is the same as before. I have a question: When the system is on, C41 board is on, VFD is on and showing 0 on its display, should I be seeing 0.88 volt across the analog output terminals when the relay LED is not lit?
I put his question to Arturo too, waiting for his replay. I believe this VFD must be the cheapest one they could find in China, the strange thing is that it worked good before the retrofit. I think my ex wife put a curse on me.
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 11:01:37 AM »
Afraid I know nothing about how the C41 works, you will have to wait for Arturo to reply I think.

Hood